Using Sprint overseas -- Treos 650

jw

I've pretty much made up my mind to go with a Treos 650. Almost
called Sprint today and set it up -- but then I read a post somewhere
which got me to thinking about my up coming trips to Europe that we
have been putting off for years while we were growing our business.
Now I've got it to the point where I can handle pretty much everything
over the Internet and email. That is where the Treos 650 comes in.
But can I use it in Europe and still handle my business with the email
and Internet? The business is located in the US. Is this going to be
a problem?

JW

"jw" <jw@unearthly.net> wrote in message
> I've pretty much made up my mind to go with a Treos 650. Almost
> called Sprint today and set it up -- but then I read a post somewhere
> which got me to thinking about my up coming trips to Europe that we
> have been putting off for years while we were growing our business.
> Now I've got it to the point where I can handle pretty much everything
> over the Internet and email. That is where the Treos 650 comes in.
> But can I use it in Europe and still handle my business with the email
> and Internet? The business is located in the US. Is this going to be
> a problem?

I have a Treo 650 with Sprint and it's my understanding that it will not
work over there. We're going to Europe in March and I'm thinking about
switching to Cingular and getting the new Siemens PDA world phone.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

I just sign on with Cingular and got a Treo 600 (not 650). It is a world
phone GSM with 4 frequencies; 2 for USA and 2 for Europe. GSM is the
accepted standard in Europe. Verizon and Sprint are CDMA. I do believe
that Verizon has a CDMA/GSM combo phone that you can use in Europe. The
GSM bands that phone has do not work in the US.

Dave wrote:
> I just sign on with Cingular and got a Treo 600 (not 650). It is a world
> phone GSM with 4 frequencies; 2 for USA and 2 for Europe. GSM is the
> accepted standard in Europe. Verizon and Sprint are CDMA. I do believe
> that Verizon has a CDMA/GSM combo phone that you can use in Europe. The
> GSM bands that phone has do not work in the US.

But the Sprint Treos are CDMA only and do not work on GSM networks like those
in Europe.

The Samsung SCH-A790 that Verizon sells will work on US CDMA frequencies and
overseas on European GSM frequencies (but not on GSM in the USA). It is not a
PDA phone, FYI.

jw

"Zen Cohen" <aturny@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "jw" <jw@unearthly.net> wrote in message
> > I've pretty much made up my mind to go with a Treos 650. Almost
> > called Sprint today and set it up -- but then I read a post
somewhere
> > which got me to thinking about my up coming trips to Europe that
we
> > have been putting off for years while we were growing our
business.
> > Now I've got it to the point where I can handle pretty much
everything
> > over the Internet and email. That is where the Treos 650 comes in.
> > But can I use it in Europe and still handle my business with the
email
> > and Internet? The business is located in the US. Is this going
to be
> > a problem?
>
> I have a Treo 650 with Sprint and it's my understanding that it will
not
> work over there. We're going to Europe in March and I'm thinking
about
> switching to Cingular and getting the new Siemens PDA world phone.

You have me all "befuddled." I was so looking forward to the 650.
Spent the last few weeks looking into it. I like the idea of have the
keyboard because I have to answer a lot of e-mails. I just took a
look at the Siemens SX1 on the net. How in the name of Zeus to you
type on it.
Is this the Siemens Model you are referring to? Also I need the
ability to at least load a searchable spread sheet document or word
document to refer to when I answer my emails.

JW

Ah, if only you could use 802.11b/g, perhaps you could connect the 650
to the Hotspot
and use it for e-mail and internet.

> You have me all "befuddled." I was so looking forward to the 650.
> Spent the last few weeks looking into it. I like the idea of have the
> keyboard because I have to answer a lot of e-mails. I just took a
> look at the Siemens SX1 on the net. How in the name of Zeus to you
> type on it.
> Is this the Siemens Model you are referring to?

It's the Siemens SX66: http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=569
(I hear it's made by Audiovox, though.) I tried out the sliding keyboard
and IMO it's at least as good as the Treo's.

tinman

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

jw wrote:
> I've pretty much made up my mind to go with a Treos 650. Almost
> called Sprint today and set it up -- but then I read a post somewhere
> which got me to thinking about my up coming trips to Europe that we
> have been putting off for years while we were growing our business.
> Now I've got it to the point where I can handle pretty much everything
> over the Internet and email. That is where the Treos 650 comes in.

If using the Treo 650 in Europe was the only reason for considering it,
the reason just evaporated. Unless we're talking about a 3-month+ trip,
I really don't see the logic in this anyway.

If it's a short(er) trip, and you intended to use the Treo 650 in the US
as well, I don't see the logic in buying something that you might not
like, just for a trip to Europe.

> But can I use it in Europe and still handle my business with the email
> and Internet?

Can't you just rent something in Europe that you know will work properly
with the Internet, rather than gambling that a device purchased for use
here--for data--will work over there?

> The business is located in the US. Is this going to be
> a problem?

I really don't see what that has to do with anything. The Internet
doesn't care all that much where "the business is located." But to be
frank, if you can't vacation without having 24/7 work-related access to
the Internet, you probably shouldn't leave.

--
Mike | Anything in parenthesis can (not) be ignored.
| Don't make me use uppercase...

TRENDING THREADS