Billing dispute with Spring??

A f ew months ago I calles Sprint and ordered an airbuss card and wireless
internet. I did not have any other service with Sprint. Then two months
later I called to cancell the service, and the Sprint rep told me that I
would be charged $150 for cancelling. I told her that this is the first time
someone mentioned a cancellation fee to me. Now 2-3 months later I get a
call each day from a Sprint rep saying that I owen them x amount of money. I
say that either send me a contract that I signed (or some other proof to
this effect) or stop this charge cause I don't intend to pay for something
like this when I was never told anything like this before! But even when
asking for supervisor etc, they say they can't help me, that they are only
operators who sit at a computer that dials, and it's on auto pilot. That I
should call another number and invariably the number they give me I can't
reach anyone there. First the numbers wants my Sprint 10 digit phone number
which I don't have, never have since I just had this Net service with
them...

anyway this is a nightmere

where can I call to have this straighted out?
7 answers Last reply
More about billing dispute spring

    Josh Grameson wrote:
    > A f ew months ago I calles Sprint and ordered an airbuss card and wireless
    > internet. I did not have any other service with Sprint. Then two months
    > later I called to cancell the service, and the Sprint rep told me that I
    > would be charged $150 for cancelling. I told her that this is the first time
    > someone mentioned a cancellation fee to me.

    Really? It's pretty much plastered all over their website. You have 14
    days to cancel the service if you don't like it. Otherwise, you're
    bound to the contract.

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

    Josh Grameson wrote:
    > A f ew months ago I calles Sprint and ordered an airbuss card and
    > wireless internet. I did not have any other service with Sprint. Then
    > two months later I called to cancell the service, and the Sprint rep
    > told me that I would be charged $150 for cancelling. I told her that
    > this is the first time someone mentioned a cancellation fee to me.

    It was at this point that you should have either held your ground and
    gotten the issue resolved, or learned that you did indeed agree to a
    one-year agreement. For the record, if you go to sprintpcs.com, click
    the "Shopping" tab, plug in a valid zip-code, and then click "View
    Laptop & PDA Plans" right next to the listed plans is this:
    "A one-year PCS Advantage Agreement is required."

    (This is why you were charged an early termination fee.)

    > Now 2-3 months later I get a call each day from a Sprint rep saying
    > that I owen them x amount of money.

    What made you think it would go away on its own?

    > I say that either send me a
    > contract that I signed (or some other proof to this effect) or stop
    > this charge cause I don't intend to pay for something like this when
    > I was never told anything like this before!

    It's possible you weren't told, or that you don't remember being told.
    If the latter, I believe the call is (supposed to be) recorded as proof
    of agreement (though I haven't had a call recorded the last two times I
    renewed a contract).

    > where can I call to have this straighted out?

    For the moment, Sprint PCS. However, if it's already been a few months,
    it's possible this debt will soon be C/O and turned over to a
    third-party collection company. At that point you'll probably need to
    deal with them. But even if they agree to stop trying to collect, the
    issue could resurface again with another collection agency down the
    road.

    I'd say either resolve it with Sprint ASAP, or just pay the $150. If
    Sprint does agree to forego the early termination fee, you had better
    get in writing. I, personally, would not risk it going to
    collections--ergo reported to credit bureaus--over something so small.

    As a connection card isn't something Joe six-pack walks out and buys, I
    would think you have seen *something* about the one-year agreement (the
    Web site, plan literature, etc.). If not, it's still Sprint's standard
    procedure for data-plans--it's not like you're being singled out. In
    fact, if you *don't* have to pay it, I'd call that a lucky break. YMMV.

    --
    Mike

    "Tinman" <mlynch@REMOVEMEcitlink.net> wrote in message
    > I'd say either resolve it with Sprint ASAP, or just pay the $150. If
    > Sprint does agree to forego the early termination fee, you had better get
    > in writing. I, personally, would not risk it going to collections--ergo
    > reported to credit bureaus--over something so small.

    Well, it'd certainly be a hassle (he'll be writing a bunch of registered
    letters...), but unless Sprint can prove that he DID commit to the
    cancellation fee, sooner or later his credit will end up 'clean.'

    > As a connection card isn't something Joe six-pack walks out and buys, I
    > would think you have seen *something* about the one-year agreement (the
    > Web site, plan literature, etc.). If not, it's still Sprint's standard
    > procedure for data-plans--it's not like you're being singled out.

    Yes, but I think the onus is going to be on Sprint to show that he signed an
    agreement or verbally agreed to the contract.

    ---Joel

    Who is Spring? I have never heard of them. :-)

    "Josh Grameson" <moon248@borderlessgroup.com> wrote in message
    >A f ew months ago I calles Sprint and ordered an airbuss card and wireless
    >internet. I did not have any other service with Sprint. Then two months
    >later I called to cancell the service, and the Sprint rep told me that I
    >would be charged $150 for cancelling. I told her that this is the first
    >time someone mentioned a cancellation fee to me. Now 2-3 months later I get
    >a call each day from a Sprint rep saying that I owen them x amount of
    >money. I say that either send me a contract that I signed (or some other
    >proof to this effect) or stop this charge cause I don't intend to pay for
    >something like this when I was never told anything like this before! But
    >even when asking for supervisor etc, they say they can't help me, that they
    >are only operators who sit at a computer that dials, and it's on auto
    >pilot. That I should call another number and invariably the number they
    >give me I can't reach anyone there. First the numbers wants my Sprint 10
    >digit phone number which I don't have, never have since I just had this
    >Net service with them...
    >
    > anyway this is a nightmere
    >
    > where can I call to have this straighted out?

    but i have never been to their website. i simply placed a few calls until i
    reach the dept that said they can give me this service, and this rep set me
    up without telling me anything about a cancellation fee.

    In article <JZ3Ed.441538$O24.64136@news.easynews.com>, moon248
    @borderlessgroup.com says...
    > but i have never been to their website. i simply placed a few calls until i
    > reach the dept that said they can give me this service, and this rep set me
    > up without telling me anything about a cancellation fee.

    A few more details start to come out when the initial description isn't
    met with sympathy. And in your next post, you report you left the
    country.

    I can't help but be suspicious when that happens. You went looking for
    a service, but didn't ask for the details, details that are available at
    the SPCS web site, and on brochures in the stores. I'd have to lookup
    the original post again, but you paid at least one bill before you
    cancelled, didn't you?

    I'm sorry about the trouble you're having, but at the same time, it just
    looks like there's something you're not telling us.

    --
    RØß
    O/Siris

    > It was at this point that you should have either held your ground and
    > gotten the issue resolved, or learned that you did indeed agree to a
    > one-year agreement. For the record, if you go to sprintpcs.com, click the
    > "Shopping" tab, plug in a valid zip-code, and then click "View Laptop &
    > PDA Plans" right next to the listed plans is this:
    > "A one-year PCS Advantage Agreement is required."
    >
    > (This is why you were charged an early termination fee.)
    >

    >> Now 2-3 months later I get a call each day from a Sprint rep saying
    >> that I owen them x amount of money.
    >
    > What made you think it would go away on its own?

    well they may have called before, but i was out of the country until a few
    weeks so if they called i wouldn't know about it.

    >> I say that either send me a
    >> contract that I signed (or some other proof to this effect) or stop
    >> this charge cause I don't intend to pay for something like this when
    >> I was never told anything like this before!
    >
    > It's possible you weren't told, or that you don't remember being told. If
    > the latter, I believe the call is (supposed to be) recorded as proof of
    > agreement (though I haven't had a call recorded the last two times I
    > renewed a contract).

    My memory is quite good. But it maybe that I forgot and if this is the case
    and they can give any kind of proof to this I would be glad to pay them. But
    there is no one that I can reach there that can help in this regard, all
    they can do is tell me that i owe them money.

    >> where can I call to have this straighted out?
    >
    > For the moment, Sprint PCS. However, if it's already been a few months,
    > it's possible this debt will soon be C/O and turned over to a third-party
    > collection company. At that point you'll probably need to deal with them.
    > But even if they agree to stop trying to collect, the issue could
    > resurface again with another collection agency down the road.
    >
    > I'd say either resolve it with Sprint ASAP, or just pay the $150. If
    > Sprint does agree to forego the early termination fee, you had better get
    > in writing. I, personally, would not risk it going to collections--ergo
    > reported to credit bureaus--over something so small.

    But I can't get anyone at Sprint on the phone! Would have a number or
    contact?

    > As a connection card isn't something Joe six-pack walks out and buys, I
    > would think you have seen *something* about the one-year agreement (the
    > Web site, plan literature, etc.). If not, it's still Sprint's standard
    > procedure for data-plans--it's not like you're being singled out. In fact,
    > if you *don't* have to pay it, I'd call that a lucky break. YMMV.

    well in fact I heard about this from a friend who has Verizon's and I just
    thought that I would call around and I tried sprint and too it.

    > --
    > Mike

Sprint PCS Internet Service Providers