40 Gig Creative Zen Vs 20 Gig iPod?

Last response: in Home Audio
March 13, 2005 2:53:33 PM

Hello folks, anyone used both of these? I see Walmart has the 40 gig
Creative Nomad Zen's for $229 and then $20 rebate for a total of $209,
how does this unit compare to an iPod 20 Gig which is closest in price
point to it? I've USED a 1st Gen iPod and the interface is pretty cool,
don't think the newer ones can be much different but maybe I'm wrong
eh?

I also have used Creative Nomad Jukebox, their original one that looked
like a CD Player, the interface isn't as nice as the iPod IMO BUT it's
not bad either. I still use my 10 Gig NJB1 how different if at all is
the Zen's interface? 40 Gigs for $209 is hard to resist ehnit?

Nia:wen Thank you

http://kwiter.webhop.org
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 9:17:31 PM

my partner and i both have nomad zen's and love them. mine is the
oldest one and it has never given me a day of trouble. he has the new
one and loves his as well. splurge on a nice set of sony fontopia
earbuds to go with and you're all set!
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 6:57:30 PM

If I don't need it to record why would this be a problem? I have an
NJB1 that records and have never used this option.

Nia:wen Thank you.
Related resources
March 15, 2005 12:23:46 AM

"sean808080" <cabvolt@gmail.com> wrote:

>my partner and i both have nomad zen's and love them. mine is the
>oldest one and it has never given me a day of trouble. he has the new
>one and loves his as well. splurge on a nice set of sony fontopia
>earbuds to go with and you're all set!

Please instead splurge on a Koss PortaPro (if you are cheap) of Grado
SR225 (if you are not). You will thank me.

On the main point: neither the Creative Zen nor an iPod will record so
why buy them?

:-)

-- robin
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 12:23:47 AM

"robin" <escalation746@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "sean808080" <cabvolt@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>my partner and i both have nomad zen's and love them. mine is the
>>oldest one and it has never given me a day of trouble. he has the new
>>one and loves his as well. splurge on a nice set of sony fontopia
>>earbuds to go with and you're all set!
>
> Please instead splurge on a Koss PortaPro (if you are cheap) of Grado
> SR225 (if you are not). You will thank me.
>
> On the main point: neither the Creative Zen nor an iPod will record so
> why buy them?

I went with the ipod because of the accessories. I needed an armband for
exercise and the adapter to play the ipod through the car radio is awesome!

--

-Hev
remove your opinion to find me here:

"otsinekwar@hotmail.com" <kwiter@gmail.com> wrote:

>If I don't need it to record why would this be a problem? I have an
>NJB1 that records and have never used this option.

Well, I *did* put a smilie in there.

The point I was implying is that since this is rec.audio.pro most
people might want a unit that records. Otherwise you're just a passive
consumer, and where's the fun in that?

But even if I was concerned with playback only I would not buy a unit
with inferior sound and which locks you into proprietary technology
(CODECs, software, online sites, etc.). Hence, no iPod.

-- robin
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 6:09:51 PM

neither can compare to the sound quality or funtionality of an iRiver.
Got the H320 and love it.

Oh yeah..it records.

:)
Scott

robin wrote:
> I wrote:
> > On the main point: neither the Creative Zen nor
> > an iPod will record so why buy them?
> >
> > :-)
>
> "otsinekwar@hotmail.com" <kwiter@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >If I don't need it to record why would this be a problem? I have an
> >NJB1 that records and have never used this option.
>
> Well, I *did* put a smilie in there.
>
> The point I was implying is that since this is rec.audio.pro most
> people might want a unit that records. Otherwise you're just a
passive
> consumer, and where's the fun in that?
>
> But even if I was concerned with playback only I would not buy a unit
> with inferior sound and which locks you into proprietary technology
> (CODECs, software, online sites, etc.). Hence, no iPod.
>
> -- robin
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 7:04:27 PM

Thats interesting you say that, I didn't realize you were LOCKED into a
Codec with the iPod, you can use AIF, AAC,MP3, my Creative NJB1 I can
use MP3, WMA and WAV don't seem locked using either. I used my buddy's
first Gen iPod the last few days as he had a problem with it and I got
it working again using the Diagnostics and software restore so was
fooling with it for 2-3 days, didn't hear any discernable difference
tween them using the same MP3's from my iTunes library, keep in mind of
course I work in the Transit where there's airguns blasting all day so
my hearing is not exactly perfect.

I DO record, I do a weekly Podcast for folks trying to learn the Mohawk
Language, I find using my Home Computer and Audacity much easier than
using my Creative NJB1's recording ability, I carry a powered Lavalier
Mic if I want to record but never do. Haven't heard an iRiver tho DID
buy one(128 meg unit for summer use, has FM and Record ability) and
should have it tommorow according to tracking #, I also have or had a
Rio 300, Digital Research MyMP3, Creative Muvo, Creative NJB2, iRock
530

Skennen Peace.
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 7:08:41 PM

One other thing, I enjoy the postings telling me to buy high end
headphones, espescially as I break them just as fast as the $10 ones.
Do I hear a difference? Sometimes..........

I recall Home magazine doing a Blind Test a while back testing wires,
they EVEN had a set of $150 a piar Stereo cables with some Mystery box
on it. No discernable difference detected, they cracked the box open
and there was NAUGHT inside. Monster Cables were in the test as well as
Gold Tipped Radio Shack cables, they recommened the "inferior" on paper
Rat shack Cables, I tend to concur. Heck I've got a Sherwood
Stereo/Surround unit, high end audiophile I ain't ;-)
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 7:16:07 PM

headphonz wrote:
> neither can compare to the sound quality or funtionality of an
iRiver.
> Got the H320 and love it.
>
> Oh yeah..it records.
>
> :)
> Scott
>

> robin wrote:
> > I wrote:
> > > On the main point: neither the Creative Zen nor
> > > an iPod will record so why buy them?
> > >
> > > :-)
> >
> > "otsinekwar@hotmail.com" <kwiter@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >If I don't need it to record why would this be a problem? I have
an
> > >NJB1 that records and have never used this option.
> >
> > Well, I *did* put a smilie in there.
> >
> > The point I was implying is that since this is rec.audio.pro most
> > people might want a unit that records. Otherwise you're just a
> passive
> > consumer, and where's the fun in that?
> >
> > But even if I was concerned with playback only I would not buy a
unit
> > with inferior sound and which locks you into proprietary technology
> > (CODECs, software, online sites, etc.). Hence, no iPod.
> >
> > -- robin
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 7:21:59 PM

> > But even if I was concerned with playback only I would not buy a
unit
> > with inferior sound and which locks you into proprietary technology
> > (CODECs, software, online sites, etc.). Hence, no iPod.

Agreed.

Gotta second the iriver Hxxx player recommendation also. The H120's go
for good prices on ebay.

Gotta put in a plug for the Ogg Vorbis compression format too. If you
don't know what that is, you should google it.
March 20, 2005 5:21:05 PM

"ashley.powellremove@att.net" <ashley.powell@att.net> wrote:

>Gotta second the iriver Hxxx player recommendation also. The H120's go
>for good prices on ebay.
>
>Gotta put in a plug for the Ogg Vorbis compression format too. If you
>don't know what that is, you should google it.

I was very excited by the iRiver hard drive units as an ultraportable
prosumer grade recording device until I looked at them in detail.

The H1xx series have optical in/out and record to WAV but have a
recording glitch that drops samples every time the hard drive spins
up, which ruins the game. The latest firmware has not fixed this.

The H3xx series does not have optical in/out and has no support for
playing or recording WAV files. The best it can do is MP3 at 320 KPS.

So unfortunately these units fall short of usability when compared to
the Hi-MD units which record to uncompressed WAV just fine. The big
problem with the MD units its Sony's annoying software which allows
only one digital transfer of a file from unit to computer before it
DELETES it. Sheesh!

-- robin
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 6:00:34 AM

I must say, I'm very impressed with my iRiver 380T, the FM Radio
reception is amazingly good in my shop which is essentially a big METAL
building, usually wreaks havoc on reception, the voice recorder also
works fairly well.
After applying the UMS firmware update I like the unit even better.
Going to have to add iRiver to my HD based unit search.

http://kwiter.webhop.org
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 6:11:18 PM

Can the H320 be programmed to record off the radio according to a
schedule (like a tivo for the radio)? I'd like to be able to record
radio shows that I can't listen to (since I'm at work) and then play
them back duren the evening commute.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 7:00:48 PM

robin wrote:

> But even if I was concerned with playback only I would not buy a unit
> with inferior sound and which locks you into proprietary technology
> (CODECs, software, online sites, etc.). Hence, no iPod.

???. What's the point of worrying about that? It's a $200 widget for
listening to music on the subway. Sure glad I didn't wait for
something that met that criteria, or I'd not have had the past years of
fun I've had with mine. I could see not wanting to spend $1,000 on a
a piece of studio hardware that locked me into proprietary technology,
but...

BTW, I've never felt "locked into PT" by my iPod. I use mp3s (as well
as the rest of its formats) from all over and they go in and out of it
like nobody's business. Clients bring theirs in and play reference
mp3s in the studio and it doesn't sound any worse than played via
anything else, and given the non-critical nature of its use it's
pointless to belabor it anyway.

Never been to the iTunes store.

Hey, if you don't like it, think it stinks, that's OK. : ) But
don't knock it for being anything but the consumer pleasure toy that it
is. : )