n00b question

Javic

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2002
Ok, I'm sure this has been asked a BILLION times in here, but I'm feeling lazy tonight and don't feel like searching all over for the answer. :tongue:

Corsair XMS memory. What is the difference between the LL models and the C2 models? which is better?

Some example model numbers:
CMX512-3200LL 2-2-2-6-T1 $155 @NewEgg w/ Plat head spreaders
CMX512-3200C2 2-3-3-6-T1 $135 @NewEgg w/ Plat head spreaders

I notice the differences in the "CAS Latency" numbers, but for a n00b, what exactly do these stand for, and how much REAL WORLD difference is there between the two? Is it really worth the $20 difference other than to say you have the FASTEST out there?

Also, what's the differnce performance wise between the platinum and regular heat spreaders? The Plat are cheaper by between $2 and $12, depending on model. Which distribute heat better?

Sorry about all the stupid questions, but this is the first system I'll be building with DDR memory, other than my parents rig with no OC'ing using "value" memory due to cost.

Addition: I'll be using the memory in Dual DDR400 setup if that has any bearing on the responses. -Thanks!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Javic on 04/10/03 10:08 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

tRiXtA

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
as far as i am concerned there is no difference in the heatspreaders, they just look different.

<b>The pentium 2 I once adored is dead! Long live my barton savagely ripping 1561 fps in soldier of fortune!!! :)</b>

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
the timings on the ll models are lower therefore it is capable of going faster. Get the LL stick and get me one too!

Treat your body like a $600 car. God didn't intend it to last so use it. Run it into the ground!

Javic

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2002
hahaha.... no. But I WILL get myself 2 sets of the 1GB pairs :smile: . Once the Canterwood boards come out that is...

Thanks for the info. I've actually gotten off my lazy ass a bit since that post and read some of the other posts in this section and found some great links that explain all the settings.

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
2gb of ram?! seriously you do not need a second gig. Not for home use, I don't care what apps you are running you will NOT use it. So send it to me. lol unless you are planning to build a massive server ...even then you will be quite fine with just one gig of ram

Treat your body like a $600 car. God didn't intend it to last so use it. Run it into the ground!

Javic

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2002
I actually will probably begin with 1GB, but eventually will increase it to two. A always "hand down" my boards when I upgrade, so as an example.. the dual P3 850 w/2GB PC100 in this machine will be replacing the P3 600 w/512 800RDRAM in my server. Then the P3 600 will become my HTPC.

I'm also going to be running the new system with no pagefile, as I have this one. Even though it's Win2K and "technically" you can't run without a page file, I've got a RamDisk running and have the pagefile configured on there, so essentially even though it still swaps, its swapping to memory instead of to disk. Its actually quite amazing the instant performance increase I noted when I first set this up. So, anyway, I end up using around 800MB ram on a regular basis.

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
swap file in ramdisc...interesting very interesting. I run xp so don't have to have a swap but I run one anyways from my deskstar...I need more ram now I want to do something like that great idea javic! I only have 256mb of pc3200 I need more than that for a swap. How did you set the ram disc to start with windows?

Javic

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2002
I use a little program called <A HREF="http://www.cenatek.com/product_ramdisk.cfm" target="_new">RamDiskNT</A> that actually has a setting to make the Ram Drive usable for the pagefile! Click this and it loads the Ram Drive prior to where Win2K creates the swapfile :) It actually works very VERY nicely.