Red Alert 2

Does RA2 run on XP? I just found my old CD nd installed it.. but the
game starts and my laptop hangs.( 2 GHz, 256 MB RAM, 64 MB Intel card,
Acer laptop)

"Renegade" <krishnan.aditya@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Does RA2 run on XP? I just found my old CD nd installed it.. but the
> game starts and my laptop hangs.( 2 GHz, 256 MB RAM, 64 MB Intel card,
> Acer laptop)

Red Alert 2 does run for me, but it is necessary for me to set it to run in
Windows 98/ME Compatibility Mode, otherwise I'd get a black screen and then
would be dumped to the desktop. With the compatibility mode, it works 100%.
At one point in time, it was not necessary for me to do this, but time
marches on I guess. Also, have you installed the latest patch for it? I
believe it was version 1.006 off-hand.

"NightSky 421" <nightsky421@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> "Renegade" <krishnan.aditya@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Does RA2 run on XP? I just found my old CD nd installed it.. but the
>> game starts and my laptop hangs.( 2 GHz, 256 MB RAM, 64 MB Intel card,
>> Acer laptop)
>>

> Red Alert 2 does run for me, but it is necessary for me to set it to run
> in Windows 98/ME Compatibility Mode, otherwise I'd get a black screen and
> then would be dumped to the desktop. With the compatibility mode, it
> works 100%. At one point in time, it was not necessary for me to do this,
> but time marches on I guess. Also, have you installed the latest patch
> for it? I believe it was version 1.006 off-hand.

I just a few minutes ago installed RA2 on my P4, 3.2GHz, 1G RAM, GF5950,
WinXP box after reading your note. The install halted a couple of times but
finally installed just fine. While playing the game, again, the game seemed
to halt for a second from time to time. Graphics were fine. I do have the
latest patch installed.

I will try playing again with NightSky's recommendation of Win98
compatibility mode and see if it makes a difference.

However, I suspect it is a Hyperthreading issue which might or might not be
addressed by EA in a future patch.

"Gsquared" <ggmediaNOT@myway.com> wrote in message

> I just a few minutes ago installed RA2 on my P4, 3.2GHz, 1G RAM, GF5950,
> WinXP box after reading your note. The install halted a couple of times
> but finally installed just fine. While playing the game, again, the game
> seemed to halt for a second from time to time. Graphics were fine. I do
> have the latest patch installed.
>
> I will try playing again with NightSky's recommendation of Win98
> compatibility mode and see if it makes a difference.
>
> However, I suspect it is a Hyperthreading issue which might or might not
> be addressed by EA in a future patch.

I should point out that my processor has Hyperthreading, it's a 2.8GHz P4
Northwood C CPU. However, I find sometimes with the older games such as
those from Westwood that even running the Install in Win98/ME compatibility
mode helps smooth out the installation process. Also, using the same 98/ME
compatibility mode for the autorun file also speeds things up too! My video
card is a built by ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB.

Unfortunately, with Red Alert 2 being five years old this year, I doubt we
will see any further patches for it. I have to admit that I don't actually
have RA2/Yuri's Revenge installed any more, I finally wiped it out about six
months ago. I played many, many games of Yuri's Revenge and as I look back
at all the RTS's I've played, I played more of it than any other game in the
genre.

> I should point out that my processor has Hyperthreading, it's a 2.8GHz P4
> Northwood C CPU.

To clarify this point, the game itself ran smoothly with this CPU. I didn't
have issues with split-second pauses or momentary halts in gameplay. As I
say, though, it's been about six months since I last had this game
installed, and who knows if my experience might be worse now with the newer
driver sets.

"NightSky 421" <nightsky421@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> "Gsquared" <ggmediaNOT@myway.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I just a few minutes ago installed RA2 on my P4, 3.2GHz, 1G RAM, GF5950,
>> WinXP box after reading your note. The install halted a couple of times
>> but finally installed just fine. While playing the game, again, the game
>> seemed to halt for a second from time to time. Graphics were fine. I do
>> have the latest patch installed.
>>
>> I will try playing again with NightSky's recommendation of Win98
>> compatibility mode and see if it makes a difference.
>>
>> However, I suspect it is a Hyperthreading issue which might or might not
>> be addressed by EA in a future patch.
>>

> I should point out that my processor has Hyperthreading, it's a 2.8GHz P4
> Northwood C CPU. However, I find sometimes with the older games such as
> those from Westwood that even running the Install in Win98/ME
> compatibility mode helps smooth out the installation process. Also, using
> the same 98/ME compatibility mode for the autorun file also speeds things
> up too! My video card is a built by ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB.
>
> Unfortunately, with Red Alert 2 being five years old this year, I doubt we
> will see any further patches for it. I have to admit that I don't
> actually have RA2/Yuri's Revenge installed any more, I finally wiped it
> out about six months ago. I played many, many games of Yuri's Revenge and
> as I look back at all the RTS's I've played, I played more of it than any
> other game in the genre.

Good point. Many people don't know that you can also =install= a game using
compatibility mode.

Ditto on the replay; followed by RA and C&C. Generals and WC3 are pulling a
close second. Oh, and Kohan 2 and DoW ... but I digress.