What is the best single-player strategy game right now?

What is the best first-person strategy game right now? (RTS or turn-
based).

The last two strategy games that I really liked were SMAC and Rise of
Nations. I repeatedly tried to like Civ III but, in the end,
uninstalled it for my own good.

Are there any good strategy games coming out soon that I might wait
for?

-Dan Damouth
18 answers Last reply
More about what single player strategy game
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    Yes Civ 3 was all sorts of banal.

    Dominions 2 - Why? it has so many options, thousands of units and great
    multiplayer.

    Master of Orion - Don't be fooled by the sequels, this is the best.

    Warcraft 3 - Great battle management, it's like street fighter +
    starcraft,
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 06:41:19 GMT, Daniel Damouth wrote:

    > What is the best first-person strategy game right now? (RTS or turn-
    > based).

    How important is graphics for you? If it's not the main criterion, take a
    look at "Battle for Wesnoth" (http://wesnoth.org/). It's turn-based,
    open-source and free. The AI is quite sophisticated and puts up a fight
    even on the easier settings.

    For RTS, I'd still recommend Timegate's "Kohan 2 -- Kings of War". Came out
    just in fall last year and was unfortunately completely overlooked. Just
    like the two Kohan games before it.

    M.
    --
    ClamWin, an open source antivirus software for Windows:
    http://www.clamwin.com/

    In article <Xns9675F0F93E32Ddamouthsanrrcom@66.75.169.11>,
    damouth@san.rr.com (Daniel Damouth) wrote:

    > What is the best first-person strategy game right now?

    I thought Cossacks2 might be impressive, but the demo confused
    the hell out of me. Gave up in the end, whereas the Cossacks1
    demo kept me happy for weeks before I eventually bought the
    game.

    I still enjoy RoN, but then I came to the party a little late.

    Andrew Mcp
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 06:41:19 GMT, Daniel Damouth <damouth@san.rr.com>
    wrote:

    >What is the best first-person strategy game right now? (RTS or turn-
    >based).
    >
    >The last two strategy games that I really liked were SMAC and Rise of
    >Nations. I repeatedly tried to like Civ III but, in the end,
    >uninstalled it for my own good.
    >
    >Are there any good strategy games coming out soon that I might wait
    >for?
    >
    >-Dan Damouth

    Might want to wait for Galciv2 now but it's a decent game.
    http://www.galciv.com/index.asp?c=1&u=0
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    Daniel Damouth <damouth@san.rr.com> wrote in

    > Are there any good strategy games coming out soon that I might wait
    > for?

    Still alive on my machine are Wesnoth, Dominions 2, and Space Empires IV.
    Even though the last two are multi-player Im almost entirely a solo player
    and I find them enoyable over and over even in solo play.

    Coming soon:
    Wesnoth is always updating, Dominions 3 has entered beta, Space Empires V
    has entered beta.

    Gandalf Parker
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    "Gandalf Parker" <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites>
    > Daniel Damouth <damouth@san.rr.com> wrote in
    >
    > > Are there any good strategy games coming out soon that I might wait
    > > for?
    >

    > Still alive on my machine are Wesnoth, Dominions 2, and Space Empires IV.
    > Even though the last two are multi-player Im almost entirely a solo player
    > and I find them enoyable over and over even in solo play.
    >
    > Coming soon:
    > Wesnoth is always updating, Dominions 3 has entered beta, Space Empires V
    > has entered beta.

    Those are fine selections.

    I have to at least nod in the direction of civ3. I don't know what to expect
    from civ4 and when it will come out, but civ3 has gameplay in spades. After
    the original, I never much cared for Civ2, but civ3 bypasses my complaints
    and provides enough gameplay to keep any single player strategy gamer happy.

    dfs
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    David Short <David.no.Short@wright.spam.edu.please> wrote:
    > I have to at least nod in the direction of civ3. I don't know what to expect
    > from civ4 and when it will come out, but civ3 has gameplay in spades. After
    > the original, I never much cared for Civ2, but civ3 bypasses my complaints
    > and provides enough gameplay to keep any single player strategy gamer happy.

    The first Civ was great, but it had some serious issues (e.g. guys with
    spears taking out battleships).

    Civ II corrected all the problems with the original Civ, and enhanced
    it in ways that made the game better without taking anything away.
    I'm planning to nominate Brian Reynolds for sainthood. :-)

    Civ 3 had some good things and some bad things. It introduced some
    novel concepts, not all of which worked out well.

    Civ 4 ... we'll see.

    My personal nominations: Jagged Alliance 2, Silent Storm: Sentinels,
    and the original Total Annihilation. I'm not an RTS guy though.

    --
    Send mail to fadden@fadden.com (Andy McFadden) - http://www.fadden.com/
    CD-Recordable FAQ - http://www.cdrfaq.org/

    In article <%4_re.875$p%3.6655@typhoon.sonic.net>, fadden@fadden.com
    says...

    > Civ 3 had some good things and some bad things. It introduced some
    > novel concepts, not all of which worked out well.

    Any player of Civ3 NEEDS to get the Rise and Rule modpack. Adds an
    unbelievable amount of goodness to the game.

    http://civ3.bernskov.com/RaR/download.asp

    --
    smr
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    "Daniel Damouth" <damouth@san.rr.com> wrote in message
    > What is the best first-person strategy game right now? (RTS or turn-
    > based).
    >
    > The last two strategy games that I really liked were SMAC and Rise of
    > Nations. I repeatedly tried to like Civ III but, in the end,
    > uninstalled it for my own good.
    >
    > Are there any good strategy games coming out soon that I might wait
    > for?

    Well, I can tell you the biggest one about to be released is Age of Empires
    3.

    The latest developments, and probably the most popular online wise (which
    can indicate its single player popularity too for a RTS) is Warhammer 40k:
    Dawn of War. Its a great single player game with an expansion pack due out
    soon with an even more extended single player campaign.

    Ceo-
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    > My personal nominations: Jagged Alliance 2, Silent Storm: Sentinels,
    > and the original Total Annihilation. I'm not an RTS guy though.

    Andy, why is Silent Storm: Sentinels better than Silent Storm...

    I stoped playing Silent Storm when aim was showing 92 or 97% of hitting the
    bad guys and nothing, no hit, and I really hated that. I am big fan of JA2
    and this annoyed me a lot! Thanks for response.

    Mario
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    Right now nothing beats Homeworld 2 for multiplyer and the single
    player campaign is cool too. And Perimeter is amazing. Ground Control
    was also pretty entertaining
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    Thank you all for your suggestions and comments. I downloaded Wesnoth
    and am currently going through the tutorial.

    Andy McFadden, I remember you from my earliest netrek days, around '93.
    I played as Charity, later Tuber (I still play sometimes). My first
    computer was an Apple II -- no "+" -- in 7th grade. I programmed
    screensaver-like graphical apps, with PEEKs and POKEs. I remember it
    with great fondness. I think my father finally got rid of it a few
    years ago because the keyboard was flaking. I'm still friends with
    Marc Huber, with whom I understand you had some contact.

    Memories.

    -Dan Damouth
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    Daniel Damouth <damouth@san.rr.com> wrote:
    > Andy McFadden, I remember you from my earliest netrek days, around '93.
    > I played as Charity, later Tuber (I still play sometimes). My first
    > computer was an Apple II -- no "+" -- in 7th grade.
    [...]

    I remember. Mostly I remember you pummeling me repeatedly. ;-)

    The Apple II had any number of good strategy games. The whole "we go" vs.
    "I go/you go" concept, made popular by Combat Mission, started with
    Computer Ambush about 25 years ago. It amazes me that it took so long to
    catch on. The earliest RTS I can think of is Cytron Masters, also by SSI,
    also for the Apple II.

    Strangely enough, neither game had network play...

    --
    Send mail to fadden@fadden.com (Andy McFadden) - http://www.fadden.com/
    CD-Recordable FAQ - http://www.cdrfaq.org/
    CiderPress Apple II archive utility for Windows - http://www.faddensoft.com/
    Fight Internet Spam - http://spam.abuse.net/spam/ & http://spamcop.net/
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    wrote:

    >What is the best first-person strategy game right now? (RTS or turn-
    >based).

    Knights of Honor
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 03:52:33 GMT, Andy McFadden <fadden@fadden.com>
    wrote:
    >The Apple II had any number of good strategy games. The whole "we go" vs.
    >"I go/you go" concept, made popular by Combat Mission, started with
    >Computer Ambush about 25 years ago. It amazes me that it took so long to
    >catch on.

    i still don't know if it's that popular yet. how many recent games
    besides Combat Mission have we\go?
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 16:02:21 -0400, Art Weingardner
    <artg@softhome.net> wrote:

    >i still don't know if it's that popular yet. how many recent games
    >besides Combat Mission have we\go?

    Space Empires IV does, although I don't use it. So does Age of
    Wonders.

    Dav Vandenbroucke
    davanden at cox dot net
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    Andy McFadden <fadden@fadden.com> wrote:
    >The Apple II had any number of good strategy games. The whole "we go" vs.
    >"I go/you go" concept, made popular by Combat Mission, started with
    >Computer Ambush about 25 years ago. It amazes me that it took so long to
    >catch on.

    Art Weingardner <artg@softhome.net> wrote:
    >i still don't know if it's that popular yet. how many recent games
    >besides Combat Mission have we\go?

    If anything I'd say the heyday of simulateneous move games ended by the
    time Combat Mission came out.

    Ross Ridge

    --
    l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
    [oo][oo] rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca

    OMG....I don't get how I can play almost every game from the past 10
    years but still come upon a new one I've never heard of.

    I downloaded Wesnoth last night and thought, oh, maybe a bit too
    simplistic and easy. Then, I played a map against the A.I. and got
    trounced. Then, I read up on their forum and saw how it is actually a
    very hard game and takes a lot of work to do well, especially in those
    campaigns....YESSSSSSSSS. I luv turn based, simple, yet difficult
    games. Now I have something to do this weekend!

PC gaming Games IBM Video Games