PC Builders (especially): Favorite PC Cases?

DuckTape

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2002
Hello folks.

What are your favorite mid-tower and full-tower PC cases (brand/specific model), and why?

I am especially interested in hearing from those who build PC's and have experiences with a variety of PC cases.

Many thanks!
DuckTape

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
I like the Kingwin aluminum alloy cases.
<A HREF="http://www.kingwin.com" target="_new">http://www.kingwin.com</A>
Available at <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com" target="_new">http://www.newegg.com</A>

Reasons:

1. They are highly competitive with Lian Li cases in both form and function, but cost significantly less. Why do they cost less? Instead of using pure aluminum, Kingwin cases use an aluminum alloy. They are still much lighter than a steel case, but not quite as light as a full-aluminum case. For adding 10% more weight, you save around 20% in price.

2. They look good and are very well constructed, with no sharp edges on the inside. They are quality cases.

3. They come with a very nice and complete set of hardware.

4. The case is assembled with thumbscrews, meaning you don't need to hunt down a screwdriver just to get inside.

5. The cases have a pull-out motherboard tray, which makes initial construction and upgrades much, MUCH easier.

6. The case comes with many fans, and has room for many more, meaning the cooling on these cases is excellent.

7. The pre-installed cabling is neatly routed along the bottom and sides of the case.

8. You can choose your power supply, which I think is a good thing.

<-----Insert witty sig line here.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm a builder, a long time builder. I've always liked Inwin and Enlight cases for quality, they are thick, have debured edges, quiet, sturdy, etc. In fact, I've liked these companies even back to the AT form factor days.

I also like Chieftec cases, like the ones Antec uses. These are also thick and include a nice side latch.

I use a Palo Alto case because it's high density plastic, very quiet, very sturdy, very flexible.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Similar to mr Twitch.
The SB-201, marketed under a number of company names; Kingwin, Dynatron, Atlas and the parent company, Superflower.

Nice and big, lots o' casefans (6), 2 rear fans, 1 top fan, blaaack :smile: , removable hdd tray, removable mobo tray 2 rear fans blah blah blah.

<b>When life hands you lemons, ask for a bottle of tequila and salt</b>
<A HREF="http://members.iinet.net.au/~lhgpoobaa/images" target="_new">My Images!</A>

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Hey Crash... a question... Do yo know who makes the AOpen cases?

They look a lot like Inwin and they have the Powerman supplies that InWin uses... but of course that doesn't prove anything.

To respond to the original question... I've been using InWin and lately have switched to AOpen for availability reasons and have no complaints about either.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm not certain, but I can tell you this: All my Aopen cases have been medium duty (not heavy duty) and well designed. As such I would recommend them if they had a feature you were looking for.

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
The thing is they don't really look alike, inside or out, but the construction method is very similar... and there's the PowerMan supply which is In-Win's brand.

It really doesn't matter... both InWin and AOpen are good cases.

Just curious really.... thanks.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm just implying that they are using Power Man supplies because that's who makes their own power supplies. Power Man isn't Inwin's own brand as far as I know, but rather the FSP group's brand.

Auburn9698

Champion
Antec doesn't make cases...next?
Umm...I don't remember the question being about the name of the company that owns the factory in which the cases are made. I remember it being about what is your favorite case. Yes, I KNOW some different brands of cases are made using the same parts that are then re-branded. I use Antec cases, thus they are my favorite.

NEXT?!?!

Go back and use your EYES to read the first post, Crash. Then read my first reply....all **4** words of it. I never said they MADE them.

War Eagle<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Auburn9698 on 04/14/03 11:08 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

jankphil

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
"Yes, I KNOW some different brands of cases are made using the same parts that are then multibranded. I use Antec cases, thus they are my favorite."

That's great, i hope you enjoy your antec sticker and PSU, but antec does not manufacture that case you made. Antec buys those cases from another company called chieftec. I agree with crashman's thought because their are A LOT of companies that use the chieftec cases, slap their name on it, and sell it as their own company's case. And i'll garentee you my chieftec case is every bit as well built and sturdy as your antec one ^_^. And so are peoples Enermax, koolance and thermaltake cases. Their all basicly somewhat customised (painted/psu/water cooling) chieftec cases.

<A HREF="http://users.cableaz.com/~jankphil/pics/gally10.gif" target="_new">pic included</A>

"What kind of idiot are you?"
"I don't know, what kinds are there?"

Auburn9698

Champion
That's great, i hope you enjoy your antec sticker and PSU, but antec does not manufacture that case you made. Antec buys those cases from another company called chieftec.
Hey Jankphil, that's exactly what I was freaking saying, Einstein!!!!!

OK, let me spell it out for everybody, since you guys are OBVIOUSLY not catching on...

I know that Antec cases are not taken from raw materials through the manufacturing process and 100% assembled by Antec employees in an Antec factory. I buy cases from the Antec brand because they are readily available from local stores with Antec brand power supplies in them, and I can return them to the local store if I have a problem with them instead of messing with mail order, while other specific brands of cases (i.e. Chieftec) are not as common in my area.

That clear enough for ya?

Read my posts again. I never said Antec manufactured the focking cases.

War Eagle<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Auburn9698 on 04/13/03 09:40 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

jankphil

Distinguished
May 17, 2002
uh...100% assembled? You mean placing a psu into the case. you apparently are listening, you DO NOT have a Antec case. you have a CHIEFTEC case with Antec's name's on it. it IS NOT assembled in an Antec factory. the raw materials are crafted into the CASE IN A CHIEFTEC FACTORY! Antec BUY'S these CHIEFTEC CASES, and throws their name on it. Therefore you DO NOT have an ANTEC BRAND CASE. It's just something Antec throws their name on....

Go to www.newegg.com. Look at the cases, they look identical right. That's because THEY ARE!

"What kind of idiot are you?"
"I don't know, what kinds are there?"

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
I think he understands. He's saying he has bought the Antec labelled cases and he likes them. Can we possibly be any MORE pedantic???

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Hi Twitch... even worse, it's already been explained that he bought the Antec case on basis of local availability...

Ok he bought a chieftek case with the Antec name on it, because that's what he could get in his area...

I just don't see why this is a problem.

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
Hi Teq. If it's got an Antec badge on it, it's an Antec. Right? I mean, nVidia doesn't make graphics cards either, but people always say they have an "nVidia graphics card." :smile: Okay, I know--apples to watermelons--false analogy--logical fallacy. I forgot how pedantic we all are.

Auburn9698

Champion
Dude...RE-READ my freakin post, please....that is EXACTLY what I was saying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know that Antec cases are not...
Do you see the word "not" in my previous post? Do you know what that word means? By putting that KEY word in there, I was saying that I know the activites listed after that are NOT things that Antec does.

The only one not listening is YOU.

Oh, and with regards to this:
Therefore you DO NOT have an ANTEC BRAND CASE. It's just something Antec throws their name on....
...that MEANS it is Antec-branded. Taking a product, regardless of the manufacturer and selling it under brand name ______ is part of what branding IS. Antec-branded does not mean Antec-manufactured.

War Eagle<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Auburn9698 on 04/14/03 09:14 AM.</EM></FONT></P>