Sign in with
Your question

Level 0 (stripping) RAID array with a used HDD

Last response: in Storage
April 11, 2003 10:05:14 PM

Hey

I have a computer that I built a few months ago. When I built it, I put a single harddrive in it. I would like to create a stripping (level 0) RAID array, but the trouble is I already have a lot of stuff that I need to keep on my harddrive. Is there a way I can create a level 0 array and keep my data?
I am also building a computer for my fried and he will have a level 0 RAID array in his comp, and I am putting in the same harddrive into his computer as I have in mine. Is there a way I can put the info on his comp temporarily while I install my own RAID array?

Thanks for your time,
Vonkwink
April 11, 2003 10:13:55 PM

Whoops forgot to tell you some stuff

The hard drives are Western Digital 120gb special edition (8mb cache) ata100 drives
My mobo is a gigabyte 845PE (8PE667) ultra drive with promise RAID.
April 12, 2003 2:48:06 PM

No one knows how this can be done ?!?
Related resources
April 12, 2003 3:03:20 PM

NO. You need to backup all your data and start over.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
April 12, 2003 5:18:14 PM

Its absolutely, 100% impossible? Perhaps I could hook up my old hard drive to my friends computer, link them up in a network, and transfer the files onto my computer? There must be some way.
Why would I back up my filesif I had to start over, khha?
April 12, 2003 10:22:46 PM

ahhh .. when you setup RAID it repartitions your drive. meaning data gone. After you set up RAID and go to install windows, windows formats it.

thats just how it is. Pretty much why we name color blue, blue. it just is.

Life is irrelivent and irrational.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>
April 12, 2003 11:13:27 PM

I heard of a program that duplicates the computers - keeps all data the same - even windows and stuff. Would it be possible to duplicate my comp on my friends and reduplicate that back to my computer?
April 12, 2003 11:40:49 PM

Yes. Either Norton Ghost or Powerquest Drive Image.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
April 13, 2003 12:22:23 AM

And that would work flawlessly? E.G. Once I'm done, I see absolutely no difference in what I had before and what I have now besides that my drives run 2x as fast? I can't afford to loose this data...
April 13, 2003 12:33:55 AM

I saw this posted on another place

Quote:
The problem is that the OS (xp in your case) doesn't know about the striping until the RAID driver is loaded. If your NTDETECT and NTLDR files or any of your config files get striped, it will think they are corrupted...

Will this cause me to have problems?
April 13, 2003 3:50:54 AM

you mean drive copy or norten ghost?

but i think that would screw up the the file table for RAID. I think you're gonna learn the hardway because you won't listen to any of the computer profesionals here.

There is no other way you have to reinstall everything.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>
April 13, 2003 5:47:04 AM

Look..

It seems no one wants to put this in layman's terms for you..so I'll do the best I can..

Striping takes and splits all the data across two hard drives...

Meaning...

All the 0's go on one hardrive..and all the 1's go on the other...

This has to be done when the data is initially written to the drive...

When you install the OS...

If you want to just back up data..and not programs...you shouldn't have any problems xferring it from another IDE hard drive or CDRom afterwards..but you will most definetly have to reinstall any programs to the RAID...that is..assuming your using a bootable array..

So..what the other guys are telling you is 100% true...and mind you...you have to use identical hard drives typically in order for striping to work correctly...

Aliu

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
-Albert Einstein
3DMark2001<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6317063" target="_new">http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6317063&lt;/A>
April 13, 2003 3:18:17 PM

i think you're the problem because you arn't listening to anyone.

and this guy sent this to me but it's meant for you.

"aliu42

Look..

It seems no one wants to put this in layman's terms for you..so I'll do the best I can..

Striping takes and splits all the data across two hard drives...

Meaning...

All the 0's go on one hardrive..and all the 1's go on the other...

This has to be done when the data is initially written to the drive...

When you install the OS...

If you want to just back up data..and not programs...you shouldn't have any problems xferring it from another IDE hard drive or CDRom afterwards..but you will most definetly have to reinstall any programs to the RAID...that is..assuming your using a bootable array..

So..what the other guys are telling you is 100% true...and mind you...you have to use identical hard drives typically in order for striping to work correctly...

Aliu"

April 13, 2003 9:45:19 PM

skater, i gotta ask, are you trying to boost your rank or something? you posted like 6 one liners saying the same thing in 5 minutes.

aliu42, it does not put all the 0s on one drive and all the 1s on another. it splits up the data into blocks (the size of which you set yourself) which it puts alternatly on each drive.
I understand that with 2 hard drives and having 1 be old that it cannot be done. My main question had to do with whether or not I could do it with another computer - networking them and using norton ghost. but no one has told me whether or not this will work
April 14, 2003 2:44:32 AM

vonk, so your original question is :
"have a computer that I built a few months ago. When I built it, I put a single harddrive in it. I would like to create a stripping (level 0) RAID array, but the trouble is I already have a lot of stuff that I need to keep on my harddrive. Is there a way I can create a level 0 array and keep my data?
I am also building a computer for my fried and he will have a level 0 RAID array in his comp, and I am putting in the same harddrive into his computer as I have in mine. Is there a way I can put the info on his comp temporarily while I install my own RAID array?"

First, if you RAID, you will erase data. Question answered.

Second, yes, you can use norton ghost (considering you could get the program) to "ghost" your HDD to your friend's HDD over the network. I've used it many times at work, and yes it's pretty useful. However, it's kind of a bitch to figure out the network stuff for running ghost, cause you're gonna connect to his comp through the network right?? You could probably get some x-over cat5 cables which might be easier. Question answered??

Also, do you want to "ghost" your single HDD to your friend's RAID array?? In that case I'm not sure you can.

You said "I understand that with 2 hard drives and having 1 be old that it cannot be done." If you have two identical drives, I don't think it matter how old your HDD is.
April 14, 2003 9:25:08 PM

When I said "old" i didnt actually mean the age - i meant that it had data on it.

Quote:
Also, do you want to "ghost" your single HDD to your friend's RAID array?? In that case I'm not sure you can.

In a way, yes. My friend is going to have a level 5 RAID array. What I wanted to do was "ghost" my hard drive to his, then install a RAID array on my computer, and then ghost "his" (which is actually mine) hard drive back onto mine. He would just "hold" the data temporarily while I installed my RAID. The idea is that I could get around loosing all my data and get my level 0 RAID array.

As far as the networking bit goes, its all fine. I've got a 21 or so port hub in my house, and atleast one jack in each room of half my house (one half of my house is networked), so all i would need to do is plug him in, and im set.
!