Sign in with
Your question

Computer freezes at start up

Last response: in Windows 7
June 22, 2012 3:26:33 AM

when my computer starts up it takes a while for it to load i enter my password and nothing happens sometimes and the load cursor appears with the welcome screen it takes minutes to load i have a dell 545s windows 7 home premium

More about : computer freezes start

a b $ Windows 7
June 22, 2012 5:17:09 AM

To help us assist you, please provide more information:

1) Decribe the issue you are having in detail. For example if its with a specific piece of equipment, include the make and model.
2) When was it last working normally? Since then, did you add/remove any software or hardware?
3) What steps have you already tried to resolve the problem? (rebooted, searched google, etc)
m
l
June 22, 2012 12:19:36 PM

nhasian said:
To help us assist you, please provide more information:

1) Decribe the issue you are having in detail. For example if its with a specific piece of equipment, include the make and model.
2) When was it last working normally? Since then, did you add/remove any software or hardware?
3) What steps have you already tried to resolve the problem? (rebooted, searched google, etc)

when my computer starts up the password screen shows up i enter my password after i enter it nothing happens then after a few minutes the welcome screen appears it loads and takes a couple minutes its been like this for two months now i haven't removed any hardware and only software i've removed are apps i installed then i installed them i have a dell inspiron and as i was tying this i got a blue screen
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
June 22, 2012 1:15:23 PM

see if safe mode boots faster..if it does use msconfig and turn off everything in start up. also check that your not running two anti virus or two malware programs.
m
l
June 22, 2012 5:34:04 PM

i did that and it still took minutes to load close to 3 minutes
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 22, 2012 5:46:06 PM

Which password are you entering BEFORE the delay, the BIOS password? How old is this system? You may need to replace the CMOS battery on the mobo. Typically, it is a lithium coin cell. CR2032 is a common size, or CR2016; there are others.

Do you hear any repetitive clicking or other noise during the delay? Is the hard drive light solid? If so, your drive may be failing.
m
l
June 22, 2012 7:46:12 PM

i do hear clicking noises sometimes while my computer is running and it is three years old yes the password for my computer i don't hear the clicking noise during the freezing it was in the repair shop in december
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 22, 2012 9:32:47 PM

Is the hard drive light on constantly during the delay? That could indicate read problems. Also, a 3-yr old PC very likely has a dead CMOS battery.
m
l
June 22, 2012 9:45:30 PM

yeah the light at the bottom constantly is on it flashes during restart but at the password screen it stops flashing
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 22, 2012 9:54:02 PM

The drive may have a bad area on it, or may be dying. Back up your important data, then clone it onto a new drive.
m
l
June 22, 2012 10:11:02 PM

i called my repair shop who i always take it to i'm taking it to them monday
m
l
June 30, 2012 12:01:13 AM

took it to the repair shop it was a damaged hard drive
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 30, 2012 1:57:42 AM

Well then, hopefully they (or you) were able to save your data.
m
l
July 6, 2012 11:58:17 PM

yes they were able to transfer my files
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 7, 2012 5:47:05 AM

Excellent; sounds like all's well that ends well.
m
l
!