Red Alert 2

Does RA2 run on XP? I just found my old CD nd installed it.. but the
game starts and my laptop hangs.( 2 GHz, 256 MB RAM, 64 MB Intel card,
Acer laptop)
5 answers Last reply
More about alert
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    "Renegade" <krishnan.aditya@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Does RA2 run on XP? I just found my old CD nd installed it.. but the
    > game starts and my laptop hangs.( 2 GHz, 256 MB RAM, 64 MB Intel card,
    > Acer laptop)

    Red Alert 2 does run for me, but it is necessary for me to set it to run in
    Windows 98/ME Compatibility Mode, otherwise I'd get a black screen and then
    would be dumped to the desktop. With the compatibility mode, it works 100%.
    At one point in time, it was not necessary for me to do this, but time
    marches on I guess. Also, have you installed the latest patch for it? I
    believe it was version 1.006 off-hand.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    "NightSky 421" <nightsky421@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
    > "Renegade" <krishnan.aditya@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Does RA2 run on XP? I just found my old CD nd installed it.. but the
    >> game starts and my laptop hangs.( 2 GHz, 256 MB RAM, 64 MB Intel card,
    >> Acer laptop)
    >>

    > Red Alert 2 does run for me, but it is necessary for me to set it to run
    > in Windows 98/ME Compatibility Mode, otherwise I'd get a black screen and
    > then would be dumped to the desktop. With the compatibility mode, it
    > works 100%. At one point in time, it was not necessary for me to do this,
    > but time marches on I guess. Also, have you installed the latest patch
    > for it? I believe it was version 1.006 off-hand.

    I just a few minutes ago installed RA2 on my P4, 3.2GHz, 1G RAM, GF5950,
    WinXP box after reading your note. The install halted a couple of times but
    finally installed just fine. While playing the game, again, the game seemed
    to halt for a second from time to time. Graphics were fine. I do have the
    latest patch installed.

    I will try playing again with NightSky's recommendation of Win98
    compatibility mode and see if it makes a difference.

    However, I suspect it is a Hyperthreading issue which might or might not be
    addressed by EA in a future patch.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    "Gsquared" <ggmediaNOT@myway.com> wrote in message

    > I just a few minutes ago installed RA2 on my P4, 3.2GHz, 1G RAM, GF5950,
    > WinXP box after reading your note. The install halted a couple of times
    > but finally installed just fine. While playing the game, again, the game
    > seemed to halt for a second from time to time. Graphics were fine. I do
    > have the latest patch installed.
    >
    > I will try playing again with NightSky's recommendation of Win98
    > compatibility mode and see if it makes a difference.
    >
    > However, I suspect it is a Hyperthreading issue which might or might not
    > be addressed by EA in a future patch.

    I should point out that my processor has Hyperthreading, it's a 2.8GHz P4
    Northwood C CPU. However, I find sometimes with the older games such as
    those from Westwood that even running the Install in Win98/ME compatibility
    mode helps smooth out the installation process. Also, using the same 98/ME
    compatibility mode for the autorun file also speeds things up too! My video
    card is a built by ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB.

    Unfortunately, with Red Alert 2 being five years old this year, I doubt we
    will see any further patches for it. I have to admit that I don't actually
    have RA2/Yuri's Revenge installed any more, I finally wiped it out about six
    months ago. I played many, many games of Yuri's Revenge and as I look back
    at all the RTS's I've played, I played more of it than any other game in the
    genre.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    > I should point out that my processor has Hyperthreading, it's a 2.8GHz P4
    > Northwood C CPU.

    To clarify this point, the game itself ran smoothly with this CPU. I didn't
    have issues with split-second pauses or momentary halts in gameplay. As I
    say, though, it's been about six months since I last had this game
    installed, and who knows if my experience might be worse now with the newer
    driver sets.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    "NightSky 421" <nightsky421@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
    > "Gsquared" <ggmediaNOT@myway.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I just a few minutes ago installed RA2 on my P4, 3.2GHz, 1G RAM, GF5950,
    >> WinXP box after reading your note. The install halted a couple of times
    >> but finally installed just fine. While playing the game, again, the game
    >> seemed to halt for a second from time to time. Graphics were fine. I do
    >> have the latest patch installed.
    >>
    >> I will try playing again with NightSky's recommendation of Win98
    >> compatibility mode and see if it makes a difference.
    >>
    >> However, I suspect it is a Hyperthreading issue which might or might not
    >> be addressed by EA in a future patch.
    >>

    > I should point out that my processor has Hyperthreading, it's a 2.8GHz P4
    > Northwood C CPU. However, I find sometimes with the older games such as
    > those from Westwood that even running the Install in Win98/ME
    > compatibility mode helps smooth out the installation process. Also, using
    > the same 98/ME compatibility mode for the autorun file also speeds things
    > up too! My video card is a built by ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB.
    >
    > Unfortunately, with Red Alert 2 being five years old this year, I doubt we
    > will see any further patches for it. I have to admit that I don't
    > actually have RA2/Yuri's Revenge installed any more, I finally wiped it
    > out about six months ago. I played many, many games of Yuri's Revenge and
    > as I look back at all the RTS's I've played, I played more of it than any
    > other game in the genre.

    Good point. Many people don't know that you can also =install= a game using
    compatibility mode.

    Ditto on the replay; followed by RA and C&C. Generals and WC3 are pulling a
    close second. Oh, and Kohan 2 and DoW ... but I digress.

PC gaming Laptops Video Games