New Sprint/Nextel Phone

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
December 24, 2004 11:36:43 PM

I spoke to a Sprint Supervisior yesterday while I needed something fixed on
my account and we started talking about new phones.
She memtioned to me to hold off and wait because in early 2005 Sprint is
comming out with a "dual" phone that will work on both networks.
She also said they would be upgrading the software on thier phone for the
"push to talk" as Nextels software is better.

More about : sprint nextel phone

Anonymous
December 24, 2004 11:36:44 PM

skg@monmouth.com wrote in news:v5%yd.16536$Mz2.4484@fe10.lga:

> She memtioned to me to hold off and wait because in early 2005
> Sprint is comming out with a "dual" phone that will work on both
> networks.

I seriously doubt that it will be ready in early 2005. Maybe early 2006.
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 11:36:45 PM

Neon Knight wrote:

> skg@monmouth.com wrote in news:v5%yd.16536$Mz2.4484@fe10.lga:
>
> > She memtioned to me to hold off and wait because in early 2005
> > Sprint is comming out with a "dual" phone that will work on both
> > networks.
>
> I seriously doubt that it will be ready in early 2005. Maybe early 2006.

Not to mention that Sprint's (among others) release dates have
been historically inaccurate.

Notan
Related resources
December 25, 2004 3:21:58 AM

skg@monmouth.com wrote:

> I spoke to a Sprint Supervisior yesterday while I needed something fixed on
> my account and we started talking about new phones.
> She memtioned to me to hold off and wait because in early 2005 Sprint is
> comming out with a "dual" phone that will work on both networks.
> She also said they would be upgrading the software on thier phone for the
> "push to talk" as Nextels software is better.

I wonder if this "software upgrade" will be for current sprint PTT.
It's okay, but going through vision for PTT left a weird delay.
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 1:28:14 PM

No reason to hold off and wait to buy a new phone. There won't be any
dual network phones until late 2006. I'm amused at all these rumors
flying around that are so false.
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 3:04:13 PM

skg@monmouth.com wrote:
> I spoke to a Sprint Supervisior yesterday while I needed something fixed on
> my account and we started talking about new phones.
> She memtioned to me to hold off and wait because in early 2005 Sprint is
> comming out with a "dual" phone that will work on both networks.
> She also said they would be upgrading the software on thier phone for the
> "push to talk" as Nextels software is better.

Wow, how horribly misinformed she is.

For one thing, it's been clearly announced that this merger isn't going
to really get into gear tech-wise until LATE 2005. And even then, the
push will be to get people OFF iDEN and onto CDMA 1xEV-DO, which will be
the evolution of Sprint's current network. Nextel's PTT will
ultimatley ve transitioned to QChat, which is completely different
(although compatible) to iDEN.

And all of this is still pending shareholder and regulatory approval.
While the merger is likely to happen, the slight possibility exists that
maybe it won't.

Bottom line: even if the merger goes through, you probably wouldn't want
a Nextel-Sprint hybrid phone, assuming one is even made, because in the
long term it won't be of any real use.

If you really want to keep your next phone for a long, long time, then
wait for the 1xEV-DO phones to be released (but prepared, they could
still be anywhere from 8 months to two years away). If not, then it's
okay to upgrade now.

--
E-mail address munged to thwart spammers.
Transpose the c's and a's in my address to reply by e-mail.