Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Use Dlink DSL-2750U as wireless repeater

Last response: in Wireless Networking
February 15, 2013 6:53:49 AM

I have a new internet router linksys EA2700 Firmware Version: 1.0.14, the wireless signal doesn't cover the whole house so I like to extend the wireless signal using my old router Dlink DSL-2750U as Access point, I configured the two router as following but yet didn't work.

Linksys
DHCP: enabled,
IP lease range 192.168.1.100 to 150
Wireless SSID, Security Mode, Passphrase, Channel Width and Channel number same as Dlink

Dlink:
DHCP: disabled
AP Mode: Access point
Bridge Restrict:Enabled
Remote Bridges MAC Address: is the linksys MAC.
And I removed the Layer2Interface and WAN old configuration.

What's missing or is it really possible to use Dlink Router as access point?

Best solution

a b F Wireless
February 15, 2013 2:26:59 PM

I take it you're trying to create a WDS bridge between these two routers, per pg 76. of the manual.

ftp://support.dlink.co.in/broadband/DSL-2750U/manual/DS...

That's a problem. You see, WDS is NOT a wifi standard, and as such implementations vary, and that makes incompatibilities VERY common. So common in fact, that unless you're using, at a minimum, devices from the SAME manufacturer, it's not likely to work. Heck, many times even that's not enough. It has to be the same exact make, model, and firmware!

So I’m not the least bit surprised if this WDS bridge between the Linksys and D-Link doesn’t work.

P.S. Manufacturers rarely mention this issue of incompatibility, probably because they’re a bit embarrassed to admit they're using non-standard protocols.
February 16, 2013 12:59:29 PM

Best answer selected by JoeAdam.
m
l
Related resources
February 16, 2013 1:00:28 PM

Thanks Addict

I think I finally realized this fact!
m
l
May 10, 2014 12:31:45 PM

hi joe, i know what you are going through.I had the same problem until now.Im not taking credit for what i am about to share...this worked for me,i hope it works for you too...i have a mweb fon router,no idea what make it is but ya...i didnt change anything in the main router/modem,just in the dlink 2750u....if the hyper link doesnt show, just drop me an email...timvorster3@gmail.com her it is...http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=40856.0

best of luck
m
l
!