Using WiFi to stream video from computer to TV?

rkaneknight

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
I'd suggest looking into the Chromecast. It appears to be able to do both stream your screen directly to the TV and even stream a video file you have as well as many other things like allowing you to send netflix videos, etc... to your TV from your phone or computer.

Gakahimura

Reputable
Apr 18, 2014
it is only play video from google chrome (if there is way to play movie or video that you already have downloaded teach me how to do that)

IThinkImMe

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014

You just drag and drop the video file you want to play into Chrome. However, this does not meet my needs as the video is choppy at times and I cannot control any aspect of the video such as color. Also, most SmartTV's have all the apps the ChromeCast has built-in so this device is pretty pointless.

Pooneil

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013

Not really. Chromecast works in a very different way from TV apps. It is minimalist hardware that takes streaming from other networked devices and converts it to the HDMI output. The advantage of having Chromecast or even Roku, is one isn't tied into staying with buggy apps from a hardware maker that may not be updated as the streaming service change. Or in some cases, TV's that call home to return your viewing preferences to the manufacturer. If the Roku goes rogue, you are out $100, not $500+. If you don't like Google's future snooping practices, your out only $35.

And while I've been out of the market for a while, I have yet to find a TV that has a Plex app built in. Chromecast plays Plex off my tablet without a hitch and the Roku remote app on my phone is very easy to use.

pnaeroneer

Reputable
Oct 23, 2014

I have a Samsung TV - not the 'Smart' version - but it has a LAN socket, so I relocated my WiFi router to the back of the TV cabinet, connected a short LAN cable and Presto! my TV could 'see' my laptop when I pressed Source on the remote. I have a lot of movies stored on a backup hard drive which normally stays connected to the laptop for routine backups, so all I had to do was right-click the 'Stored Movies' folder on the hard drive and select 'Share'. I can now choose any movie with the TV remote, by pressing Source / PC then Folders/Stored Movies.

Gina Sipple

Reputable
Nov 16, 2014

We have Chromecast, and even though it does great with Netflix and YouTube, if you want to stream your own videos from a camera, or a disc movie, its worthless. Unless the video program or app has the Chromecast icon, you won't be able to do it.The only place the icon shows up is on web browser. I assume there are electronic devices sold to do this..but the cheapest way is to HDMI cable from comp to TV.

willpete

Reputable
Apr 8, 2015

I would like to stream Presto (when it works) through my pc to my samsung smart tv

podgida

Reputable
Apr 11, 2015

Not exactly. Chromecast will only stream what is in your chrome browser. Not exactly ideal for someone who wants to stream from a 3rd Party app.

And for the others out there that suggested appleTV. Well that only works if you have a mac that is mid 2011 or newer. (they don't tell you that on the system requirements)

And for the other person who suggested hooking up the computer to the TV with a cable. Gee Why didn't I think of that? Oh yeah maybe because the adapters are freaking expensive, not to mention impossible to find locally. The laptop I "wanted" to use only has a VGA port. My TV only has digital inputs and that complicates that suggestion a lot.

The only thing I found that actually works is airparrot. But you have to use AppleTV with the AirParrot. And AirParrot is not free. And it also seems to be a little buggy. It was working fine and just all of a sudden quit working. So not sure what's up with that.

Pooneil

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013

Chromecast will stream from compatible apps and the Chrome browser. It is a "cheap and simple" solution that can be considered in some situations, "if perhaps not an answer for all potential needs." There were certainly other options when I made this comment last year and even more options today.