Railroad Tycoon 3??

Always enjoyed the RRT series. When the 3rd installment shipped, I
stopped by the official forums and was dismayed (though unsurprised) to
learn the game had it's fair share of issues/glitches. I noticed that
they're up to v1.05, so I'm wondering if it's worth purchasing? Anyone
out there playing it? Thoughts, comments, etc, to share?

Thanks in advance,

"Volstag" <hawkbeak@hotmail.com> wrote in news:1119461547.641627.232960
@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> Always enjoyed the RRT series. When the 3rd installment shipped, I
> stopped by the official forums and was dismayed (though unsurprised) to
> learn the game had it's fair share of issues/glitches. I noticed that
> they're up to v1.05, so I'm wondering if it's worth purchasing? Anyone
> out there playing it? Thoughts, comments, etc, to share?

Bought all the games of the series. Had incredible fun with the one. Never
became really hooked with version 2 although it probably had more depth
than one and supported decent multiplayer. Version 3 is the prettiest, but
the worst imho. The concept is just too tired. At least for me. I can
understand that it is seen as a good game by people who see it for the
first time though.

--
Pierre Vandevenne - DataRescue sa/nv - www.datarescue.com
The IDA Pro Disassembler & Debugger - world leader in hostile code analysis

"Pierre Vandevenne" <pierre@datarescue.com> wrote in message
> "Volstag" <hawkbeak@hotmail.com> wrote in news:1119461547.641627.232960
> @g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>
> Bought all the games of the series. Had incredible fun with the one. Never
> became really hooked with version 2 although it probably had more depth
> than one and supported decent multiplayer. Version 3 is the prettiest, but
> the worst imho. The concept is just too tired. At least for me. I can
> understand that it is seen as a good game by people who see it for the
> first time though.

I think I will buy it out of the cheapie bin as I need to play with trains
and I haven't the room for a layout.

Cheers, Reddog

Trainz by Auran is a very good layout-type simulator for computer.

On the 22 Jun 2005, "Volstag" <hawkbeak@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Always enjoyed the RRT series. When the 3rd installment shipped, I
> stopped by the official forums and was dismayed (though unsurprised) to
> learn the game had it's fair share of issues/glitches. I noticed that
> they're up to v1.05, so I'm wondering if it's worth purchasing? Anyone
> out there playing it? Thoughts, comments, etc, to share?

Well worth getting, and you should be able to pick it up fairly cheaply
now. While the new 3D graphics are very nice, the biggest advance is
that you're competing with other modes of transport - cargo producers
can choose for themselves how their stuff is moved (so, for example,
steel loads can move across the map to their destination along a river).
It adds a lot more strategy to the game.

--
Jades' First Encounters Site - http://www.jades.org/ffe.htm
The best Frontier: First Encounters site on the Web.

nospam@jades.org /is/ a real email address!

Graham Thurlwell schrieb:
> On the 22 Jun 2005, "Volstag" <hawkbeak@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Always enjoyed the RRT series. When the 3rd installment shipped, I
>>stopped by the official forums and was dismayed (though unsurprised) to
>>learn the game had it's fair share of issues/glitches. I noticed that
>>they're up to v1.05, so I'm wondering if it's worth purchasing? Anyone
>>out there playing it? Thoughts, comments, etc, to share?
>

> Well worth getting, and you should be able to pick it up fairly cheaply
> now. While the new 3D graphics are very nice, the biggest advance is
> that you're competing with other modes of transport - cargo producers
> can choose for themselves how their stuff is moved (so, for example,
> steel loads can move across the map to their destination along a river).
> It adds a lot more strategy to the game.

Amazon.de has it for 10€ - however there seems only to be one version of
Railroad Tycoon 3. Isn´t there some Gold or Platinum version like for
the first two parts of the game with additional missions and maps? Or is
it too early for that and they have yet to come?
bye
Michael

Only 1 version of RT3. You're thinking of RT2, which does come
in gold, then platinum as GoD tried to milk a bit more money out
of it.

--KC

"Kasey Chang (remove EATSPAM to reply)" <kschang77@eatspamhotmail.com> wrote
in message news:6KWAe.1712$mN1.1234@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
> Only 1 version of RT3. You're thinking of RT2, which does come
> in gold, then platinum as GoD tried to milk a bit more money out
> of it.
>
> --KC
>

> "Michael Romes" <NetterNachbar6@lycos.de> wrote in message
>> Graham Thurlwell schrieb:

> that
> Anyone
>> >

>> > Well worth getting, and you should be able to pick it up fairly
> cheaply
>> > now. While the new 3D graphics are very nice, the biggest advance is
>> > that you're competing with other modes of transport - cargo
> producers
>> > can choose for themselves how their stuff is moved (so, for example,
>> > steel loads can move across the map to their destination along a
> river).
>> > It adds a lot more strategy to the game.
>>
>> Amazon.de has it for 10? - however there seems only to be one version
> of
>> Railroad Tycoon 3. Isn´t there some Gold or Platinum version like for
>> the first two parts of the game with additional missions and maps? Or
> is
>> it too early for that and they have yet to come?
>> bye
>> Michael

The latest patch also added a huge "all of the USA" map and scenario and is
called "Railroad Tycoon 3: Coast to Coast", so it can be argued that there
are two versions or releases of RRT3

--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Now, quack, damn you!"

Multiversal Mercenaries
You name it, we kill it. Any time, any reality.

On the 12 Jul 2005, Michael Romes <NetterNachbar6@lycos.de> wrote:

<snip>

> Amazon.de has it for 10€ - however there seems only to be one version of
> Railroad Tycoon 3. Isn´t there some Gold or Platinum version like for
> the first two parts of the game with additional missions and maps? Or is
> it too early for that and they have yet to come?

As James Gassaway mentions, RRT3 developers PopTop released an
'expansion pack' called Coast to Coast, but this is only available
online AFAIK. Presumably, the publishers pulled the retail release. You
can get it via http://www.poptop.com - be warned, the full CTC download
tops 100MB IIRC. The latest patch is available separately.

I'm still on dialup, so haven't got CTC yet. ATM, I can't afford to buy
a USB memory stick thingy to download it to at the library.