Cannot get Windows 7 x64 to install

DuceHason

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
I have a legal copy of Windows 7 x64 I got from my schools E-Acadamy. I finally after two days was able to get the file to mount to a DVD-R using Deep Burner as Nero 8 said it was a foreign .iso file along with abou 7 other burning programs... anyways! ....

I have my BIOS set so my CD/DVD drive is the 1st device in the boot order. Reboot the PC after putting in the disc... DVD drive spins up see the black screen with the Windows loading information bar at the bottom then get the pretty blue screen for Windows 7 Start Install.

I hit the start install and BAM runs into a road block. I cannot recall the exact message but it is in regards to .... a missing CD/DVD driver issue. I have checked and rechecked and I cannot find a driver for my Samsung SH-S223Q Lightscribe DVD drive. The frimware is current. The CD that came with the disc drive only contains burning software/Nero 8/Lightscribe software.

It gives me the option at this point to install the right media to install the driver from a CD/DVD or USB Flash key device. I tried my Samsung CD, my Asus mother board CD, I tried a couple of rescue boot CDs I even tried my Windows XP CD... no go on everything I tried. I am at a complete loss here. I have invested more money then my wife would like into this rebuild and it was based around being able to use Windows 7 64bit vs my old build and Windows Xp 32 bit.

Before you ask yes all my hardware is Win7 compatable... i5 750 Quad Core by Intel is my CPU, Seagate Baraccuda 500GB SATA HDD, Samsung SH-S223Q CD/DVD ROM (SATA). I had two storage IDE HDDs hooked up but they contain all of our photos and extra information and my wife didn't want to run the risk of loosing all that with the clean install, so I disconnected the IDE and power cables from the HDDs but left the IDE cable connected to the motherboard as it is tucked in tightly behind my Saphire HD 4860 graphics card.

Any ideas anyone? My next attempt will be to follow the guides to put Win7 onto a USB flashkey and use that to install Win7 onto my PC.

Does your motherboard support RAID? If so, Have you set the SATA controller in your BIOS to either AHCI or RAID mode? Go check just to be sure, and if that is how the controller is set, you're missing the AHCI/RAID driver for the controller. Windows 7 comes bundled with a lot of them, but not every driver is present.

If this is the case, what I would do is go to your motherboard manufacturer's website, download a separate copy of the RAID driver and put it on a flash drive. Load it from the flash drive as you were attempting to do before from the DVD. Setup should then display a proper list of all hard drives connected to that controller.

Oh, and if you have time, I would follow that guide on getting Windows 7 setup on to a flash drive anyway. It cuts the install time down quite nicely. I only install 7 from flash drives myself, and the install is usually finished in 10 minutes (15 on systems with 2+ year old hardware).

DuceHason

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Well I tried 3 times last night to install from my flashkey that was a No-Go. I got the same result as if trying to install from the DVD. Same CD/DVD driver issue.

Ok I have never in my life toyed with RAID. How or what would I look for to figure out if I have the AHCI/RAID driver?

DuceHason

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

I think I found it this morning before work but like a newbie I switched the setting from IDE to AHCI and rebooted to Windows instead of trying to boot from my DVD to install Win 7. So when it rebooted and my Win XP 32bit was loading the system went to BSOD but I can't find the setting to hold the BSOD screen up so I can get the info from it. Grrr.

So I was going to try tonight when I get home to switch it back to the AHCI setting and reboot but this time boot from DVD and try to install that way as a coworker suggested.

DuceHason

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
And another coworker just suggested, "Set your BIOS to treat the cd/dvd drive as an older style, or compatibility. That's my guess." Not sure how to do that. I've never really done much in BIOS before.

That doesn't matter. The DVD drive can boot from the Windows 7 DVD regardless of the SATA controller's setting in the BIOS.

After checking the Asus website, there are 3 drivers you'll want to download and include on the flash drive:

JMicron Controller

Marvell Controller

Intel Matrix Storage Controller

Keep in mind you need to extract the contents of these zip files on to your flash drive or they won't help you. Simply placing the zip files on the flash drive will not allow Windows 7 setup to use the drivers within them.

DuceHason

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Nice. Just to make sure I got this right...

1) Download the 3 listed drivers.

2) Unzip the drivers and place the unzipped data onto the flashkey containing my Win 7 x64

3) Plug Flashkey into PC - reboot and isntall from flashkey

I do NOT need to install the drivers before trying to install Win 7 just place them onto the flashkey containing the Win 7 install? Is that correct?

DuceHason

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Ok if this works (I'll have to wait 5 more hours to get home and try it) tonight I'll owe ya a coffee/soda/beer whatever! So far thanks a ton! I'll let you know tonight the end result.

DuceHason

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
That didn't work either.

Would isntalling the drivers before trying to install 7 work?

Or...

Should I pull my SATA DVD drive and put in an IDE in it's place and try installing from that instea?

No, because you can't install the drivers into an operating system that doesn't exist. If you're referring to slipstreaming the drivers into the disk, that wouldn't really work in your case either, because the net result of slipstreaming is exactly the same as you trying to load them from a flash drive before the install begins. The only difference is you having to actually plug the flash drive in, instead of the drivers already being there.

That being said, I don't understand why the install is not working from the flash drive... plug your hard drive into a different SATA port and retry the install, preferably into one of the horizontally aligned ports at the lower front edge (there should be 4 of them towards the front of the case) of the board. Make sure it is not plugged into either of the 2 white SATA ports above them.

Failing that, try with an IDE DVD drive.

DuceHason

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
I just don't get it! I pulled my SATA DVD and used an IDE and still go the message. I switched ports for the SATA cable and same results. I'm going to try pulling all my SATA devices and switching them up with IDE and see if that works. Though IDE is a bit slower then SATA at this point I don't really care any more I'm so frustrated I'm ready to sell this PC and start from scratch! Damn E-Academy and you janky .UDF download of Win 7!

decoy77

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
I am having a related problem as well trying to load windows 7 onto a new pc build. Have built multiple rigs using msi and gigabyte mobos with no problems. First time using an asus (p6t se). Boots up fine, hear one beep, can enter bios no problem, mobo recognized everything it seems, can see my sata cd-rom and sata velociraptor hd. Set boot priority to 1.)cd-rom 2.)hhd. But, when I put in windows 7 cd, the disk will spin and I'll see the cd-rom light flash for a bit, but then nothing. Not real familair with asus bios. As far as this post goes, is there something special we are missing as far as windows 7 and bios configuration.?

G

DuceHason,
You are describing my problem excactly!!! I also have the same motherboard-ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard,--Samsung 1 TB SJ..., old Sony (compatible with Win7)cd/dvd etc. I am no expert but have built and installed my last four systems. I have a new build(except for a SATA cd/dvd that I'll buy today. I hooked up my new HD and followed the install guide for Win 7 64 and after a few seconds of Windows loading files, I also get the missing cd/dvd driver error. I have XP on my old HD with all of my kids pics on it and was going to transfer those to the new Harddrive once the system was up, but I'm really stressed and have been pulling my hair out with thgis issue. I have read on various sites that this error is usually due to a bad burn of the ISO to the DVD OR an interrupoted download of the ISO that somehow is incomlpte though it says it is(thus it isnt a bad burn of a good ISO. Have was your download interrupted (even though it reconnected and finished?) Others have found this to be their problem. Me? Ive downloaded and burned three ISO DVDs and same problem. Did you figure out the solution? If so, could you point me in the right direction? Thanks.
Twins

decoy77

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
MINE SOLVED=I had actually found that the two cd-roms (both new, one samsung, one lite) were both bad. What bad luck since early in my build I had found that my first cd-rom was bad, so I had taken it back for a second one, thinking this problem was disqualified and not thinking about it until now. The sata power connecter on the cd-rom (which is in an "L" shape was broken (the L tip was shaved off). This seems to have caused a power connection problem where it seems the cd-rom would get enough power to spin the windows 7 cd, but it didnt get enough power to spin it fast enough to load. Bought another cd-rom and bam, loaded up under a min. WHEN IN DOUBT AND WHEN EVERYTHING ELSE LOOKS OK, GO BACK AND DO A TRIPLE CHECK ON YOUR HARDWARE....Would of saved me so much time and frustration. Good luck!