Glest (open source RTS)

I'm normally a TBS-kinda guy, except for Kohan, but I have been having
quite a bit of fun with Glest, an open-source 3D RTS for Windows and Linux.
It's the usual tech-tree, harvest, conquer type of WC3-style game, but it's
fairly good, especially for a completely free game. It is also moddable and
can be customized to meet own expectations. The AI is so-and-so, but seems
to improve with every new release. Beginners can ally with CPU player, and
advanced players can tackle a team of multiple computer opponents. There is
no multiplayer mode yet, but the developers are working on that and it
should be ready in a few months.

http://www.glest.org/en/index.html

Worth a look, I think. :)

M.
8 answers Last reply
More about glest open source
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    "Michael Vondung" <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I'm normally a TBS-kinda guy, except for Kohan, but I have been having
    > quite a bit of fun with Glest, an open-source 3D RTS for Windows and
    > Linux.
    > It's the usual tech-tree, harvest, conquer type of WC3-style game, but
    > it's
    > fairly good, especially for a completely free game. It is also moddable
    > and
    > can be customized to meet own expectations. The AI is so-and-so, but seems
    > to improve with every new release. Beginners can ally with CPU player, and
    > advanced players can tackle a team of multiple computer opponents. There
    > is
    > no multiplayer mode yet, but the developers are working on that and it
    > should be ready in a few months.
    >
    > http://www.glest.org/en/index.html
    >
    > Worth a look, I think. :)
    >
    > M.

    Thanks for the tip. I'm dling it now.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 18:18:16 GMT, DocScorpio wrote:

    > Thanks for the tip. I'm dling it now.

    What the game still lacks is a tutorial. Took me a while to get into it.
    They are also working on an expansion set (...), which will introduce some
    new stuff (especially anti-aircraft units). One of the artists posted a
    preview shot:
    http://www.glest.org/files/images/tower_of_souls.jpg

    M.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    > On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 18:18:16 GMT, DocScorpio wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for the tip. I'm dling it now.
    >
    > What the game still lacks is a tutorial. Took me a while to get into it.
    > They are also working on an expansion set (...), which will introduce some
    > new stuff (especially anti-aircraft units). One of the artists posted a
    > preview shot:
    > http://www.glest.org/files/images/tower_of_souls.jpg
    >
    > M.

    I saw a readme with the commands, but no manual per se (unless I missed it)
    The site, however, contains tech trees, unit info and the like so all is not
    lost. :) User-made maps also appear to be available.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 19:38:26 GMT, DocScorpio wrote:

    > I saw a readme with the commands, but no manual per se (unless I missed it)
    > The site, however, contains tech trees, unit info and the like so all is not
    > lost. :) User-made maps also appear to be available.

    No, there isn't a manual. The only manual-like document is the brief readme
    with the shortcuts and the changelog. I'm actually considering to throw
    together an actual "first steps" text for the project, but I'm such a
    novice when it comes to RTS. I've played WC, WC3, RoN and of course the
    Kohan games (love 'em), but I'm not a RTS-crack my any stretch of the
    meaning.

    Then again, if I handed Glest to my partner, who never played any RTS,
    she'd not know how to even start. Considering the effort that went into
    this early release of the game already, that's a shame, because it could be
    so much more accessible to the "casual gamer" audience, since it's just a
    relatively small download away. Seeing how just one guy did all the
    graphics, the game is awesome looking.

    Have you played already? I still find the tech tree fairly strong for quick
    rushing games. The magic faction lacks some better defensive abilities
    (though the iniates can defend). In longer games that exceed five or so
    minutes, the magic tree becomes significantly stronger -- eventually, it
    seems to clearly outdo the tech tree in power. Haven't dabbled too much in
    1.1.0 yet, though. 1.3 will have the new units.

    M.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    > On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 19:38:26 GMT, DocScorpio wrote:

    [snip]

    > No, there isn't a manual. The only manual-like document is the brief
    > readme
    > with the shortcuts and the changelog. I'm actually considering to throw
    > together an actual "first steps" text for the project, but I'm such a
    > novice when it comes to RTS. I've played WC, WC3, RoN and of course the
    > Kohan games (love 'em), but I'm not a RTS-crack my any stretch of the
    > meaning.
    >
    > Then again, if I handed Glest to my partner, who never played any RTS,
    > she'd not know how to even start. Considering the effort that went into
    > this early release of the game already, that's a shame, because it could
    > be
    > so much more accessible to the "casual gamer" audience, since it's just a
    > relatively small download away. Seeing how just one guy did all the
    > graphics, the game is awesome looking.
    >
    > Have you played already? I still find the tech tree fairly strong for
    > quick
    > rushing games. The magic faction lacks some better defensive abilities
    > (though the iniates can defend). In longer games that exceed five or so
    > minutes, the magic tree becomes significantly stronger -- eventually, it
    > seems to clearly outdo the tech tree in power. Haven't dabbled too much in
    > 1.1.0 yet, though. 1.3 will have the new units.
    >
    > M.

    I started a game and sort of puzzled things out. First, I grabbed all my
    units, went up the road and attacked the AI's base. I killed a bunch of AI
    types but got all my troops massacred. Then, I returned to my base and
    figured out what the resources were and who does the building, built more
    initiates, did some mining, built some buildings, did some upgrades, and
    produced some combat units (summoners, mages). At that point, I had to
    quit, but couldn't figure out how to save my progress, so I just exited. I
    didn't feel any pressure from the AI, after my initial attack on it. I was
    left in peace to rebuild my forces till I exited. Maybe my initial attack
    threw the AI off balance. Very impressive little game. From the
    developers' names, it looks to be Spanish in origin (or at least from a
    Spanish-speaking country).
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    "DocScorpio" <docscorpio@strupra-spammeros.com> wrote in message

    [snip]
    >At that point, I had to quit, but couldn't figure out how to save my
    >progress, so I just exited.

    [snip]

    Apparently there is no save feature.
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    I've just downloaded this and it does look great, but the total lack of
    docs and the lack of save is very trying. I'm currently pausing a lot
    and experimenting with different build & harvest orders.

    CC
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 05:10:35 GMT, DocScorpio wrote:

    > Apparently there is no save feature.

    I noticed that also. It seems that the pros tend to defeat the AI in ten
    minutes or less, but I'm most certainly not a pro, so the missing save
    feature bugs me a little. Like Chris, I make heavy use of the pause
    function. When they add multiplayer, Glest should actually gain quite a bit
    of popularity and perhaps yield some more (programming) help from players.

    M. (who is still considering to throw together a tutorial)

PC gaming Games Open Source Video Games