Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New phone won't act as modem for laptop (RE

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 8, 2005 11:35:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

>Xavier Onassis wrote:
>
> I just replaced my dead LG5350 for a Samsung VGA1000. My LG phone acted as a
> modem for my laptop through a USB cable. I connect that same cable to same
> laptop running WinXP and hear the bell telling me pc sees a connected
> device. But pc won't ever connect to the new phone and initiate the dial-up
> process. "No dial tone detect."
>
> Do I need to change a setting on new phone or something?

"Vision is not available for use with server
devices or host computer applications, other systems that drive
continuous heavy traffic or data sessions, or as substitutes for
private lines or frame relay connections. Unlimited Vision plans/
options may not be used with Sprint PCS phones or smart phones
being used as a modem in connection with other equipment (e.g.,
computers, etc.) "

If sprint finds out you are using your phone as a modem the fraud team
will very quickly cancel the services of all your phones on that
account and you will be responsible for all arising termination fees.

MobiTv however does not put you in any danger, sprint supports it and
we can very easily find out if MobiTV is the cause of the data
Streams.



PS::sorry for starting another thread on this guys but google seems
to be screwed up tonight. any suggestions for a better site or free
client to access usenet ?

More about : phone act modem laptop

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 9, 2005 3:38:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

On 8 Jan 2005 20:35:51 -0800, raupersj@hotmail.com (Evil_Tane) wrote:

>PS::sorry for starting another thread on this guys but google seems
>to be screwed up tonight. any suggestions for a better site or free
>client to access usenet ?

Free Agent from Forte is an excellent choice, IMO.
Get it here: http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 9, 2005 7:33:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

I use my 4900 with my laptop computer all the time to read emails and check
the weather on the road. No problem for the last two years.

EB


"Evil_Tane" <raupersj@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:f34022a5.0501082035.35b8b983@posting.google.com...
> >Xavier Onassis wrote:
> >
> > I just replaced my dead LG5350 for a Samsung VGA1000. My LG phone acted
as a
> > modem for my laptop through a USB cable. I connect that same cable to
same
> > laptop running WinXP and hear the bell telling me pc sees a connected
> > device. But pc won't ever connect to the new phone and initiate the
dial-up
> > process. "No dial tone detect."
> >
> > Do I need to change a setting on new phone or something?
>
> "Vision is not available for use with server
> devices or host computer applications, other systems that drive
> continuous heavy traffic or data sessions, or as substitutes for
> private lines or frame relay connections. Unlimited Vision plans/
> options may not be used with Sprint PCS phones or smart phones
> being used as a modem in connection with other equipment (e.g.,
> computers, etc.) "
>
> If sprint finds out you are using your phone as a modem the fraud team
> will very quickly cancel the services of all your phones on that
> account and you will be responsible for all arising termination fees.
>
> MobiTv however does not put you in any danger, sprint supports it and
> we can very easily find out if MobiTV is the cause of the data
> Streams.
>
>
>
> PS::sorry for starting another thread on this guys but google seems
> to be screwed up tonight. any suggestions for a better site or free
> client to access usenet ?
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 10, 2005 3:26:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"Evil_Tane" <raupersj@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:f34022a5.0501082035.35b8b983@posting.google.com...
> If sprint finds out you are using your phone as a modem the fraud team
> will very quickly cancel the services of all your phones on that
> account and you will be responsible for all arising termination fees.

This is bull. Many people use SprintPCS phones tethered to a laptop.
I've been doing it for years. As long as the use is casual, Sprint will
not come after you.

--
John Richards
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 28, 2005 4:40:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In article <8AGJd.24348$iC4.8313@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>, Bryanw20
@remove.Sbcglobal.net says...
> I haven't seen anybody mention the "modem" cards Sprint sells/sold. Do they
> not use the same bandwith as the phones would? So again it's just a loophole
> for Sprint to use if they want to cancel a person.
>

Nah, it's more than that. At least, according to the training they gave
us when I worked there.

--
RØß
O/Siris
-+-
A thing moderately good
is not so good as it ought to be.
Moderation in temper is always a virtue,
but moderation in principle is always a vice.
+Thomas Paine, "The Rights of Man", 1792+
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 5, 2005 8:27:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

>> If sprint finds out you are using your phone as a modem the fraud team
>> will very quickly cancel the services of all your phones on that
>> account and you will be responsible for all arising termination fees.

This was very extensively covered early last summer. I occasionally
tether my laptop to my phone. Since I signed up for Vision over two
years ago where before the tethering was explicitly prohibited, that
could be a one-time loophole to get me out of paying extra charges for
past use.

> This is bull. Many people use SprintPCS phones tethered to a laptop.
> I've been doing it for years. As long as the use is casual, Sprint will
> not come after you.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 6, 2005 4:25:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 16:27:15 GMT, DecTxCowboy
<dfw_nada_spamo_ramp@swbell.net> wrote:

>>> If sprint finds out you are using your phone as a modem the fraud team
>>> will very quickly cancel the services of all your phones on that
>>> account and you will be responsible for all arising termination fees.
>
>This was very extensively covered early last summer. I occasionally
>tether my laptop to my phone. Since I signed up for Vision over two
>years ago where before the tethering was explicitly prohibited, that
>could be a one-time loophole to get me out of paying extra charges for
>past use.

Normally, as service agreements change over time, you automatically
agree to each of those changes if you continue to use the service.
Wouldn't that apply in this case, or are you only talking about "past
use" as opposed to current use?
!