What is the best single-player strategy game right now?

Last response: in Video Games
June 15, 2005 10:41:19 AM

What is the best first-person strategy game right now? (RTS or turn-
based).

The last two strategy games that I really liked were SMAC and Rise of
Nations. I repeatedly tried to like Civ III but, in the end,
uninstalled it for my own good.

Are there any good strategy games coming out soon that I might wait
for?

-Dan Damouth
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 10:41:20 AM

Yes Civ 3 was all sorts of banal.

Dominions 2 - Why? it has so many options, thousands of units and great
multiplayer.

Master of Orion - Don't be fooled by the sequels, this is the best.

Warcraft 3 - Great battle management, it's like street fighter +
starcraft,
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 4:42:42 PM

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 06:41:19 GMT, Daniel Damouth wrote:

> What is the best first-person strategy game right now? (RTS or turn-
> based).

How important is graphics for you? If it's not the main criterion, take a
look at "Battle for Wesnoth" (http://wesnoth.org/). It's turn-based,
open-source and free. The AI is quite sophisticated and puts up a fight
even on the easier settings.

For RTS, I'd still recommend Timegate's "Kohan 2 -- Kings of War". Came out
just in fall last year and was unfortunately completely overlooked. Just
like the two Kohan games before it.

M.
--
ClamWin, an open source antivirus software for Windows:
http://www.clamwin.com/

In article <Xns9675F0F93E32Ddamouthsanrrcom@66.75.169.11>,
damouth@san.rr.com (Daniel Damouth) wrote:

> What is the best first-person strategy game right now?

I thought Cossacks2 might be impressive, but the demo confused
the hell out of me. Gave up in the end, whereas the Cossacks1
demo kept me happy for weeks before I eventually bought the
game.

I still enjoy RoN, but then I came to the party a little late.

Andrew Mcp
June 15, 2005 5:01:34 PM

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 06:41:19 GMT, Daniel Damouth <damouth@san.rr.com>
wrote:

>What is the best first-person strategy game right now? (RTS or turn-
>based).
>
>The last two strategy games that I really liked were SMAC and Rise of
>Nations. I repeatedly tried to like Civ III but, in the end,
>uninstalled it for my own good.
>
>Are there any good strategy games coming out soon that I might wait
>for?
>
>-Dan Damouth

Might want to wait for Galciv2 now but it's a decent game.
http://www.galciv.com/index.asp?c=1&u=0
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 7:22:40 PM

Daniel Damouth <damouth@san.rr.com> wrote in

> Are there any good strategy games coming out soon that I might wait
> for?

Still alive on my machine are Wesnoth, Dominions 2, and Space Empires IV.
Even though the last two are multi-player Im almost entirely a solo player
and I find them enoyable over and over even in solo play.

Coming soon:
Wesnoth is always updating, Dominions 3 has entered beta, Space Empires V
has entered beta.

Gandalf Parker
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 7:22:41 PM

"Gandalf Parker" <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites>
> Daniel Damouth <damouth@san.rr.com> wrote in
>
> > Are there any good strategy games coming out soon that I might wait
> > for?
>

> Still alive on my machine are Wesnoth, Dominions 2, and Space Empires IV.
> Even though the last two are multi-player Im almost entirely a solo player
> and I find them enoyable over and over even in solo play.
>
> Coming soon:
> Wesnoth is always updating, Dominions 3 has entered beta, Space Empires V
> has entered beta.

Those are fine selections.

I have to at least nod in the direction of civ3. I don't know what to expect
from civ4 and when it will come out, but civ3 has gameplay in spades. After
the original, I never much cared for Civ2, but civ3 bypasses my complaints
and provides enough gameplay to keep any single player strategy gamer happy.

dfs
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 10:04:43 PM

David Short <David.no.Short@wright.spam.edu.please> wrote:
> I have to at least nod in the direction of civ3. I don't know what to expect
> from civ4 and when it will come out, but civ3 has gameplay in spades. After
> the original, I never much cared for Civ2, but civ3 bypasses my complaints
> and provides enough gameplay to keep any single player strategy gamer happy.

The first Civ was great, but it had some serious issues (e.g. guys with
spears taking out battleships).

Civ II corrected all the problems with the original Civ, and enhanced
it in ways that made the game better without taking anything away.
I'm planning to nominate Brian Reynolds for sainthood. :-)

Civ 3 had some good things and some bad things. It introduced some
novel concepts, not all of which worked out well.

Civ 4 ... we'll see.

My personal nominations: Jagged Alliance 2, Silent Storm: Sentinels,
and the original Total Annihilation. I'm not an RTS guy though.

--
Send mail to fadden@fadden.com (Andy McFadden) - http://www.fadden.com/
CD-Recordable FAQ - http://www.cdrfaq.org/

In article <%4_re.875$p%3.6655@typhoon.sonic.net>, fadden@fadden.com
says...

> Civ 3 had some good things and some bad things. It introduced some
> novel concepts, not all of which worked out well.

Any player of Civ3 NEEDS to get the Rise and Rule modpack. Adds an
unbelievable amount of goodness to the game.

http://civ3.bernskov.com/RaR/download.asp

--
smr
Anonymous

"Daniel Damouth" <damouth@san.rr.com> wrote in message
> What is the best first-person strategy game right now? (RTS or turn-
> based).
>
> The last two strategy games that I really liked were SMAC and Rise of
> Nations. I repeatedly tried to like Civ III but, in the end,
> uninstalled it for my own good.
>
> Are there any good strategy games coming out soon that I might wait
> for?

Well, I can tell you the biggest one about to be released is Age of Empires
3.

The latest developments, and probably the most popular online wise (which
can indicate its single player popularity too for a RTS) is Warhammer 40k:
Dawn of War. Its a great single player game with an expansion pack due out
soon with an even more extended single player campaign.

Ceo-
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 4:36:44 PM

> My personal nominations: Jagged Alliance 2, Silent Storm: Sentinels,
> and the original Total Annihilation. I'm not an RTS guy though.

Andy, why is Silent Storm: Sentinels better than Silent Storm...

I stoped playing Silent Storm when aim was showing 92 or 97% of hitting the
bad guys and nothing, no hit, and I really hated that. I am big fan of JA2
and this annoyed me a lot! Thanks for response.

Mario
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 5:43:44 PM

Right now nothing beats Homeworld 2 for multiplyer and the single
player campaign is cool too. And Perimeter is amazing. Ground Control
was also pretty entertaining
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 2:46:12 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions and comments. I downloaded Wesnoth
and am currently going through the tutorial.

Andy McFadden, I remember you from my earliest netrek days, around '93.
I played as Charity, later Tuber (I still play sometimes). My first
computer was an Apple II -- no "+" -- in 7th grade. I programmed
screensaver-like graphical apps, with PEEKs and POKEs. I remember it
with great fondness. I think my father finally got rid of it a few
years ago because the keyboard was flaking. I'm still friends with
Marc Huber, with whom I understand you had some contact.

Memories.

-Dan Damouth
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 7:52:33 AM

Daniel Damouth <damouth@san.rr.com> wrote:
> Andy McFadden, I remember you from my earliest netrek days, around '93.
> I played as Charity, later Tuber (I still play sometimes). My first
> computer was an Apple II -- no "+" -- in 7th grade.
[...]

I remember. Mostly I remember you pummeling me repeatedly. ;-)

The Apple II had any number of good strategy games. The whole "we go" vs.
"I go/you go" concept, made popular by Combat Mission, started with
Computer Ambush about 25 years ago. It amazes me that it took so long to
catch on. The earliest RTS I can think of is Cytron Masters, also by SSI,
also for the Apple II.

Strangely enough, neither game had network play...

--
Send mail to fadden@fadden.com (Andy McFadden) - http://www.fadden.com/
CD-Recordable FAQ - http://www.cdrfaq.org/
CiderPress Apple II archive utility for Windows - http://www.faddensoft.com/
Fight Internet Spam - http://spam.abuse.net/spam/ & http://spamcop.net/
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 1:20:59 PM

wrote:

>What is the best first-person strategy game right now? (RTS or turn-
>based).

Knights of Honor
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 8:02:21 PM

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 03:52:33 GMT, Andy McFadden <fadden@fadden.com>
wrote:
>The Apple II had any number of good strategy games. The whole "we go" vs.
>"I go/you go" concept, made popular by Combat Mission, started with
>Computer Ambush about 25 years ago. It amazes me that it took so long to
>catch on.

i still don't know if it's that popular yet. how many recent games
besides Combat Mission have we\go?
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 9:13:07 PM

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 16:02:21 -0400, Art Weingardner
<artg@softhome.net> wrote:

>i still don't know if it's that popular yet. how many recent games
>besides Combat Mission have we\go?

Space Empires IV does, although I don't use it. So does Age of
Wonders.

Dav Vandenbroucke
davanden at cox dot net
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 6:55:44 AM

Andy McFadden <fadden@fadden.com> wrote:
>The Apple II had any number of good strategy games. The whole "we go" vs.
>"I go/you go" concept, made popular by Combat Mission, started with
>Computer Ambush about 25 years ago. It amazes me that it took so long to
>catch on.

Art Weingardner <artg@softhome.net> wrote:
>i still don't know if it's that popular yet. how many recent games
>besides Combat Mission have we\go?

If anything I'd say the heyday of simulateneous move games ended by the
time Combat Mission came out.

Ross Ridge

--
l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo] rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca

OMG....I don't get how I can play almost every game from the past 10
years but still come upon a new one I've never heard of.

I downloaded Wesnoth last night and thought, oh, maybe a bit too
simplistic and easy. Then, I played a map against the A.I. and got
trounced. Then, I read up on their forum and saw how it is actually a
very hard game and takes a lot of work to do well, especially in those
campaigns....YESSSSSSSSS. I luv turn based, simple, yet difficult
games. Now I have something to do this weekend!
!