Were going to be strategy gaming like it is 1999!

Last response: in Video Games
a b 4 Gaming
July 5, 2005 5:33:05 PM

Egads, is the PC strategy gaming season THIS dry? I am seeing games
dating back to 1999 people are trying to run on XP, and stuff at least
a year old.

- Richard Hutnik

More about : strategy gaming 1999

Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
July 5, 2005 8:38:51 PM

<richardhutnik@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Egads, is the PC strategy gaming season THIS dry? I am seeing games
> dating back to 1999 people are trying to run on XP, and stuff at least
> a year old.

Well, that might be better than partying like it's 999. :-)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Seriously though, I do have a good mix of new and old RTS games installed on
my gaming computer. It's a bit of a long list, but some of the oldest ones
are Starcraft & Brood War, Total Annihilation & The Core Contingency, and
even Tiberian Sun & Firestorm. Some of the newest ones would be Dawn of
War, Armies of Exigo and Battle For Middle-Earth. I have a lot of RTS games
sandwiched between but I'm not gaming a lot right now because it is summer
and it's often hot enough as it is without my tower spewing out even more
heat.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
July 6, 2005 1:03:11 AM

richardhutnik@hotmail.com wrote:
> Egads, is the PC strategy gaming season THIS dry? I am seeing games
> dating back to 1999 people are trying to run on XP, and stuff at least
> a year old.

Well, what is there that's new? I might get Dawn of War soon, since its
price has dropped to almost reasonable levels. Maybe I should give the
Dominions2 demo a try like everyone else has.

Really, has anything interesting come out since the steamkilla fellow
invaded our newsgroups and drowned out legitimate discussion?

--
Leons Petrazickis
import java.lang.Disclaimer;

David Short wrote:
> "Petrazickis" <spamPETRAZIspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > richardhutnik@hotmail.com wrote:
> > > Egads, is the PC strategy gaming season THIS dry? I am seeing games
> > > dating back to 1999 people are trying to run on XP, and stuff at least
> > > a year old.
> >
> > Well, what is there that's new? I might get Dawn of War soon, since its
> > price has dropped to almost reasonable levels. Maybe I should give the
> > Dominions2 demo a try like everyone else has.
>
> It's not like Dom2 is new. The sequel is already on the horizon.
>
> There's a fantasy general like game from a garage developer out. The name
> escapes me.

Battle for Wesnoth?

> Really, other than the Firaxis and Stardock games, there aren't many big
> studios working on strategey games.
>
> dfs

There's always the slew of strategic and wargames out, just out and in
development at www.matrixgames.com

I suspect one reason for low activity is that a lot of posting happens
on gamespecific forums instead of usenet.

-von Schmidt
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
July 6, 2005 1:06:54 PM

Partying like it is 999? You mean $9.99, as in raiding the bargain
bin? I guess that is the same difference :-)

If I really wanted to play something, I would though. I have enough.

- Richard
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
July 6, 2005 1:32:04 PM

"Petrazickis" <spamPETRAZIspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> richardhutnik@hotmail.com wrote:
> > Egads, is the PC strategy gaming season THIS dry? I am seeing games
> > dating back to 1999 people are trying to run on XP, and stuff at least
> > a year old.
>
> Well, what is there that's new? I might get Dawn of War soon, since its
> price has dropped to almost reasonable levels. Maybe I should give the
> Dominions2 demo a try like everyone else has.

It's not like Dom2 is new. The sequel is already on the horizon.

There's a fantasy general like game from a garage developer out. The name
escapes me.

Really, other than the Firaxis and Stardock games, there aren't many big
studios working on strategey games.

dfs
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
July 6, 2005 11:46:21 PM

> Partying like it is 999? You mean $9.99, as in raiding the bargain
> bin? I guess that is the same difference :-)

Heh
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
July 7, 2005 3:02:04 AM

> Really, other than the Firaxis and Stardock games, there aren't many big
> studios working on strategey games.

UFO: Extraterrestrials / Aftershock
Heroes of Might and Magic 5
Warhammer 40k: Winter Assault
Rise & Fall: Civilizations At War
Star Wars: Empire At War
RTW: Barbarian Invasion
Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends
Age of Empire 3
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
July 7, 2005 7:54:06 PM

"littlemute" <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote in message
> Age of Empire 3 - Pummelling the series into the ground where it
> belongs.

I agree on this point. My confidence in Ensemble Studios was seriously
shaken with Age of Mythology. Look for AoE 3 to be essentially the same
game with updated graphics. No thanks.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
July 8, 2005 11:47:28 AM

This list gets the blood flowing a bit. At least with these there's
some mystery as to what they might encompass, with the others you
pretty much know exactly what you're getting. Yes I really love RTW and
will buy the barbarian invasion because I'm into it, but it's not
something fresh certainly.

Hammer and Sickle looks like JA a lot, not a bad thing.

The D&D RTS I'm wary about because it's reaching for the Warcraft 3
brass ring, many have tried already with success only when it was
basically a straight copy of the game (the armies of ex..something).

Supreme Ruler -looks quite close to Super Powers. I'd be very hesitant,
though if someone could pull a game off with that scope, it would be
great.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
July 20, 2005 6:01:14 PM

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 01:47:14 -0700, Bip <bop@boo.net> wrote:

>There've been a number of RTS+RPG attempts (Dungeon Siege is probably the
>most popular to date),

Ahem, Diablo 2. :)

of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft
!