Solved

NTLDR is missing, trying to boot from Windows 7 install disk

I am trying to install windows 7. There is currently no windows installation on the hard drive. When I try to boot from the windows 7 DVD it skips the "press any key to boot from disk..." and goes right to saying NTLDR is missing. press ctrl-alt-del to restart. restarting does nothing to change this.

I have tried changing the boot order to boot from the DVD/CD first, and nothing changes there, either.

The dvd drive works on other systems, as with the hard drive.

The hard drive does have some data on it, but I planned on formatting it with the windows 7 DVD before installing windows. Do I need to format the hard disk first?

I have used the install disk before with no problems at all, so there isn't any problem with the DVD itself
Reply to am10159
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about ntldr missing boot windows install disk
  1. This is because your DVD is not the first boot device or not seen. Go into bios and make sure it is the first boot device. Also make sure your DVD drive is seen in the bios. You should see it listed in the boot up.
    Reply to ahnilated
  2. its not reading the dvd

    even though it worked before doesnt mean it will read it now

    check for fingerprints or scratches on the dvd

    and no you dont need to format the drive before -- once it reads the dvd you can format during installation
    Reply to mcnumpty23
  3. ahnilated said:
    This is because your DVD is not the first boot device or not seen. Go into bios and make sure it is the first boot device. Also make sure your DVD drive is seen in the bios. You should see it listed in the boot up.


    It is seen in the bios, and I did set it as the first boot option. Still have the problem
    Reply to am10159
  4. am10159 said:
    It is seen in the bios, and I did set it as the first boot option. Still have the problem


    Then it is not reading that there is a disk in the DVD drive at all or that it is bootable.
    Reply to ahnilated
  5. Best answer
    check in the bios in advance mode. under boot devices and cd-roms. with new bios (i seen in on my asus mb) there are not the old cd-rom and the same drive called efi cd-rom. the efi is a boot device under the new bios if the efi gui bios is the first boot bios. check that under cd-rom the non efi rom drive is set as the first device. and under the efi gui boot bios drop the cd-rom as the first boot device. on power up check that the sata/ide chipset is scanning for the cd-rom it should have the seek led blink a bit at post. also check what sata port the cd-rom is on. with newer mb there the intel sata chipset and the third party chipset..your boot hd and cd-rom should be on the intel chipset.
    Reply to smorizio
  6. Also make sure your DVD drive is seen in the bios. You should see it listed in the boot up.
    Reply to Anonymous
  7. well it turns out I was derping really bad and was using a CD drive... I have never been so embarrased :D wasn't my drive so I wasn't sure, and the labels told me nothing at all :P

    thanks for the help everyone
    Reply to am10159
  8. Best answer selected by am10159.
    Reply to am10159
  9. i wpould be creating a se[erate partition on the 2.5 tb drive and installing windows on that and don't worry about the ssd drive.
    Reply to scotty2236
  10. am10159 said:
    I am trying to install windows 7. There is currently no windows installation on the hard drive. When I try to boot from the windows 7 DVD it skips the "press any key to boot from disk..." and goes right to saying NTLDR is missing. press ctrl-alt-del to restart. restarting does nothing to change this.

    I have tried changing the boot order to boot from the DVD/CD first, and nothing changes there, either.

    The dvd drive works on other systems, as with the hard drive.

    The hard drive does have some data on it, but I planned on formatting it with the windows 7 DVD before installing windows. Do I need to format the hard disk first?

    I have used the install disk before with no problems at all, so there isn't any problem with the DVD itself
    Reply to sarjan
  11. I had the problem and couldn't believe it. After reading other peoples remarks i replaced my CD-ROM and the problem went away. Windows 7 installed with no NTLDR missing. The CD-ROM has always worked and I still have faith in it to keep working. Am wondering if Windows 7 is just a bit more fussy then all the other programs that I install.
    Reply to Percy Jennifer
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Configuration Windows 7 Boot Hard Drives DVD