Sign in with
Your question
Solved

RC to RTM

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
February 25, 2010 1:49:23 AM

Well, the time is almost here for me (us?) to upgrade to the RTM. I have a question, since all of the information i can find is spotty and varied.

Which version of Windows 7 do i buy? I have heard i cant buy the upgrade version since it is not a "real" version of windows.
Also, how is the OEM version? Does anyone have experience with this site?
I saw the link here on the forums, and it looks nice.

Also, I plan on doing a fresh install, not upgrading (changing the min client .etc)

~Flavoi

More about : rtm

a c 215 $ Windows 7
February 25, 2010 1:56:52 AM

Buy an OEM copy, wipe out the RC install after backing up your data, and do not buy from that site you linked to. I am seriously questioning the validity of their operation... something about charging $300 for a $2500 retail Adobe software package just seems dodgy to me.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 25, 2010 11:14:21 AM

Uh, how exactly is the upgrade version not a "real" version of windows? :heink:  As long as you have a valid copy of XP or Vista, then you should have no problem using the upgrade version. I purchased the Upgrade Professional Edition of Windows 7 and it's a real version of windows. The ONLY difference is that the Upgrade version transfers the license from a previous edition of Windows (XP or Vista) to your Windows 7 License (making the previous copy of XP or Vista no longer valid to use legally). With my copy, I got both 32 and 64-bit version of Windows 7. It's no different than the full package with the exception that when you get the full version, you're paying for an entirely NEW license that doesn't require a previous copy of Windows.

If you want OEM, go to newegg.com and purchase it there. That's definitely legit and it doesn't require that you have a previous copy of Windows.
m
l
Related resources
February 25, 2010 5:49:50 PM

isamuelson said:
Uh, how exactly is the upgrade version not a "real" version of windows? :heink:  As long as you have a valid copy of XP or Vista, then you should have no problem using the upgrade version. I purchased the Upgrade Professional Edition of Windows 7 and it's a real version of windows. The ONLY difference is that the Upgrade version transfers the license from a previous edition of Windows (XP or Vista) to your Windows 7 License (making the previous copy of XP or Vista no longer valid to use legally). With my copy, I got both 32 and 64-bit version of Windows 7. It's no different than the full package with the exception that when you get the full version, you're paying for an entirely NEW license that doesn't require a previous copy of Windows.

If you want OEM, go to newegg.com and purchase it there. That's definitely legit and it doesn't require that you have a previous copy of Windows.

I meant it did not treat the RC as a viable past version of windows. I dont have any old copys of windows ( i use Linux for old machines). So i will just order one off of Newegg then. Home Premium OEM 64 bit here i come!
m
l
February 25, 2010 5:56:08 PM

The_Prophecy said:
Buy an OEM copy, wipe out the RC install after backing up your data, and do not buy from that site you linked to. I am seriously questioning the validity of their operation... something about charging $300 for a $2500 retail Adobe software package just seems dodgy to me.

Ok, sounds very true. I figured that it would not work.
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
February 26, 2010 1:33:09 AM

flavoi said:
I meant it did not treat the RC as a viable past version of windows. I dont have any old copys of windows ( i use Linux for old machines). So i will just order one off of Newegg then. Home Premium OEM 64 bit here i come!

That's probably the best thing to do. You get a licensed copy of Windows (although you don't get any support from Microsoft for it).

The RC was still considered beta, so that's why it won't count as a valid license. As it is, you didn't pay for it since you could download it for free.

Just be sure you get the right version of the OEM because you only get a 32-bit or 64-bit version, not both like you would with an actual retail release of Windows 7 (full or upgrade).
February 26, 2010 5:50:07 PM

Best answer selected by flavoi.
m
l
!