Were going to be strategy gaming like it is 1999!

Egads, is the PC strategy gaming season THIS dry? I am seeing games
dating back to 1999 people are trying to run on XP, and stuff at least
a year old.

- Richard Hutnik
10 answers Last reply
More about were strategy gaming 1999
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    <richardhutnik@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Egads, is the PC strategy gaming season THIS dry? I am seeing games
    > dating back to 1999 people are trying to run on XP, and stuff at least
    > a year old.

    Well, that might be better than partying like it's 999. :-)

    Sorry, couldn't resist.

    Seriously though, I do have a good mix of new and old RTS games installed on
    my gaming computer. It's a bit of a long list, but some of the oldest ones
    are Starcraft & Brood War, Total Annihilation & The Core Contingency, and
    even Tiberian Sun & Firestorm. Some of the newest ones would be Dawn of
    War, Armies of Exigo and Battle For Middle-Earth. I have a lot of RTS games
    sandwiched between but I'm not gaming a lot right now because it is summer
    and it's often hot enough as it is without my tower spewing out even more
    heat.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    richardhutnik@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Egads, is the PC strategy gaming season THIS dry? I am seeing games
    > dating back to 1999 people are trying to run on XP, and stuff at least
    > a year old.

    Well, what is there that's new? I might get Dawn of War soon, since its
    price has dropped to almost reasonable levels. Maybe I should give the
    Dominions2 demo a try like everyone else has.

    Really, has anything interesting come out since the steamkilla fellow
    invaded our newsgroups and drowned out legitimate discussion?

    --
    Leons Petrazickis
    import java.lang.Disclaimer;

    David Short wrote:
    > "Petrazickis" <spamPETRAZIspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > > richardhutnik@hotmail.com wrote:
    > > > Egads, is the PC strategy gaming season THIS dry? I am seeing games
    > > > dating back to 1999 people are trying to run on XP, and stuff at least
    > > > a year old.
    > >
    > > Well, what is there that's new? I might get Dawn of War soon, since its
    > > price has dropped to almost reasonable levels. Maybe I should give the
    > > Dominions2 demo a try like everyone else has.
    >
    > It's not like Dom2 is new. The sequel is already on the horizon.
    >
    > There's a fantasy general like game from a garage developer out. The name
    > escapes me.

    Battle for Wesnoth?

    > Really, other than the Firaxis and Stardock games, there aren't many big
    > studios working on strategey games.
    >
    > dfs

    There's always the slew of strategic and wargames out, just out and in
    development at www.matrixgames.com

    I suspect one reason for low activity is that a lot of posting happens
    on gamespecific forums instead of usenet.

    -von Schmidt
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    Partying like it is 999? You mean $9.99, as in raiding the bargain
    bin? I guess that is the same difference :-)

    If I really wanted to play something, I would though. I have enough.

    - Richard
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    "Petrazickis" <spamPETRAZIspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > richardhutnik@hotmail.com wrote:
    > > Egads, is the PC strategy gaming season THIS dry? I am seeing games
    > > dating back to 1999 people are trying to run on XP, and stuff at least
    > > a year old.
    >
    > Well, what is there that's new? I might get Dawn of War soon, since its
    > price has dropped to almost reasonable levels. Maybe I should give the
    > Dominions2 demo a try like everyone else has.

    It's not like Dom2 is new. The sequel is already on the horizon.

    There's a fantasy general like game from a garage developer out. The name
    escapes me.

    Really, other than the Firaxis and Stardock games, there aren't many big
    studios working on strategey games.

    dfs
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    > Partying like it is 999? You mean $9.99, as in raiding the bargain
    > bin? I guess that is the same difference :-)

    Heh
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    > Really, other than the Firaxis and Stardock games, there aren't many big
    > studios working on strategey games.

    UFO: Extraterrestrials / Aftershock
    Heroes of Might and Magic 5
    Warhammer 40k: Winter Assault
    Rise & Fall: Civilizations At War
    Star Wars: Empire At War
    RTW: Barbarian Invasion
    Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends
    Age of Empire 3
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    "littlemute" <littlemute@woodenmen.org> wrote in message
    > Age of Empire 3 - Pummelling the series into the ground where it
    > belongs.

    I agree on this point. My confidence in Ensemble Studios was seriously
    shaken with Age of Mythology. Look for AoE 3 to be essentially the same
    game with updated graphics. No thanks.
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    This list gets the blood flowing a bit. At least with these there's
    some mystery as to what they might encompass, with the others you
    pretty much know exactly what you're getting. Yes I really love RTW and
    will buy the barbarian invasion because I'm into it, but it's not
    something fresh certainly.

    Hammer and Sickle looks like JA a lot, not a bad thing.

    The D&D RTS I'm wary about because it's reaching for the Warcraft 3
    brass ring, many have tried already with success only when it was
    basically a straight copy of the game (the armies of ex..something).

    Supreme Ruler -looks quite close to Super Powers. I'd be very hesitant,
    though if someone could pull a game off with that scope, it would be
    great.
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 01:47:14 -0700, Bip <bop@boo.net> wrote:

    >There've been a number of RTS+RPG attempts (Dungeon Siege is probably the
    >most popular to date),

    Ahem, Diablo 2. :)

    of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

PC gaming Gaming Games Windows XP Video Games Product