Digi 002 Audio Interface And Logic 7

Last response: in Home Audio
March 14, 2005 11:17:54 AM

Hi Guys
Does anyone here actually run Logic 7 with the digi 002 audio interface?
I want to run a studio without a mixer and mix through logic.
Therefore Im looking for something that will work well with Logic and say
Protools LE if need be. I need something that has connections for multtiple
synth modules and multiple mics hence the digi 002 seems to be what Im
after.
Im just a little concerned about the literature Im reading online about
people having nightmares setting up the digi 002 with Logic particularly
with the TDM plugins..
I would really like some feedback if anyone knows this system before i go
and buy a digi 002 and then regret it
Thanks Ivan
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 11:17:55 AM

hey Ivan,
I've got the 002R for the same reason. It works well with Logic 7
although Digi's CoreAudio drivers are not the best in the industry.
You'll have hard time getting a stable system at lower buffer then 512
(about 23ms latency). Make sure you get the latest drivers (currently
at v6.7). As Ty said, you cannot run TDM plug-ins since the 002 is a
system based on your computers CPU while TDM plug-ins require Digi's
DSP cards.

Cheers,
-Nir
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 1:00:29 PM

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 03:17:54 -0500, Ivan Bertolla wrote
(in article <SMbZd.197354$K7.58585@news-server.bigpond.net.au>):

> Hi Guys
> Does anyone here actually run Logic 7 with the digi 002 audio interface?
> I want to run a studio without a mixer and mix through logic.
> Therefore Im looking for something that will work well with Logic and say
> Protools LE if need be. I need something that has connections for multtiple
> synth modules and multiple mics hence the digi 002 seems to be what Im
> after.
> Im just a little concerned about the literature Im reading online about
> people having nightmares setting up the digi 002 with Logic particularly
> with the TDM plugins..
> I would really like some feedback if anyone knows this system before i go
> and buy a digi 002 and then regret it
> Thanks Ivan

Ivan,

The 002 uses PTLE not PT TDM. That may be the problem. Also I'm not aware
that Logic can interface with the 002. I think you must use PTLE.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com
March 14, 2005 6:55:18 PM

"Ivan Bertolla" <ibertoll@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> [...] Im just a little concerned about the literature Im reading
> online about people having nightmares setting up the digi 002 with
> Logic particularly with the TDM plugins..

I don't have any experience with Logic at all (never mind on a 002), but
I wouldn't expect TDM plugs to work, since they're a proprietary format
that require Digidesign TDM PCI cards. The 002 is an LE device, not
TDM.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)
March 14, 2005 9:27:55 PM

Ivan Bertolla wrote:
> Hi Guys
> Does anyone here actually run Logic 7 with the digi 002 audio interface?
> I want to run a studio without a mixer and mix through logic.
> Therefore Im looking for something that will work well with Logic and say
> Protools LE if need be. I need something that has connections for multtiple
> synth modules and multiple mics hence the digi 002 seems to be what Im
> after.
> Im just a little concerned about the literature Im reading online about
> people having nightmares setting up the digi 002 with Logic particularly
> with the TDM plugins..
> I would really like some feedback if anyone knows this system before i go
> and buy a digi 002 and then regret it
> Thanks Ivan

I'm not sure if this will help (it was advice from an Apple salesperson)
but I was told that Logic Express will work fine with the 002 Rack. I'd
used ProTools LE but got tired of the fact that it has to always be
connected to the hardware in order to run so thought I'd try my luck
with Logic Exp. Haven't installed yet though but hoping that they are
right, otherwise I've wasted some good $$. I also read on one of the
web audio sites that it can be used but one has to update to the latest
Digi Core Audio file.

Karen
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 12:09:24 PM

It should work. We've got 10 licenses of Logic 6.x running through
MBoxes here using Core Audio as the go between. I'm not really familiar
with Logic, but we haven't had any complaints about the setup. So
2-channel I/O seems OK. I don't know if you'd have issues with more
inputs and outputs....

The Digi002 only has one MIDI port, so with your synths, it's not giving
you anything more useful that a cheap $40 Edirol USB interface wouldn't
get you. MOTU audio interfaces should work with Logic, too, I would guess.

The only thing the will work with ProTools LE, though, is a Digidesign
interface. And that's the deal breaker. Everybody else's software will
work with whatever hardware, but ProTools will only work with ProTools
hardware. So if you ever want to run ProTools, you've got to buy their box.

Cheers,
Trevor de Clercq

Ivan Bertolla wrote:
> Hi Guys
> Does anyone here actually run Logic 7 with the digi 002 audio interface?
> I want to run a studio without a mixer and mix through logic.
> Therefore Im looking for something that will work well with Logic and say
> Protools LE if need be. I need something that has connections for multtiple
> synth modules and multiple mics hence the digi 002 seems to be what Im
> after.
> Im just a little concerned about the literature Im reading online about
> people having nightmares setting up the digi 002 with Logic particularly
> with the TDM plugins..
> I would really like some feedback if anyone knows this system before i go
> and buy a digi 002 and then regret it
> Thanks Ivan

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 1:29:44 PM

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 18:27:55 -0500, Karen wrote
(in article <113c7e034fc2oa5@corp.supernews.com>):

> Ivan Bertolla wrote:
>> Hi Guys
>> Does anyone here actually run Logic 7 with the digi 002 audio interface?
>> I want to run a studio without a mixer and mix through logic.
>> Therefore Im looking for something that will work well with Logic and say
>> Protools LE if need be. I need something that has connections for multtiple
>> synth modules and multiple mics hence the digi 002 seems to be what Im
>> after.
>> Im just a little concerned about the literature Im reading online about
>> people having nightmares setting up the digi 002 with Logic particularly
>> with the TDM plugins..
>> I would really like some feedback if anyone knows this system before i go
>> and buy a digi 002 and then regret it
>> Thanks Ivan
>>

> I'm not sure if this will help (it was advice from an Apple salesperson)
> but I was told that Logic Express will work fine with the 002 Rack. I'd
> used ProTools LE but got tired of the fact that it has to always be
> connected to the hardware in order to run so thought I'd try my luck
> with Logic Exp. Haven't installed yet though but hoping that they are
> right, otherwise I've wasted some good $$. I also read on one of the
> web audio sites that it can be used but one has to update to the latest
> Digi Core Audio file.
>
> Karen

Thanks for that Karen. WITOI, garage band's new iteration is supposed to
allow 8 tracks of input. I haven't gotten or tried it yet, but was thinking
the 002R would probably work as an I/O box. Anyone been there yet?

Regards,

Ty

stuff are at www.tyford.com
May 18, 2008 9:15:03 PM

Typical case of OSX core audio Hi jacking!

Quick Fix Worked Great for Me...

a_muso1 on May 18, 2008:

To make Logic Pro 7 recognize the Digi002 as the core audio device.

1. Go to Digi Design Downloads page (you will have to create a user profile) this takes less than 2 minutes.

2. Select the core audio driver that corresponds to your version of MacOSX in my case 10.4 or higher.

3. Down load the driver (dmg installer) to your Desk top.

4. Quit all Apps and run the core audio dmg installer.

5. Upon successful completion of the install Restart your Mac

6. Configure core audio device (Digi 002) in system prefs and Audio set up of OSX.

7. Launch Logic Pro and configure Audio hardware and Presto Problem solved...

7. Now get to work!!!

muso1
!