Enabling dual channel DDR

SurferX

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2003
I have an MSI K7N2 motherboard with nForce2 chipset. I have 3 DDR RAM banks in the board, two are right next to each other and the other is an inch or so away. I wanted to know how I should place my RAM and what settings I need to change in the BIOS in order to enable the dual channel or twinbank setup that I hear people talk about with this board. I read through the motherboard manual and it makes no mention of setting anything up for dual channel, it really doesn't even say how I should be placing the RAM.

Also I was wondering if anyone has done any benchmark tests of (for example) two 256 sticks running in dual channel versus one 512 stick (same bus speed as the other sticks) and noted what sort of improvements there were. I couldn't find any tests on this site relating to that but I could have missed it. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

murdoK

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
i have the gigabyte SINXP, but i dotn remeber if they are next to eachother or not. i want to say that they are. If it says memory operating in 128bit something or pother in the post is when mine is in dual channel. I assume it would be the same for you.

JimmyDean

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
Put one stick in the slot that is seperated from the other two... Then put the other stick in the slot farthest from that... It should look like this
<--------------------------> - 1 stick here
<--------------------------> - Empty

<--------------------------> - 1 stick here

<b><font color=red>Remember kids, if you see a downed power line, suck on the end, candy comes out!</font color=red></b>

SurferX

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2003
Cool, thank you very much for the info. So no BIOS settings or anything have to be changed they will be set to do twinbank just by installing them that way?

JimmyDean

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
nope it should just kick off dual channel from the get go

<b><font color=red>Remember kids, if you see a downed power line, suck on the end, candy comes out!</font color=red></b>