compaq drive cage scsi ids

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
i have two compaq drive cages, actually 3 soon, that i want to use. i was planning to use them on one scsi channel but it turns out that may not be possible. the cage automaticaly assignes 5 hard drives 5 scsi ids (1 through 5). as you can see this poses a problem if there is another cage on the same scsi cage. it would also try to use scsi id 1 through 5. is there any way to force it to use other ids?

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
well, i think i got it figured out. i enabled some plug and play setting in the scsi bios setup and it recognises all 6 drives with different ids. it produced the desired result but also introduced somthing i dont quite understand. when the cages are side by side, and the top drive on one cage is accessed for any reason, the top drive in the other cage also responds. same as for the second, third and so on. i set one raid 5 array for each cage, i access one array and the other also responds. its very strange and im a little worried that it could do some damage. any one have any insight into this behavior?

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!