Driver problems using Alfa AWUS036NHR as a range extender for laptop

zenaer

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
Hello everyone,

Foreground:
I am a university student and my building is made of concrete so I get pretty spotty wireless (lag at 9000+ ping on games?!). To improve my connection quality I was recommended the Alfa AWUS036NHR USB network adapter (http://www.amazon.com/Alfa-AWUS036NHR-High-Gain-Wireless-N-Strongest/dp/B005ETA5K2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360958410&sr=8-1&keywords=alfa+awus036nhr)

The adapter itself works marvelously but here's the problem: when I install the adapter, the existing wireless drivers on my laptop fail and I cannot use the internal laptop NIC even when the adapter is unplugged. It says the device is ready but does not detect any networks. When I reinstall the NIC drivers, the adapter doesn't work anymore.

Device manager still shows both drivers installed and running but the corresponding NIC/adapter won't detect any networks.

What I have tried:
-Disabling the other driver, reinstalling other driver
-Disabling a functioning driver to attempt to get the other device to work
-Trying different versions of the drivers--a longshot I know

My hardware:
Internal NIC:: Realtek RTL8723A Wireless Lan 802.11n USB 2.0
External adapter: Alfa AWUS036NHR using Realtek RTL8192C USB 802.11B/G/N 300M Wireless NIC drivers for Windows 8
Laptop: Lenovo Yoga 13 (i7 version), no ethernet port available, Windows 8 Pro

My question is, can I use both of them (not at the same time) without having to reinstall drivers each and every time I switch?

Gerd van Coevorden

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

I'm having a kind of the same problem. But i can't even install the alfa driver. When i try to do that, the Yoga stalls. It doesn't work until i dosconnect the ALFA Awus036nhr. How did you install the drivers of the ALfa AWUS036nhr?

zenaer

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012

I went to the Alfa website and downloaded their win8 drivers. Just type in the model in the driver search section.

Latest posts