New phone won't act as modem for laptop

Last response: in Network Providers
a b D Laptop
January 5, 2005 7:34:35 PM

I just replaced my dead LG5350 for a Samsung VGA1000. My LG phone acted as a
modem for my laptop through a USB cable. I connect that same cable to same
laptop running WinXP and hear the bell telling me pc sees a connected
device. But pc won't ever connect to the new phone and initiate the dial-up
process. "No dial tone detect."

Do I need to change a setting on new phone or something?

--
www.operationuplink.org

More about : phone act modem laptop

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 5, 2005 7:34:36 PM

Xavier Onassis wrote:

> I just replaced my dead LG5350 for a Samsung VGA1000. My LG phone acted as a
> modem for my laptop through a USB cable. I connect that same cable to same
> laptop running WinXP and hear the bell telling me pc sees a connected
> device. But pc won't ever connect to the new phone and initiate the dial-up
> process. "No dial tone detect."
>
> Do I need to change a setting on new phone or something?

Interesting dilemma...

You can't do what Sprint said you're not supposed to do.

Hmmm...

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 5, 2005 9:19:30 PM

"Xavier Onassis" <xavier-onassis@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I just replaced my dead LG5350 for a Samsung VGA1000. My LG phone acted as
> modem for my laptop through a USB cable. I connect that same cable to same
> laptop running WinXP and hear the bell telling me pc sees a connected
> device. But pc won't ever connect to the new phone and initiate the
> dial-up
> process. "No dial tone detect."
>
> Do I need to change a setting on new phone or something?
>
> --
> www.operationuplink.org

You might need to install a special driver specific to your new phone for it
to be recognized as a modem by your PC. That's what I had to do when I
bought a cable for my Toshiba VM-4050. This is, of course, completely aside
from the fact that Sprint doesn't allow such use of a phone (even though,
technically, it's quite doable). Do a google search for USB drivers for your
phone. Maybe the place you bought the cable from has it on their web site,
or can tell you where to get them.

Plus, you'll need to create a new modem entry for this phone in XP, with the
appropriate settings, and then a network connection for it. Sounds more
complicated than it actually is, but I assume that you're familiar with the
latter 2 steps if you got this to work with your other phone.

--
Kovie
kovie@earthlink.netizen

I'm sorry, what am I doing that Sprint says I shouldn't do? Was my previous
setup doing that same thing?

> Xavier Onassis wrote:
> >
> > I just replaced my dead LG5350 for a Samsung VGA1000. My LG phone acted
as a
> > modem for my laptop through a USB cable. I connect that same cable to
same
> > laptop running WinXP and hear the bell telling me pc sees a connected
> > device. But pc won't ever connect to the new phone and initiate the
dial-up
> > process. "No dial tone detect."
> >
> > Do I need to change a setting on new phone or something?
>
> Interesting dilemma...
>
> You can't do what Sprint said you're not supposed to do.
>
> Hmmm...
>
> Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 5, 2005 10:00:42 PM

Xavier Onassis wrote:

> I'm sorry, what am I doing that Sprint says I shouldn't do? Was my previous
> setup doing that same thing?

I (mistakenly?) assumed that you were on a Vision Plan. If so,

"Other Sprint PCS Vision Terms. You will not receive voice calls
while using Vision. Vision is not available for use with server
devices or host computer applications, other systems that drive
continuous heavy traffic or data sessions, or as substitutes for
private lines or frame relay connections. Unlimited Vision plans/
options may not be used with Sprint PCS phones or smart phones
being used as a modem in connection with other equipment (e.g.,
computers, etc.) through use of connection kits or other phone-to
computer/PDA accessories, or Bluetooth or other wireless technology.
We may terminate services without notice for any misuse. You may have
access to certain games, ringers, screen savers and other items on
our Vision site ("Premium Services") that are available for an
additional charge. You will be billed for Premium Service purchases
on your Sprint PCS invoice based on the charges as specified at purchase.
Subject to the terms of the content purchased, we may delete premium and
non-premium items downloaded to any storage areas we may provide,
including any pictures, games and other content. We may limit the amount
of Premium Services you may purchase in a specific timeframe (month, week,
day, or other time period)."

Don't get me wrong... I'm all for using phones as modems, but, as has
been discussed in previous threads, Sprint isn't with us!

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 6, 2005 6:10:33 AM

"Xavier Onassis" <xavier-onassis@comcast.net> wrote in message news:_MadnYJF0cni9kHcRVn-oA@comcast.com...
>I just replaced my dead LG5350 for a Samsung VGA1000. My LG phone acted as a
> modem for my laptop through a USB cable. I connect that same cable to same
> laptop running WinXP and hear the bell telling me pc sees a connected
> device. But pc won't ever connect to the new phone and initiate the dial-up
> process. "No dial tone detect."
>
> Do I need to change a setting on new phone or something?

My VGA1000 still works fine as a modem. Did you install the
USB driver that allows Windows to recognize the phone as a modem?
Did you then create a dialing connectoid in Windows networking
that is configured to use the phone modem?

--
John Richards
Anonymous

> "Other Sprint PCS Vision Terms. You will not receive voice calls
> while using Vision. Vision is not available for use with server
> devices or host computer applications, other systems that drive
> continuous heavy traffic or data sessions

The 'continuous heavy traffic or data sessions' seems as though it would
'outlaw' programs such as mobiTV, doesn't it?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 6, 2005 1:40:54 PM

Joel Kolstad wrote:

> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
> > "Other Sprint PCS Vision Terms. You will not receive voice calls
> > while using Vision. Vision is not available for use with server
> > devices or host computer applications, other systems that drive
> > continuous heavy traffic or data sessions
>
> The 'continuous heavy traffic or data sessions' seems as though it would
> 'outlaw' programs such as mobiTV, doesn't it?

Absolutely!

As someone else mentioned, if you "fly under the radar" and keep
your data connection time to a minimum, Sprint tends to look the
other way.

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop