Computer freezes at start up

when my computer starts up it takes a while for it to load i enter my password and nothing happens sometimes and the load cursor appears with the welcome screen it takes minutes to load i have a dell 545s windows 7 home premium
14 answers Last reply
More about computer freezes start
  1. To help us assist you, please provide more information:

1) Decribe the issue you are having in detail. For example if its with a specific piece of equipment, include the make and model.
    2) When was it last working normally? Since then, did you add/remove any software or hardware?
    3) What steps have you already tried to resolve the problem? (rebooted, searched google, etc)
  2. nhasian said:
    To help us assist you, please provide more information:

1) Decribe the issue you are having in detail. For example if its with a specific piece of equipment, include the make and model.
    2) When was it last working normally? Since then, did you add/remove any software or hardware?
    3) What steps have you already tried to resolve the problem? (rebooted, searched google, etc)

when my computer starts up the password screen shows up i enter my password after i enter it nothing happens then after a few minutes the welcome screen appears it loads and takes a couple minutes its been like this for two months now i haven't removed any hardware and only software i've removed are apps i installed then i installed them i have a dell inspiron and as i was tying this i got a blue screen
  3. see if safe mode boots faster..if it does use msconfig and turn off everything in start up. also check that your not running two anti virus or two malware programs.
  4. i did that and it still took minutes to load close to 3 minutes
  5. Which password are you entering BEFORE the delay, the BIOS password? How old is this system? You may need to replace the CMOS battery on the mobo. Typically, it is a lithium coin cell. CR2032 is a common size, or CR2016; there are others.

Do you hear any repetitive clicking or other noise during the delay? Is the hard drive light solid? If so, your drive may be failing.
  6. i do hear clicking noises sometimes while my computer is running and it is three years old yes the password for my computer i don't hear the clicking noise during the freezing it was in the repair shop in december
  7. Is the hard drive light on constantly during the delay? That could indicate read problems. Also, a 3-yr old PC very likely has a dead CMOS battery.
  8. yeah the light at the bottom constantly is on it flashes during restart but at the password screen it stops flashing
  9. The drive may have a bad area on it, or may be dying. Back up your important data, then clone it onto a new drive.
  10. i called my repair shop who i always take it to i'm taking it to them monday
  11. took it to the repair shop it was a damaged hard drive
  12. Well then, hopefully they (or you) were able to save your data.
  13. yes they were able to transfer my files
  14. Excellent; sounds like all's well that ends well.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7 Computers