Help with Routing/Panning Reverb

Last response: in Home Audio
March 12, 2005 2:51:41 PM

For some reason, I have an aversion to learning about routing signals.
Anyway, the problem is I think sometimes when applying effects by way
of sends and returns, it muddies the mix. Now when I use the internal
effects of the 02r, it sounds more even - more consistent. I'm using a
tc m2000 effects and 02R mixer - using aux sends 1 & 2 and returning to
stereo channel 24.

(1) How should I pan the returns - hard left and right? And if so, what
does that do for example, to the guitar I panned to the left -is the
reverb then puting some of the guitar on the left?

(2) For a classic reverb sound, what is the best way to route the
signals within the m2000 effects unit - dual mono, parallel, stereo
etc??

Thanks for your help.

John

More about : routing panning reverb

Anonymous
March 12, 2005 11:04:53 PM

<jmuirman1@aol.com> wrote in message
> For some reason, I have an aversion to learning about routing signals.
> Anyway, the problem is I think sometimes when applying effects by way
> of sends and returns, it muddies the mix. Now when I use the internal
> effects of the 02r, it sounds more even - more consistent. I'm using a
> tc m2000 effects and 02R mixer - using aux sends 1 & 2 and returning to
> stereo channel 24.
>
> (1) How should I pan the returns - hard left and right? And if so, what
> does that do for example, to the guitar I panned to the left -is the
> reverb then puting some of the guitar on the left?
>
> (2) For a classic reverb sound, what is the best way to route the
> signals within the m2000 effects unit - dual mono, parallel, stereo
> etc??
>
> Thanks for your help.

Sounds like your problem is you're not setting your external effects units
to 100% wet. As far as the other questions (how far to pan) the answer is
"whatever sounds good to you". One of the biggest problems in this age of
virtual every thing is that nobody learns the basic meat and potatoes of
engineering anymore (such as signal routing). There's plenty of good books
and even free websites describing this in great detail. You are only hurting
yourself (and your music) by not taking the time to learn.
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 12:29:15 AM

In article <1110657101.730611.191640@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com> jmuirman1@aol.com writes:

> For some reason, I have an aversion to learning about routing signals.

You're doomed. Better sell your recording gear and buy a boat.

> (1) How should I pan the returns - hard left and right?

Usually.

> And if so, what
> does that do for example, to the guitar I panned to the left -is the
> reverb then puting some of the guitar on the left?

Nothing, but the reason why you're having a problem might be because
your effect device isn't set so that the output is fully wet. If the
original (dry) signal comes into your mix through two paths - the
console channle and through the reverb return - it could make the
guitar sound funny because of comb filtering. The delay time through
the two paths is different, probably different enough to cause
cancellation at certain frequencies.

> (2) For a classic reverb sound, what is the best way to route the
> signals within the m2000 effects unit - dual mono, parallel, stereo
> etc??

Stereo. But make sure the wet/dry mix is set to 100% wet.

March 14, 2005 10:42:13 PM

Ahhh - thanks so much Mike - that's exactly what I'm hearing - comb
filtering. It seems like all the presets in the m2000 are set to some
value less than 100% wet mix...Itried the 100% wet mix and it sounded
much more consistent and pristine.

Thanks,

John
!