MN-500 activity

Last response: in Networking
May 27, 2004 1:00:59 PM

My MN-500 base station shows internet activity to my computer even when I am
not logged on. The network firewall is on and checks OK. Is there a way I
can determine what is being transferred?

More about : 500 activity

May 27, 2004 2:42:53 PM

What security protocols are you using? WEP, WPA, MAC
address? Or none?

Could be a warrior is serving you... getting free ISP off
you.

Anonymous
May 27, 2004 4:59:32 PM

If it is very occasionally, it may be Messenger, time
synchronization, or NetBIOS broadcasts.

It could also be spyware on the computer. Install the
free ZoneAlarm on the computer. It will alert you which
systems are accessing the Internet.

A simpler method is to enable logging on ICF. Open the
property dialog for the connection in Network
Connections. Go to the Advanced tab, check ICF and click
Advanced Settings. On the Security Logging tab check Log
successful connections. The data will be saved on the
file shown (typically C:\windows\pfirewall.log) -- this
approach has the disadvantage of blocking valid LAN
traffic between computers within your LAN (if you have
multiple computers)

An alternative is to run Commmand Prompt and enter
netstat -ano. This lists processes accessing the network.

Anonymous
May 28, 2004 1:10:50 PM

Thanks for the helpful comments. I do use 64-bit WEP security. Apparently
the activity I'm seeing is associated with status checking within my
network. I tried Zonealram and the netstat command. It was good
information.

!