Sign in with
Your question

Initial BIOS Setup - AMD XP2200+ and Asus MB

Last response: in Components
April 13, 2003 10:17:55 AM

Hello,

My computer is up and running, and I now need to configure the BIOS. I have an AMD XP2200+ and an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe MB. What do I need to do in the BIOS? Are there any step by step guides online (an idiots guide)?

I just want to go with AMD recommended values here, and not try to overclock.

All help is appreciated...thanks!
April 13, 2003 10:51:10 AM

Well the CPU should be detected and set for default right away... you wont have to do any tweaking for that.

But if you tell me what the rest of your hardware is I can recommend some other settings for you.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek: 
April 13, 2003 12:18:37 PM

Thanks SVol. I have:

one 512MB Kingmax DDR400 Dimm (will get another next month)
ATI 9000 Pro 64mb Graphics Card
Leadtek XP2000 TV Tuner Card
Related resources
April 13, 2003 12:59:55 PM

I need a little more information about your memory to advise the memory timings.

But you can already start by setting your AGP Aperture Size to 128 or 256MB.

And here are some guides that can give your more information about BIOS tuning:
<A HREF="http://www4.tomshardware.com/howto/20010725/index.html" target="_new">http://www4.tomshardware.com/howto/20010725/index.html&...;/A>
<A HREF="http://www.rojakpot.com/bog.aspx" target="_new">http://www.rojakpot.com/bog.aspx&lt;/A>

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek: 
April 13, 2003 3:12:10 PM

Svol is about to give you some of his usually excellent advice...

But I'd suggest you exercise patience and wait till you are sure it's all working before you go after the performance settings.

<i>Initially</i> you should put everything that will go on Auto on Auto.

This sets up a minimum config that will let you run the system for a while (a week or so) and make sure everything is stable and reliable. Once you are sure it's all working properly you can begin tweaking and adjusting for performance.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---
April 13, 2003 3:13:36 PM

From that link I can tell you that the CAS Latency is 2.5 for your module. Too bad it doesn't give the other numbers like RAS and Command Rate... but I guess if you set the memory to 'by SPD' it will set itself the the best settings.

April 14, 2003 4:34:29 AM

Thanks Teq, Thanks Svol, i've done what you've both said (on my MB by SPD was the default). My computer is running, but I have an issue I was hoping you could help me with:

My computer is now running, and I was trying to install RedHat 8 on the HD. When trying to do so, I kept losing my monitor signal. I have left the settings in the BIOS pretty much the default, I changed the AGP Aperuture setting to 256, instead of 64. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the install, but after initializing my drive, it says its preparing to copy files, and then it looks like it switches to another screen, but at the same time I lose the signal to the monitor. This also happens sometimes on startup...the signal is not there. So I turn it off for a few minutes, and turn it back on, and then it will work for a bit ( until I get to the same point in the install).

I'm using an ATI Radeon 9000 Pro on the machine. I have not updated the BIOS yet.

The memory is in the second slot (512mb).

I was also wondering where the three case fan headers were on the MB. I found 1 called PWR_FAN1, and another called CHA_FAN1...is this what I should use? I plugged into them, and I'm getting power to these two fans, but I don't know if I should be doing this. I also have two more fans, right now, they are both going to the PSU, but I would prefer to put one of them onto the MB.

And one last thing...what is clearing the CMOS? Should I have done this?

Thanks for reading my questions...I hope you can help...
April 14, 2003 5:03:17 AM

Ok, the monitor signal is a problem...

Does it lose signal in the BIOS?
Bios is text mode... 80x25 70hz.
If not it could be something redhat's doing.

Bring up your onscreen display and see what the vertical frequency is under redhat... I've seen monitors shut off in low res modes when the refresh gets even a tiny hair under 60hz.

You can try cleaning the video connectors... dip a toothbrush in rubbing alcohol and sweep it across the pins on your monitor's video cord and press it gently into the sockets on the video card. Then holding the plug firmly (not by the cord!) push the plug into the video card's connector, gently rock it around and pull it out several times, before the alcohol completely dries. Let things dry, reconnect and see what you get...

You can also try removing, cleaning and re-seating the video card itself. AGP connectors are notorious misbehavers... Again, dip a toothbrush in alcohol and clean the socket by sweeping the brush several times along it's length, being sure to get the bristles well down into the socket. Clean the edge conncetors on the video card by sweeping a soft pencil eraser along them, both sides. Let everything dry and reinstall the card making sure it's pressed all the way down.

For the fans... don't worry about it. The only one that really needs to be hooked to the motherboard is the CPU fan. This is so your software (or BIOS) can monitor the fan in case it stalls. A stalled case fan is seldom an immediate disaster...

For the CMOS clear and BIOS updates... My friend, if it ain't broke, don't be in any hurry to fix it. BIOS updates are risky business, and rearely necessary. It's something you do to solve problems, not simply because there's a new version.

April 14, 2003 5:19:24 PM

Thanks Teq...I'll try those things. I actually don't have Redhat8 installed, each time during the install this problem occurs, so I can't see any display settings.

The monitor cable is working fine in another computer, so I will try cleaning the AGP card as you described.

I just tried running it with another monitor and the same thing happened.

The computer has frozen a couple times in the BIOS too now...do you think its the same issue?

There aren't any known issues between the A7N8x and ATI cards is there?

Thanks again
April 14, 2003 6:14:43 PM

"There aren't any known issues between the A7N8x and ATI cards is there?"

My new friend, I am the exact wrong person to ask about issues with the A7N8X...

Short answer... there are <b>lots</b> of issues.

I build computers for a somewhat select clientelle. Everything gets tested before it's listed. I got hold of one pretty much the first day they were available in this part of the country and tested it... It never made it to my availability sheets because I had nothing but trouble with it.

Also take a look at the Motherboards forum... look at all the threads about that board... none of those people are bragging. Seems nobody else is getting that board to stabilize either...

So... since you did ask...
If I were you, I'd return that board and get something else.

April 15, 2003 4:32:35 PM

Well if the board could be the reason of the problems then updating the BIOS might be the only way to fix it.

!