FS: vintage Marantz knobs, buttons, switches, etc

Last response: in Home Audio
March 12, 2005 11:50:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.marketplace,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

FS: vintage Marantz knobs, buttons, switches, etc

Parting out some working Marantz receivers and integrated amps

Have most knobs, buttons and switches abailable
from silver vintage solid state units

$10 each/per knob
stereo, dual or concentric parts $20 each

please email us your parts needs
a pict attached would be helpful
or at least, the size/measurement of your part

also email shipping address and preferred method of payment for a quick
quote
thanks
mm

Try www.mrmarksmusic.com for lots more gear, parts and manuals

,
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 4:57:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.marketplace,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Parting out working units". Yup that's what I figured.

Must be stolen, radioactive, or something. I wouldn't go near anything
you've got with a ten foot pole.
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 8:44:00 PM

OFFICIAL RAM BLUEBOOK VALUATION wrote:
> In article 1110751055.381839.270400@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com,

(snip)

> SCAM ALERT!
>
> Thanks again for the assist, calcerise! You're going to make DEPUTY
soon!

Aw shucks. Just doing my duty as I saw it...
March 14, 2005 4:13:37 AM

On 13 Mar 2005 13:57:35 -0800, calcerise@hotmail.com wrote:

>"Parting out working units". Yup that's what I figured.
>
> Must be stolen, radioactive, or something. I wouldn't go near anything
>you've got with a ten foot pole.

You don't know what you're talking about. Of course, you've never been
to Nashville, so you wouldn't know just how much gear changes hands
here each week - LEGALLY.
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 12:39:21 PM

"calcerise@hotmail.com" <calcerise@hotmail.com> wrote:

> "Parting out working units". Yup that's what I figured.
>
> Must be stolen, radioactive, or something. I wouldn't go near anything
> you've got with a ten foot pole.

SCAM ALERT!

Thanks again for the assist, calcerise! You're going to make DEPUTY soon!
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 12:39:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.marketplace,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:39:21 +1000, OFFICIAL RAM BLUEBOOK VALUATION
<nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote:

>In article 1110751055.381839.270400@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com,
>"calcerise@hotmail.com" <calcerise@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "Parting out working units". Yup that's what I figured.
>>
>> Must be stolen, radioactive, or something. I wouldn't go near anything
>> you've got with a ten foot pole.
>

>SCAM ALERT!
>
>Thanks again for the assist, calcerise! You're going to make DEPUTY soon!

You're BOTH wrong, Cal AND Brian. This is a legitimate and well-known
industrial-grade broker here in town. You can get anything from parts
and 19 in racks to guitars. Partly pawnshop-grade, partly salvage,
partly reseller, they do a pretty good business here. If you show up
in town, I'll be glad to take you there. They are a storefront
business in warehouse space downtown.

Now, whether or not they should be posting For Sale items here on RAO
is a different story. I don't think it's part of the charter of this
newsgroup.

But making statements like the two of you are doing is just stupid.
With all of the gear here in town, it's got to end up somewhere. There
are several such operations that buy and sell such gear. Remember, we
have more studios per capita than anywhere in the known universe. And
the amount of audio gear here is just staggering. Every record label
wonk has his own system in his office and it gets upgraded every
couple of years, as well as getting disposed of when the labels do
another purge. And, believe it or not, there's a lot of gear that's
just given away when a studio upgrades. A buddy of mine happened to be
at one of the studios in town that was upgrading and they had
something like 10 DAT machines that were just given to the interns
that were helping tear the old gear out and put the new gear in. It
was probably easier for them to have the kids haul the gear away.

Anyway, just wanted you two to know what asses you were making of
yourself talking about something that you don't know anything about.
Of course, Brian has his own issues regarding studio equipment these
days.
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 7:06:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.marketplace,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I'm well aware of Nashville. I'm also aware this is an opinion
newsgroup so if commercial businesses post here I assume they want and
need my opinion.
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 10:10:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.marketplace,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"dave weil" emitted :

>>> "Parting out working units". Yup that's what I figured.
>>>
>>> Must be stolen, radioactive, or something. I wouldn't go near anything
>>> you've got with a ten foot pole.
>>

>>SCAM ALERT!
>>
>>Thanks again for the assist, calcerise! You're going to make DEPUTY soon!

[snip]

>But making statements like the two of you are doing is just stupid.

Dave, what do you expect? You are addressing Bwian, after all.
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 10:18:39 PM

In article <1110845205.935420.54680@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
<calcerise@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I'm well aware of Nashville. I'm also aware this is an opinion
>newsgroup so if commercial businesses post here I assume they want and
>need my opinion.

Which newsgroup? Looks to me like this is crossposted to five different
groups.

And I assume the guy replying is basically annoyed at the whole prospect
of people parting out working equipment. I'm not so hot on the idea myself.
--scott

March 15, 2005 3:57:30 AM

On 14 Mar 2005 16:06:45 -0800, calcerise@hotmail.com wrote:

>I'm well aware of Nashville. I'm also aware this is an opinion
>newsgroup so if commercial businesses post here I assume they want and
>need my opinion.

Well, if you accuse them of criminal behavior, you're just acting out.
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 4:01:41 AM

On 14 Mar 2005 19:18:39 -0500, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

>In article <1110845205.935420.54680@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
> <calcerise@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>I'm well aware of Nashville. I'm also aware this is an opinion
>>newsgroup so if commercial businesses post here I assume they want and
>>need my opinion.
>
>Which newsgroup? Looks to me like this is crossposted to five different
>groups.
>
>And I assume the guy replying is basically annoyed at the whole prospect
>of people parting out working equipment. I'm not so hot on the idea myself.
>--scott

And yet, you're not accusing the guy of fencing stolen gear, are you?

To me, once somebody owns a piece of property, they can do with it as
they wish. If they feel that a common piece of gear like a mass-market
Marantz amp is worth more parting it out, why not do so? After all, if
you want to save that piece of gear, why not contact them and see if
you can save that piece from the scrapheap?
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 7:35:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.marketplace,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

i have the very best in range car stereos that vary in price from
between £200-£300 all stolen yesterday so hurry while the offer still
lasts and get yours today!
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 12:15:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.marketplace,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

If I really thought they were selling hot gear so brazenly I'd call
the Nashville PD. The fact that they are offering _nothing but_ parted
out gear and used tape is sort of a sign of not necessarily criminal,
but just typically stupid corporate behavior.
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 4:06:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.marketplace,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

calcerise@hotmail.com wrote:
> If I really thought they were selling hot gear so brazenly I'd call
> the Nashville PD. The fact that they are offering _nothing but_ parted
> out gear and used tape is sort of a sign of not necessarily criminal,
> but just typically stupid corporate behavior.

Geez get a life. I think a business like this is great. I have quite a
bit of older equipment I need part for. A lot of equipment is not
economically viable for a business to repair. Hence it becomes parts.
If you don't like his addys plonk him, or just click next!

Do you object to auto salvage too?
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 5:19:39 PM

Mister Tawny the Talking Tiger <mistertawny@NODAMNSPAMpersonal.ro> wrote:
>calcerise@hotmail.com wrote:
>> If I really thought they were selling hot gear so brazenly I'd call
>> the Nashville PD. The fact that they are offering _nothing but_ parted
>> out gear and used tape is sort of a sign of not necessarily criminal,
>> but just typically stupid corporate behavior.
>
>Geez get a life. I think a business like this is great. I have quite a
>bit of older equipment I need part for. A lot of equipment is not
>economically viable for a business to repair. Hence it becomes parts.
>If you don't like his addys plonk him, or just click next!

Nobody has any problem with people parting out NON-working equipment here.

>Do you object to auto salvage too?

If the auto is cosmetically good and is running fine, yes.
--scott
March 15, 2005 5:29:15 PM

Scott Dorsey said:

> >Do you object to auto salvage too?
>
> If the auto is cosmetically good and is running fine, yes.

But you do object to people selling junkers as junk?
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 6:05:26 PM

George M. Middius <glanbrok44_at_bonbon.net> wrote:
>Scott Dorsey said:
>
>> >Do you object to auto salvage too?
>>
>> If the auto is cosmetically good and is running fine, yes.
>
>But you do object to people selling junkers as junk?

Not at all, although the car I am currently using as my daily driver was
sold to me as a parts car.

The folks here are objecting to people tearing up non-junkers as junk.
--scott

March 15, 2005 6:26:06 PM

Scott Dorsey said:

> >> If the auto is cosmetically good and is running fine, yes.
> >
> >But you do object to people selling junkers as junk?
>
> Not at all, although the car I am currently using as my daily driver was
> sold to me as a parts car.
>
> The folks here are objecting to people tearing up non-junkers as junk.

That strikes me as irrational. Why shouldn't the value of something be
determined by the marketplace?
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 10:23:00 PM

So, when you wrote:

"Must be stolen, radioactive, or something. I wouldn't go near
anything you've got with a ten foot pole".

you were just funnin', right?

You're awfully cavalier with peoples' livlihoods. Plus, you
ressurected the vile Brian McCarty. For that alone, you should be
drawn and quartered.

BTW, corporate behavior is taking it a bit far. It's just a fairly
small retailer who decides what to do with the stuff that passes
through the door. Why don't you buy some of the stuff and save it from
the evil soldering gun if you feel so strongly about it. BTW, if one
working unit resurrects 5 non-working units, wouldn't that be a good
thing?
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 1:25:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.marketplace,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

You bring up some intelligent points. So I'll bring up a few, well,
their intelligence is for others to decide, but they are certainly
points.

First, you posted _commercial_ For Sale ads on an opinion newsgroup.
Others didn't crosspost them "for" you, you did. So you got up onstage
at amateur night and apparently find the heckling a little raw. I have
news, it's not going to stop. Notice no one bothers you from the
marketplace newsgroups or r.a.pro or r.a.tech. There's no way in hell
I'd post any forsale ad on an opinion newsgroup unless I just wanted
some entertaining flamage.

Second, if you have to start pulling down _working gear_ for parts
there must be a shortage of them. Big time. There is a lot to be said
for Fender guitars, M1911 pistols, Harley Davidson motorcycles,
smallblock Chevy engines and certain pro audio pieces, all the parts
are available and usually from several sources. You buy one and you
don't have to worry about paying some creep a fortune for some obscure
part. Now from a collector standpoint I might prefer other pieces, but
if you are going to put the beast in revenue service I'd think in terms
of the old standbys.

Thirdly, when you start pulling down equipment for parts you run into
a phenomenon, call it "cherry picking" or 80/20, there are usually just
a few pieces everyone wants because they wear out or go bad and you
wind up with a lot of hulks that are unusable, unremerchantable, and
have no economic future so what do you do? You dumpster them. (Perhaps
after sledging them to deter dumpsterdiving.)
My guess is that 50% to 90% by weight of the pieces you part out will
wind up in the dumpster. Given inventory taxes, the cost of floor space
and the time value of money it might even be higher.

Fourth, if the piece is 30 years old, so are all its pieces. My
seventies Japanese consumo or prosumo deck needs pieces because the old
one disintegrated from age, I buy a replacement part from you, what is
its expected longevity going to be? Ask any aircraft mechanic about
"cure date" and surplus rubber parts, or any assembly containing same.
Some pieces in tape transports and turntables, if not available new,
are just going to put you back out of business in short order.

Given the prices of stuff on eBay-and a disbelief that you're morally
disinclined to sell that way if the money were better than for parting
it out-you are probably going to have to charge some pretty
codwhallopin' prices for your parts, too. You have to, in effect, be
"cherry pulling".
March 16, 2005 2:08:33 AM

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 19:23:00 -0600, dave weil <dweil2@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>On 15 Mar 2005 09:15:53 -0800, calcerise@hotmail.com wrote:
>

>> If I really thought they were selling hot gear so brazenly I'd call
>>the Nashville PD. The fact that they are offering _nothing but_ parted
>>out gear and used tape is sort of a sign of not necessarily criminal,
>>but just typically stupid corporate behavior.
>
>So, when you wrote:
>
>"Must be stolen, radioactive, or something. I wouldn't go near
>anything you've got with a ten foot pole".
>
>you were just funnin', right?
>
>You're awfully cavalier with peoples' livlihoods. Plus, you
>ressurected the vile Brian McCarty. For that alone, you should be
>drawn and quartered.

'Resurrected'??? I thought this *was* Brian.

>BTW, corporate behavior is taking it a bit far. It's just a fairly
>small retailer who decides what to do with the stuff that passes
>through the door. Why don't you buy some of the stuff and save it from
>the evil soldering gun if you feel so strongly about it. BTW, if one
>working unit resurrects 5 non-working units, wouldn't that be a good
>thing?
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 9:54:54 AM

In article 1110906953.799151.242760@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com,
"calcerise@hotmail.com" <calcerise@hotmail.com> wrote:

> If I really thought they were selling hot gear so brazenly I'd call
> the Nashville PD. The

An excellent plan!
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 9:54:55 AM

In article 06he319i08sloqkiip411tb9kpd251i8u4@4ax.com, "George M. Middius"
<Spam-B-Gone@resistance.org> wrote:

> That strikes me as irrational. Why shouldn't the value of something be
> determined by the marketplace?

Exactly why bluebook valuation is so important!

The bluebook is an "unbiased record" of the maketplace.

Thank you for your continued support!

OFFICIAL BLUEBOOK VALUATION CENTER

PERIODIC LISTING-QUESTIONABLE SELLERS & UNLICENSED DEALERS & PROVEN SCAMMERS
SCAMMERS EJECTED FROM USENET BY GROUP ACTION

RANDYSSTEREOOUTLET.COM
SOUND EMPORIUM TEAMCONSULTANTS@TCINTERNET.NET
AUDIO TWEAKERS
TEKLINEAUDIO.COM & MR-CABLE.COM
PERROTTACONSULTING & MUSICTOOLS-USA.COM
DAVID & CAROL MORETTO THEAUDIODEPT.COM/DISCOUNTS-N-DEALS.COM/CARDIFFROSE.NET
HOLOMAXX CABLES
AUDIOESSENTIALS - TORONTO ONTARIO
DOCDVD.COM
SAVANT AUDIO JOSHUA CINTRON AND MARY MALLERY
RICHARD MARKS DESIGN AKA GOOD AUDIO
HOOVER1@RCN.COM
JASONDWINE@AOL.COM
BILL98765b@AOL.COM & BRAD971837@AOL.COM aka TARGET HIFI
GOLDENEARS2001@YAHOO.COM
KLJ TECHNOLOGIES
GRESH AUDIO
PUT SEUNSOM
COASTLINE CABLES
LOWTHERSPEAKERS.COM
TREVOR STOREY - NEWARK oaks@voicenet.com
MOON AUDIO HIGHERFI.COM

SOUND EMPORIUM
--------------
Robert Benson
Suzanne Manka

Are the likely culprits, although they are hiding behind layers of anonymous
email addresses.
Service? Nope. Support? Nope.

No phone number. No verifiable email address. Hiding behind sockpuppets
and anonymous email servers isn't the hallmark of a "quality" vendor.

Claims to offer "the consistently lowest price available on-line"

"Consistently Low"? What a laugher. Others are far lower on Ebay and
elsewhere.

Except "Robert Benson" was ejected from TCInternet. Also ejected from Ebay,
wherethey established another account and loaded it up with phony "praise".
A known scammer tactic used to support the scam.

The St. Paul city treasurer's office, can find no such business
registered in St. Paul! The only two words people know with "sound
emporium" is "certified scamsters"!!!

Then there is what SENNHEISER USA has said:
"This outfit is not an authorized Sennheiser Dealer and as such we
cannot guarantee the authenticity or the legitimacy of this product
offering. I suggest you purchase your HD600 from one of our authorized
dealers in order to secure legitimate, factory fresh product."

Sincerely,

Robert G. Douglas
Manager, Consumer Electronics
Sennheiser Electronic Corp.

RANDYSSTEREOOUTLET.COM BOGGSTUBE (EBAY) RANDY AND PATRICIA BOGGESS

LAWSUITS FILED AGAINST RANDY'S STEREO OUTLET - WV ORDERS BUSINESS CLOSED

**WEST VIRGINIA AUTHORITIES FILE LAWSUIT AGAINST BOGGESS, TV REPORTERS CHASE
HIM DOWN STREET AS HE HIDES LIKE THE SICK INDIVIDUAL HE IS***

WEBSITE AVAILABLE TO ORGANIZE THOSE SCAMMED AND GET THESE CHARLATANS PUT IN
JAIL WHERE THEY BELONG -

http://www.monkeyfreak.com/RSO.htm

SCAMMER GIVEN SUSPENDED JAIL SENTENCE BUT APPARENTLY STILL ACTIVE -BEWARE!

W ENTERPRISES NORTHWEST
-----------------------

Maybe Mr. WENW Donald Winslow can explain why his corporate registration has
been cancelled?

http://sos-venus.sos.state.or.us:8080/beri_prod/pkg_web...
etl?p_be_rsn=331097&p_srce=BR_INQ&p_print=FALSE

Maybe he can also "explain" why the State of Oregon shows him going into
business, and then out of business, at least three times!

Business Address of 3439 NE Sandy Blvd is in fact a MAIL BOXES ETC maildrop.

The city of Portland Oregon has NO business license and has begun an
investigation.

ACTIVE SCAMMER ALERT!
---------------------

BOB & SYLVAN MOREIN
----------
GUILTY of protecting scammers and fraudsters, and attacking those that have
made such great strides toward protecting the innocent scammed by these
frauds!

Bob Morein is an unemployed and unemployable 40 year old alleged pederast
living in his daddy's house in Dresher, Pennsylvania, a wealthy suburb or
Philadelphia.

He is conducting his life in a most unseemly manner; despite numerous
entreaties from his father and recently deceased mother, he continues to
live in the same sorry 10' x 12' room in Dresher, PA. The parent's proud
jewish hopes of an intellectual son were dashed when he was denied a degree
at Drexel University, and subsequently demanded daddy fund a lawsuit. . . A
true vision of integrity (hahahahaha).

And the courts found explicitly against Morein, showing him as the lying
twisted individual we have all come to know. In fact, court documents point
to witness credibility being critical to their decision. And keep in mind,
this case was reviewed by appeals courts!

These allegations have made him a new target for the lawsuits of those who
have been subject to this slander and libel.

Seems like there are many standing in line for their "pound of unleavened
flesh" from this king of the charlatans and scammers.Registrant:
Robert Morein
501 Edgehill Road
Suite A9
Glenside, PA 19025-1238
US
2123888287
29559@whois.gkg.net

Registered at daddy's office, btw.

HIGHENDAUDIO.COM
----------------
Owned by a pitiful shell of a man, Ted has had so many lines pulled from him
he has decided to list used gear on his website.

AUDIOBUYS
---------
This seller has NEGATIVE rating on Ebay! No business license from District
of Columbia, required for all retail sellers.

HIFIMAN69@AOL.COM
-----------------
Not listed as authorised dealer, although he claims to have "new" products
with no rational explanation. Manufacturers all deny he's a dealer

Warranty? Stolen? Who knows?

**RESULT: EJECTED FROM USENET**

HOOVER1@RCN.COM
---------------
Not listed as authorised dealer, although he claims to have "new" products
with no rational explanation. Manufacturers all deny he's a dealer

**RESULT: EJECTED FROM USENET**
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 9:54:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.marketplace,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I just want to know what record he's using? Since it isn't Orion, and
he certainly isn't referencing ebay or audiogon sales. Where do his
prices come from?
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 9:54:56 AM

"OFFICIAL RAM BLUEBOOK VALUATION" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> In article 06he319i08sloqkiip411tb9kpd251i8u4@4ax.com, "George M. Middius"
> <Spam-B-Gone@resistance.org> wrote:
>
>> That strikes me as irrational. Why shouldn't the value of something be
>> determined by the marketplace?
>
> Exactly why bluebook valuation is so important!
>
> The bluebook is an "unbiased record" of the maketplace.

It is a faulty record. Not really even a record at all.

March 16, 2005 10:44:54 AM

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 23:08:33 -0500, Ron <ronami@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 19:23:00 -0600, dave weil <dweil2@bellsouth.net>
>wrote:
>
>>On 15 Mar 2005 09:15:53 -0800, calcerise@hotmail.com wrote:
>>

>>> If I really thought they were selling hot gear so brazenly I'd call
>>>the Nashville PD. The fact that they are offering _nothing but_ parted
>>>out gear and used tape is sort of a sign of not necessarily criminal,
>>>but just typically stupid corporate behavior.
>>
>>So, when you wrote:
>>
>>"Must be stolen, radioactive, or something. I wouldn't go near
>>anything you've got with a ten foot pole".
>>
>>you were just funnin', right?
>>
>>You're awfully cavalier with peoples' livlihoods. Plus, you
>>ressurected the vile Brian McCarty. For that alone, you should be
>>drawn and quartered.
>
>'Resurrected'??? I thought this *was* Brian.

Now THAT'S cold!
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 11:13:37 AM

On 15 Mar 2005 22:25:29 -0800, calcerise@hotmail.com wrote:

> You bring up some intelligent points. So I'll bring up a few, well,
>their intelligence is for others to decide, but they are certainly
>points.
>
> First, you posted _commercial_ For Sale ads on an opinion newsgroup.
>Others didn't crosspost them "for" you, you did. So you got up onstage
>at amateur night and apparently find the heckling a little raw. I have
>news, it's not going to stop. Notice no one bothers you from the
>marketplace newsgroups or r.a.pro or r.a.tech. There's no way in hell
>I'd post any forsale ad on an opinion newsgroup unless I just wanted
>some entertaining flamage.
>
> Second, if you have to start pulling down _working gear_ for parts
>there must be a shortage of them. Big time. There is a lot to be said
>for Fender guitars, M1911 pistols, Harley Davidson motorcycles,
>smallblock Chevy engines and certain pro audio pieces, all the parts
>are available and usually from several sources. You buy one and you
>don't have to worry about paying some creep a fortune for some obscure
>part. Now from a collector standpoint I might prefer other pieces, but
>if you are going to put the beast in revenue service I'd think in terms
>of the old standbys.
>
> Thirdly, when you start pulling down equipment for parts you run into
>a phenomenon, call it "cherry picking" or 80/20, there are usually just
>a few pieces everyone wants because they wear out or go bad and you
>wind up with a lot of hulks that are unusable, unremerchantable, and
>have no economic future so what do you do? You dumpster them. (Perhaps
>after sledging them to deter dumpsterdiving.)
>My guess is that 50% to 90% by weight of the pieces you part out will
>wind up in the dumpster. Given inventory taxes, the cost of floor space
>and the time value of money it might even be higher.
>
> Fourth, if the piece is 30 years old, so are all its pieces. My
>seventies Japanese consumo or prosumo deck needs pieces because the old
>one disintegrated from age, I buy a replacement part from you, what is
>its expected longevity going to be? Ask any aircraft mechanic about
>"cure date" and surplus rubber parts, or any assembly containing same.
>Some pieces in tape transports and turntables, if not available new,
>are just going to put you back out of business in short order.
>
> Given the prices of stuff on eBay-and a disbelief that you're morally
>disinclined to sell that way if the money were better than for parting
>it out-you are probably going to have to charge some pretty
>codwhallopin' prices for your parts, too. You have to, in effect, be
>"cherry pulling".

Finally Cal, at least you don't slam and you make good points.
I would counter with several points though.

First is a point that I made previously which you didn't address. If
one working unit keeps 5 units in service, does it matter how much of
the hulk goes into the dumpster?

If a commercial service buys a working unit, are they obliged to hold
on to it until it sells, even if it never sells? Is there a certain
point where even you can determine that a product holds no commercial
value as a working unit?

As to the determination about reliability of the used parts in a tape
transport, I doubt that there's much interest in a pinch roller for
the very reason that you bring up, but lots of interest in the unique
metal cog or lever that you just can't get these days. The point is,
in a used "unavailable" parts market, interest and price float to some
sort of accomodation. If someone has a cherished consumer-grade tape
deck that doesn't engage the tape anymore, they're pretty much out of
luck unless someone offers that odd part that has broken down. Either
that, or they have to get rid of that unit to someone like
MrMarksMusic for pennies on the dollar. In a perfect world, all owners
of non-working units wouldn't want them any more and would sell them
to such brokers, and only those units would be used to part out. But
that doesn't happen, because many people want to fix their ailing
units and/or they don't want to get rid of the unit for virtually
nothing, or they have a sentimental attachment to the unit (or they
think that they can't get a better unit for their purposes). And then
you find that, with the exception of a few really valuable or famous
units, few are interested in buying 30 and 40 year old units.

Just like any other business, this company works on margins and only
they can determine whether a unit is pulling its weight on the
warehouse floor. In fact, it's that very determination that leads to
the decision to turn a non-moving working item into parts that can
keep as many as a dozen units operational. And even if it's only 12
parts out of 300, this is actually better for the environment and for
the hobby in general than trashcanning 12 units, each landing in the
dumpster because it's not worth it to the owner to sell the
non-working unit on eBay for $20 or they can't find that one $10 part
that would keepthe unit operational.

Thanks for finally saying something other than calling this operation
a scam. Your points are well-made and taken at face value. At least
these opinions are valid, in my view. Your previous ones weren't
(again, just MY opinion). It's funny though that your comments led one
person to believe (probably facetiously) that you were Brian McCarty.
This is enough, I would think, to make you sit up and reevaluate your
approach. I wouldn't wish THAT on ANYBODY.

I'd also add that I don't think that for sale items are supposed to be
posted in RAO anyway, but it's been a while since I've seen the
abstract for the newsgroup. I just hate to see the usual RAO tactics
applied to "innocents". They just haven't earned the derision that we
sometimes reserve for each other.
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 4:21:15 PM

<calcerise@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>you are probably going to have to charge some pretty
> codwhallopin' prices for your parts, too.

<in my best Groucho Marx voice> "And if you've ever whalloped a cod, you
know what I'm talking' about!"

:D
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 8:05:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

MrMarksMusic@aol.com wrote:
> Well, everyone has a lot to say about this parting out subject.
>
> A fellow reader was so good as to alert us to this thread that got
> started from our Marantz parts post.

I've stayed out of this thread till now precisely because I *do* know Mark
and have crossed swords with him in the nashville.general group over his
spamming. Frankly, the above sentence illustrates much of my problem with
his business. That he needed for a 'fellow reader' to alert him to this
thread is exactly what's wrong with him posting his spam here. He is
neither a contributer or a reader...just a spammer.

If anyone were to access his website, or to visit his store, they'd realize
that he does indeed sell complete units...some working some not. The prices
he charges very likely are why he is forced to part out such.

As someone else pointed out, there are appropriate places for this type of
post....

jak

> peace
> over and out
> mm
> www.mrmarksmusic.com
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 11:06:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.marketplace,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

More likely one unit parted will "save" two or three because given a
statistically significant "fleet" the same parts start going first.
Most of the unit will go to the dumpster because of inventory tax and
the value of floor space.

A more intelligent business model is to find one or a small selection
of units with which you are very familiar and can supply new (and
upgraded) parts and service for. You can't be knowledgeable about
everything, so pick a given unit or range and become that box's
"parents". Univair Aircraft works on exactly that model and very
successfully. As do several hi-fi vendors.

I've seen their website and have two comments. One, it does not strike
me as very professional looking. Audio Classics, Ed Roman Guitars, and
several others I can think of are actually much better and if they put
the effort into their website instead of spamming inappropriate
newsgroups they'd be way ahead. Second, lack of vintage gear and
service for same isn't the problem in Nashville, lack of vintage talent
is. I spent two hours of self-torture this morning listening to the
country station in my area. Songwriting, vocals and production must be
at an all-time low. Whatever happened to guys like Harlan Howard, who
could at least claim to be in the same professsion as a Johnny Mercer?
I realize there is a lot more to Nashville than the lowest common
denominator dogshit that country radio is formatted around, but that's
where the mindshare and probably much of the cash flow is.
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 11:44:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.marketplace,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

OFFICIAL RAM BLUEBOOK VALUATION (snip)

> You're unneeded, like an old buggy whip.

Buggies may be out of style, but dominatrixes are forever. There's
some demand still there...
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 12:30:10 AM

In article 1110939151.429223.264130@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com,
"MrMarksMusic@aol.com" <MrMarksMusic@aol.com> wrote:

> Many of you may not know it, but there was a day when one could run a
> business and buy/sell/repair used gear. We did that for a decade on
> Music Row and had a very sucessful business.

And in the era of digital audio and LSI's, it is now an irrelevant business.
Cost of gear has plummeted, and standards are tightened so that all
equipment performance is essentially equal, and when it breaks you throw it
out.

You're unneeded, like an old buggy whip.

> So successful, we were
> able to retire for ten years and spend our time doing good deeds for
> people.

But apparently not successful enough to STAY retired, so you're back in a
market that doesn't need the "services" of someone with your "skills", and
have stooped to scamming in order to "retire" again.

But hey, I've heard McDonald's loves to hire the unskilled aged. Why not
give 'em a call!

--

RIPOFF ALERT!

2002-AVERAGE REC.AUDIO.MARKETPLACE ADS 344 (PER MONTH)
MOST SCAMMERS

2004-AVERAGE REC.AUDIO.MARKETPLACE ADS 31 (PER MONTH)
MOST LEGIT

OFFICIAL BLUEBOOK VALUATION SUCCESSFUL IN STOPPING SCAMMERS!
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 12:30:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.marketplace,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 21:30:10 +1000, OFFICIAL RAM BLUEBOOK VALUATION
<nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote:

>In article 1110939151.429223.264130@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com,
>"MrMarksMusic@aol.com" <MrMarksMusic@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> Many of you may not know it, but there was a day when one could run a
>> business and buy/sell/repair used gear. We did that for a decade on
>> Music Row and had a very sucessful business.
>
>And in the era of digital audio and LSI's, it is now an irrelevant business.
>Cost of gear has plummeted, and standards are tightened so that all
>equipment performance is essentially equal, and when it breaks you throw it
>out.
>
>You're unneeded, like an old buggy whip.
>
>> So successful, we were
>> able to retire for ten years and spend our time doing good deeds for
>> people.
>
>But apparently not successful enough to STAY retired, so you're back in a
>market that doesn't need the "services" of someone with your "skills", and
>have stooped to scamming in order to "retire" again.
>
>But hey, I've heard McDonald's loves to hire the unskilled aged. Why not
>give 'em a call!

Hey Brian McCarty, how's the studio coming? Did you ever finally end
up paying all of your creditors? Still having legal problems down
there in Australia? I notice that you're blaming the stop of the
project on 9/11. It's clever that you now have a picture of a
front-loader dumping dirt into a dump truck though. PROGRESS! No site
cam though. No listing of studio equipment. Still have that nice
elevation sketch. Wonder how much of THAT has changed...I hear that
quonset huts are in season...
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 9:53:56 AM

On 16 Mar 2005 20:06:06 -0800, calcerise@hotmail.com wrote:

>More likely one unit parted will "save" two or three because given a
>statistically significant "fleet" the same parts start going first.
>Most of the unit will go to the dumpster because of inventory tax and
>the value of floor space.
>
> A more intelligent business model is to find one or a small selection
>of units with which you are very familiar and can supply new (and
>upgraded) parts and service for. You can't be knowledgeable about
>everything, so pick a given unit or range and become that box's
>"parents". Univair Aircraft works on exactly that model and very
>successfully. As do several hi-fi vendors.

But it isn't the only intelligent business model.

This operation has chosen a salvage operation as the basis for their
business. It generates SOME marketable working gear but they aren't
trying to be a "vintage hi-fi company". They buy stuff that nobody
else wants - a lot of stuff that WOULD end up in the dumpster if they
didn't buy it for pennies on the dollar, and much of it from defunct
or rennovated studios. As I think their "spam" indicated, they are
open to selling working units if they get an offer on it. But they
shouldn't be expected to hold an item indefinitely just because
someone thinks of the item as an old aunt or uncle, or something more
special than an old aircraft.

> I've seen their website and have two comments. One, it does not strike
>me as very professional looking.

I agree that they're newcomers to this "newfangled Internet thing".

> Audio Classics, Ed Roman Guitars, and
>several others I can think of are actually much better and if they put
>the effort into their website instead of spamming inappropriate
>newsgroups they'd be way ahead.

Hopefully, they've gotten the message that For Sale postings aren't
appropriate for this forum. But they aren't trying to be Audio
Classics or Ed Roman Guitars, or Mandolin Bros or their neighbor
George Gruhn Guitars (which is probably the best and most prestigious
"vintage company"). They're filling another niche. You probably can't
find an 8 foot 19 in. rack at Audio Classics. You probably can't find
a spindle for your old Pioneer reel-to-reel at Audio Classics. In
fact, for all we know, Audio Classics might come to them (or certainly
a company LIKE them) when they're trying to spruce up one of their
"classics". Companies like this are vital for the continuation of the
classic market. SOMEBODY has to supply the long-unavailable parts.

>Second, lack of vintage gear and
>service for same isn't the problem in Nashville, lack of vintage talent
>is. I spent two hours of self-torture this morning listening to the
>country station in my area. Songwriting, vocals and production must be
>at an all-time low. Whatever happened to guys like Harlan Howard, who
>could at least claim to be in the same professsion as a Johnny Mercer?
>I realize there is a lot more to Nashville than the lowest common
>denominator dogshit that country radio is formatted around, but that's
>where the mindshare and probably much of the cash flow is.

I'm no hat-band fan, but one can lay much of the blame on the current
state of country music squarely on the doorstep of aformentioned
country radio. The LCD is generated by the demands of country radio.
And you hit the nail on the head - it's all about the cash flow. But
you know what? One can over-romanticize what's currently happening to
country music because it's all happened before. Remember Billy
Sherrill? Cosmopolitan country? That happened back in the 60s. People
said the same thing about IT that they're saying now. The Outlaw
Country movement of the 70s was a reaction to that. And periodically,
you get glimpses of the same thing now. Only thing is, they call it
Americana now. Plenty of interesting artists in that "genre". Only
thing is, there's not a lot of radio programming that covers it. And
very little of it leaks into monolithic country radio. Part of it is
politics, not only with the labels that are being held hostage by said
radio, but the actual politics of the performers. You're not going to
hear Steve Earle on most "country" stations, you know.

As for Harlan Howard, what happened to him is that he died a couple of
years ago. Rather hard for him to write songs now. BTW, everyone in
Nashville still considers him the gold standard. Thing is, a lot of
songwriting is literally a punch the clock affair, much like the Brill
Building stuff was. It's just more widespread and not concentrated to
a few brilliant writers. More output is demanded by more songwriters,
so by necessity, you're going to see a lot more mediocre stuff. Hell,
even Sharon Stone came here to write country songs.
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 7:08:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.marketplace,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Thing is, a lot of
> songwriting is literally a punch the clock affair, much like the
Brill
> Building stuff was. It's just more widespread and not concentrated to
> a few brilliant writers. More output is demanded by more songwriters,
> so by necessity, you're going to see a lot more mediocre stuff. Hell,
> even Sharon Stone came here to write country songs.

She could hardly do any worse.
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 11:59:33 PM

_None_ of the old guys could have made it now, because back then they
were looking for very different things. They wanted people who had
musical ability and were entertaining to a broad cross-section without
really offending anyone. Now your worth is determined largely by what
narrow demo you don't repel.
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 6:59:09 AM

"dave weil" <dweil2@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> I'm no hat-band fan, but one can lay much of the blame on the current
> state of country music squarely on the doorstep of aformentioned
> country radio. The LCD is generated by the demands of country radio.

I give the Lowest Common Denominator lots more credit than that!

It's time to lay the blame squarely where it belongs which is on Madison
Avenue and Wall Street. The state of every genre of music in the United
States is a disaster because the advertisors' drunken affair with
micro-marketing has driven a wedge between music and the fans. A young
Johnny Cash probably couldn't get to square one today because he appealed to
far too broad a cross-section of the population.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com

Archived from groups: alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.marketplace,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

calcerise@hotmail.com wrote:
> More likely one unit parted will "save" two or three because given a
> statistically significant "fleet" the same parts start going first.
> Most of the unit will go to the dumpster because of inventory tax and
> the value of floor space.
>
> A more intelligent business model is to find one or a small
selection
> of units with which you are very familiar and can supply new (and
> upgraded) parts and service for. You can't be knowledgeable about
> everything, so pick a given unit or range and become that box's
> "parents". Univair Aircraft works on exactly that model and very
> successfully. As do several hi-fi vendors.
>
> I've seen their website and have two comments. One, it does not
strike
> me as very professional looking. Audio Classics, Ed Roman Guitars,
and
> several others I can think of are actually much better and if they
put
> the effort into their website instead of spamming inappropriate
> newsgroups they'd be way ahead. Second, lack of vintage gear and
> service for same isn't the problem in Nashville, lack of vintage
talent
> is. I spent two hours of self-torture this morning listening to the
> country station in my area. Songwriting, vocals and production must
be
> at an all-time low. Whatever happened to guys like Harlan Howard, who
> could at least claim to be in the same professsion as a Johnny
Mercer?
> I realize there is a lot more to Nashville than the lowest common
> denominator dogshit that country radio is formatted around, but
that's
> where the mindshare and probably much of the cash flow is.

Calcercise, I don't know you and don't mean to be harsh, but you
owe Mr Marks Music an apology, not a continuing dissertation on the
moral flaws of his business model. You basically called the man a
dealer in stolen goods, without any valid basis for having done so.
And crossposting ads aside, his response was a lot more generous than
it needed to be, the occasional business ad on a newsgroup does not a
felon make.

Until you apologize as publically as you made your accusations,
your lengthy essays on Mr. Mark's moral flaws really just come off as a
smokescreen, a using of your considerable intellectual powers to create
a diversion from your own faults. When you say things like that, you
shoot your credibility in the foot until you stand up and acknowledge
that you were wrong.

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Staff Audio / Fox News / M-AES
March 19, 2005 6:24:19 PM

Yes Bob, the culture eats, and spits itself out daily.
Capitalism, is like a shark, it swims or dies, and it doesn't care what it
eat's, unlike the shark. Hey, and then there's the dreaded Clear Channel
virus, I was going to say something about Tony "Bonjovi", but what can one
add, that hasn't already been said. ;-)

Tom

!