Curious ... considering sprint

Last response: in Network Providers
January 15, 2005 5:23:22 AM

I'm considering switching to sprint.

One question that I can't seem to find an answer to:
Does Sprint have a web-site that allows me to change phones by entering the
new ESN # ? (Verizon has such a thing.)

If not, what's the procedure for doing this on Sprint, and is it fairly
painless?

Thanks in advance.

More about : curious sprint

Anonymous
January 15, 2005 11:54:11 AM

There is such a website at http://activate.sprintpcs.com and I used it
several times around 2001-2003, but it says "Make sure your old phone is
not a Sprint PCS Vision Phone", so I don't know it it's much use any
more now that most SPCS phones are PCS Vision.

I've also done an "ESN swap" by talking to a rep at *2 or 888-211-4727,
and it's fairly painless.

SinghaLvr wrote:
> I'm considering switching to sprint.
>
> One question that I can't seem to find an answer to:
> Does Sprint have a web-site that allows me to change phones by entering the
> new ESN # ? (Verizon has such a thing.)
>
> If not, what's the procedure for doing this on Sprint, and is it fairly
> painless?
>
> Thanks in advance.

January 15, 2005 2:46:22 PM

"SinghaLvr" <singhalvr@charter.net> wrote in message

> I'm considering switching to sprint.
>
> One question that I can't seem to find an answer to:
> Does Sprint have a web-site that allows me to change phones by entering
> the
> new ESN # ? (Verizon has such a thing.)
>
> If not, what's the procedure for doing this on Sprint, and is it fairly
> painless?
>
> Thanks in advance.

1 year ago, there was such a system at Sprint, so I assume it's still there.

Nicely designed set of pages, but I kept getting timeouts at various steps
during the process, so had to end up calling and having someone do it for
me. Last time, I had the local store do it. I was fortunate in that it was
a new store, not busy, and helpful people.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 2:54:02 PM

Whenever I bought a new phone (I've had five phones with them) all I had to
do was call them, give them my name and account number and within 5 minutes
of getting off the phone I'm connected. You don't even have to give them the
ESN, not sure on how they get it but they do get it.

"SinghaLvr" <singhalvr@charter.net> wrote in message

> I'm considering switching to sprint.
>
> One question that I can't seem to find an answer to:
> Does Sprint have a web-site that allows me to change phones by entering
the
> new ESN # ? (Verizon has such a thing.)
>
> If not, what's the procedure for doing this on Sprint, and is it fairly
> painless?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
January 15, 2005 2:54:03 PM

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 06:54:02 -0500, Scooterflex wrote
(in article <uv7Gd.10072$W34.8238@news.flashnewsgroups.com>):

> Whenever I bought a new phone (I've had five phones with them) all I had to
> do was call them, give them my name and account number and within 5 minutes
> of getting off the phone I'm connected. You don't even have to give them the
> ESN, not sure on how they get it but they do get it.

I have to assume that you purchased the phones off of them, so they probably
had the ESN logged somewhere.

My reason for asking is I tend to like to keep a cheepo phone for going to
the amusement park with the kids, or various other "high risk" activities
where I don't want to lose my more expensive piece of hardware. The ability
to switch back and forth is a nice thing.

(It's the one feature of GSM that I wish we had in CDMA ... the SIM card.)
:-)

Thanks for your response. It's most appreciated.
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 4:03:56 PM

In article <0001HW.BE0E8CC100006A8BF02845B0@nntp.charter.net>,
singhalvr@charter.net says...
> On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 06:54:02 -0500, Scooterflex wrote
> (in article <uv7Gd.10072$W34.8238@news.flashnewsgroups.com>):
>

> > Whenever I bought a new phone (I've had five phones with them) all I had to
> > do was call them, give them my name and account number and within 5 minutes
> > of getting off the phone I'm connected. You don't even have to give them the
> > ESN, not sure on how they get it but they do get it.
>
> I have to assume that you purchased the phones off of them, so they probably
> had the ESN logged somewhere.
>
> My reason for asking is I tend to like to keep a cheepo phone for going to
> the amusement park with the kids, or various other "high risk" activities
> where I don't want to lose my more expensive piece of hardware. The ability
> to switch back and forth is a nice thing.
>
> (It's the one feature of GSM that I wish we had in CDMA ... the SIM card.)
> :-)
>
> Thanks for your response. It's most appreciated.

I agree about the SIM card thought. There are some things going on in
Asia along these lines, but, frankly, I don't see Sprint ever
implementing it. Sprint does not want the hassle of trying to answer
questions about phones it has not tested and approved.

As for your question, I would recommend you do this the evening before
you intend it. Usually, voice services can switch over very rapidly,
but Sprint does not promise switchover more rapidly then 2 hours.

--
RØß
O/Siris

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 11:54:11 -0500, Frank Harris wrote
(in article <csbhpr$abl$1@ngspool-d02.news.aol.com>):

> There is such a website at http://activate.sprintpcs.com and I used it
> several times around 2001-2003, but it says "Make sure your old phone is
> not a Sprint PCS Vision Phone", so I don't know it it's much use any
> more now that most SPCS phones are PCS Vision.
>
> I've also done an "ESN swap" by talking to a rep at *2 or 888-211-4727,
> and it's fairly painless.

Thank you. I appreciate all of the feedback.
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 5:35:36 PM

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 14:03:56 -0500, O/Siris wrote
(in article <MPG.1c532517f37d4598989689@newsgroups.comcast.net>):

> I agree about the SIM card thought. There are some things going on in
> Asia along these lines, but, frankly, I don't see Sprint ever
> implementing it. Sprint does not want the hassle of trying to answer
> questions about phones it has not tested and approved.
>
> As for your question, I would recommend you do this the evening before
> you intend it. Usually, voice services can switch over very rapidly,
> but Sprint does not promise switchover more rapidly then 2 hours.

Good advice. I appreciate it. Thanks.

FWIW: Asia is absolutely light years ahead of the USA in cell phone
technology. Every time I travel I get a glimpse into the future.
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 8:07:36 PM

"O/Siris" <rØbjvargas@comcâst.nêt> wrote in message
"I agree about the SIM card thought. There are some things going on in
Asia along these lines, but, frankly, I don't see Sprint ever
implementing it. Sprint does not want the hassle of trying to answer
questions about phones it has not tested and approved."

It's certainly a good point, but do they have any evidence that 'SIM card
usage' is a significant problem for any of the carriers that are using GSM
phones (Cingular, T-Mobile, etc.)?
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 12:40:44 AM

SinghaLvr wrote:
> I'm considering switching to sprint.
>
> One question that I can't seem to find an answer to:
> Does Sprint have a web-site that allows me to change phones by entering the
> new ESN # ? (Verizon has such a thing.)

Yeah. I liked it when I was with Verizon. Sprint doesn't, but you just call *2
(customer service) and they put the new ESN in the database, walk you through
programming the new number into the phone, and bingo. You're done.

They say the change will take up to 12 hours to take effect - that's the
standard turnaround time they give for payments to credit and major changes to
your account to take effect. My experience is that it usually takes much less time.

One thing: the New For You 18-month instant rebate on phones is based on you
having a phone activated on your account for 18 months. Switch phones for any
reason, and the 18-month counter resets.

"In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 1:58:58 AM

In article <0001HW.BE0EDAB80012B048F05095B0@nntp.charter.net>,
singhalvr@charter.net says...
> Good advice. I appreciate it. Thanks.

Hope it helps. You're quite welcome.

> FWIW: Asia is absolutely light years ahead of the USA in cell phone
> technology. Every time I travel I get a glimpse into the future.

Asia never built out a landline network like we did. So there's not
quite the adoption of wireless like there is elsewhere.

It's a consequence of being a big nation, I suspect. We needed what was
available then. So far as I can determine, while it became important,
it never became quite as ubiquitous in the rest of the world as landline
phones did here.

So I guess that was just a long-winded way to say I agree. :)

--
RØß
O/Siris
A thing moderately good
is not so good as it ought to be.
Moderation in temper is always a virtue,
but moderation in principle is always a vice.
+Thomas Paine, "The Rights of Man", 1792+
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 2:02:48 AM

In article <JtKdnQ3l-OfGI3TcRVn-hA@comcast.com>,
JKolstad71HatesSpam@Yahoo.Com says...
> It's certainly a good point, but do they have any evidence that 'SIM card
> usage' is a significant problem for any of the carriers that are using GSM
> phones (Cingular, T-Mobile, etc.)?

No, but that's not exactly apples to apples. The GSM standard (if I
understand it correctly) also dictate how the phones interact with the
network. Like, for example, call forwarding. It's a menu function on
the GSM phones I've used. It's a dialing code on Sprint (and, I
believe, all other CDMA carriers). That's not a good illustration of
why CDMA "openness" might be more of a hassle. Just pointing out that
it's different between the two technologies.

Another thought: Sprint give out very little information about how the
data network is laid out, even though people are finding it out to one
degree or another. But keeping a tight rein on available models, that
information stays out of customers' eyesight.
--
RØß
O/Siris
A thing moderately good
is not so good as it ought to be.
Moderation in temper is always a virtue,
but moderation in principle is always a vice.
+Thomas Paine, "The Rights of Man", 1792+
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 3:23:36 AM

SOme phones I bought from Sprint but three of them were from Best Buy, they
didn't inform Sprint of the purchase.

> On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 06:54:02 -0500, Scooterflex wrote
> (in article <uv7Gd.10072$W34.8238@news.flashnewsgroups.com>):
>

> > Whenever I bought a new phone (I've had five phones with them) all I had
> > do was call them, give them my name and account number and within 5
minutes
> > of getting off the phone I'm connected. You don't even have to give them
the
> > ESN, not sure on how they get it but they do get it.
>
> I have to assume that you purchased the phones off of them, so they
probably
> had the ESN logged somewhere.
>
> My reason for asking is I tend to like to keep a cheepo phone for going to
> the amusement park with the kids, or various other "high risk" activities
> where I don't want to lose my more expensive piece of hardware. The
ability
> to switch back and forth is a nice thing.
>
> (It's the one feature of GSM that I wish we had in CDMA ... the SIM card.)
> :-)
>
> Thanks for your response. It's most appreciated.

Anonymous
January 16, 2005 3:23:37 AM

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 19:23:36 -0500, Scooterflex wrote
(in article <cuiGd.180$eJ2.152@fe07.usenetserver.com>):

> SOme phones I bought from Sprint but three of them were from Best Buy, they
> didn't inform Sprint of the purchase.

I assume in such a case that you had to give them the ESN number, correct?
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 11:46:14 AM

No, when you call they get the ESN number through the phone you're dialing
from.Techincally how it is done, I have no idea but they have it once you
call it in. I might have to do with the E911 technology but not sure. I've
never given an ESN to a rep when I activate a new phone.

> On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 19:23:36 -0500, Scooterflex wrote
> (in article <cuiGd.180$eJ2.152@fe07.usenetserver.com>):
>
> > SOme phones I bought from Sprint but three of them were from Best Buy,
they
> > didn't inform Sprint of the purchase.
>
> I assume in such a case that you had to give them the ESN number, correct?

Anonymous
January 16, 2005 1:16:34 PM

Scooterflex wrote:
> No, when you call they get the ESN number through the phone you're dialing
> from.Techincally how it is done, I have no idea but they have it once you
> call it in. I might have to do with the E911 technology but not sure. I've
> never given an ESN to a rep when I activate a new phone.

Ahhh... when you activate a new phone bought from Sprint, perhaps not. You will
have to give them the ESN when activating a Sprint phone bought from someone
else, though, because they have no record of the purchase.

A Best Buy phone would still have been purchased through Sprint's system, if
I'm not mistaken. Best Buy is a Sprint authorized retailer.

"In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 1:19:45 PM

SinghaLvr wrote:

> I appreciate the feedback.
> I'm trying to decide to switch to sprint or not .... I've got many pros and
> cons now .... Tough call. :-)

Yeah, it is. Verizon stopped working for me about a year ago and I rode out the
contract and then ported to Sprint, since (a) I already have a Sprint account
for my wife's phone, (b) this would allow us to have both phones billed on one
account and (c) I use the PCS to PCS feature to talk to her and a number of
friends and family members who are also on Sprint. Some of Verizon's policies
are more user-friendly than Sprint's corresponding policies. But for me
personally, Sprint is working better than Verizon (their coverage is good, but
they had brokenness in this area that didn't get fixed for close to a year).
It's really a tradeoff and you have to determine what's important to you.

How does Sprint work in your neighborhood? The most important thing, as you
probably know, should be asking which carrier works where you need them to work.

"In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
January 16, 2005 3:13:51 PM

> On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 14:03:56 -0500, O/Siris wrote
> (in article <MPG.1c532517f37d4598989689@newsgroups.comcast.net>):
>

>> I agree about the SIM card thought. There are some things going on in
>> Asia along these lines, but, frankly, I don't see Sprint ever
>> implementing it. Sprint does not want the hassle of trying to answer
>> questions about phones it has not tested and approved.
>>
>> As for your question, I would recommend you do this the evening before
>> you intend it. Usually, voice services can switch over very rapidly,
>> but Sprint does not promise switchover more rapidly then 2 hours.
>
> Good advice. I appreciate it. Thanks.
>
> FWIW: Asia is absolutely light years ahead of the USA in cell phone
> technology. Every time I travel I get a glimpse into the future.

Absolutely correct - I just spent 8 months in China and was amazed at how
much better cell tech is there. Standard, cheaper, better reception, more
handsets available...
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 4:33:23 PM

Marty Shapiro wrote:

> Are you sure your counter was reset?
>
> Last November, I replaced my phone with one I bought on eBay. I did the
> ESN swap online and my counter was NOT reset. I just checked again and
> Sprint still says I'm over the 18 month mark and eligible for the rebate.

Well, if I'd known I could do the ESN swap online, maybe I'd have done it
online. I'm told that changing to a new phone will reset you, and when we went
to get a new phone for my wife some time ago, we couldn't get the 18-month
instant rebate because she'd only had the phone for 12 months, and it was the
second Sprint phone we'd owned and we swapped ESNs over the phone with a CSR.

"In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 4:36:27 PM

O/Siris wrote:
> No, it's actually *not* that bad. In 2004, I've had an N400, a VM4500 I
> bought on EBay, a T608 I traded for, and today, I'm eligible for the New
> For You rebate based on being more than 18 months since the last NEW
> PHONE I purchased: the N400.
>
> The 18-month "clock" only resets if you buy a new phone and activate
> that.

My wife couldn't get a phone discount based on the fact that we'd swapped out
our original Samsung SCH-8500 for a Kyocera 2255 only about twelve months prior
to getting the new phone, and the Kyocera was a refurb from Radio Shack.

I just activated my brother-in-law's old LG 5350 after breaking my Samsung 660,
and was told it would reset me.

"In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 5:44:48 PM

In article <csd3sf$mlj$2@ratbert.glorb.com>, sjsobol@JustThe.net says...
> In fact, that just happened to me. I broke the phone I had for six months,
> reset my counter by activating a phone my brother-in-law used to use, and will
> reset my counter again when I permanently replace the phone.

That shouldn't have happened, Steve. Did you confirm this at the Sprint
Rebates web site?

http://www.sprintrebates.com

If it did, you can get this overridden by a *2 rep, because it's not
supposed to happen unless the phone you activate has never been used
before.

--
RØß
O/Siris
A thing moderately good
is not so good as it ought to be.
Moderation in temper is always a virtue,
but moderation in principle is always a vice.
+Thomas Paine, "The Rights of Man", 1792+
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 5:44:49 PM

O/Siris wrote:

>>In fact, that just happened to me. I broke the phone I had for six months,
>>reset my counter by activating a phone my brother-in-law used to use, and will
>>reset my counter again when I permanently replace the phone.
>
> That shouldn't have happened, Steve. Did you confirm this at the Sprint
> Rebates web site?
>
> http://www.sprintrebates.com
>
> If it did, you can get this overridden by a *2 rep, because it's not
> supposed to happen unless the phone you activate has never been used
> before.

"Our records indicate the PCS Phone associated with this PCS Phone Number is
less than 18 months old.

You qualify on 01/01/2006."

Well, Rob, I guess you're right, because that would be a day shy of eighteen
months from the purchase of the Samsung, which was activated on 6/2/2004. And
I've switched phones since then.

Whoops.

However, my wife's line qualifies in 8/2/2005. That's about a year after we
switched her to the Hitachi P-300, but I'm pretty sure it's about two years
after the purchase date of the previous phone. When was the N4Y program started?

Sprint CS reps need to be clearer about this.

"In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 7:56:13 PM

My experience and what I've been told matches Rob's info. I just looked
at www.sprintrebates.com and it shows I'll be eligible in 3/2005, 18
months from 9/2003, when I activated a brand-new A620. It doesn't count
the used A680 I activated in 7/2004.

January 16, 2005 9:48:41 PM

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 08:46:14 GMT, "Scooterflex"
<scooterflex@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"SinghaLvr" <singhalvr@charter.net> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 19:23:36 -0500, Scooterflex wrote
>> (in article <cuiGd.180$eJ2.152@fe07.usenetserver.com>):
>>
>> > SOme phones I bought from Sprint but three of them were from Best Buy,
>they
>> > didn't inform Sprint of the purchase.
>>
>> I assume in such a case that you had to give them the ESN number, correct?

>No, when you call they get the ESN number through the phone you're dialing
>from.Techincally how it is done, I have no idea but they have it once you
>call it in. I might have to do with the E911 technology but not sure. I've
>never given an ESN to a rep when I activate a new phone.

Simplified, for people like me, each time you press the Talk button to
start a new call your phone sends its ESN and MDN to the HLR, ahead of
the dialed digits. The HLR validates the ESN and MDN against your
account's service options and any hotline flags before passing the
dialed digits along for processing. This is standard ops, not related
to E911.
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 11:07:51 PM

"Marty Shapiro" <News@SiliconSPAMNOTRallye.org> wrote in message news:Xns95E0790CCCC59MartyN711BZ@216.168.3.44...

> Last November, I replaced my phone with one I bought on eBay. I did the
> ESN swap online and my counter was NOT reset. I just checked again and
> Sprint still says I'm over the 18 month mark and eligible for the rebate.

That's good news! Sounds like Sprint has finally come around to
realizing that the 18 month clock should only be reset when Sprint
pays for a rebate.

--
John Richards
Anonymous

In article <rQzGd.18128$by5.17817@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>, jr70
@blackhole.invalid says...
> That's good news! Sounds like Sprint has finally come around to
> realizing that the 18 month clock should only be reset when Sprint
> pays for a rebate.

Nope. It resets when you activate a brand new phone.

--
RØß
O/Siris
A thing moderately good
is not so good as it ought to be.
Moderation in temper is always a virtue,
but moderation in principle is always a vice.
+Thomas Paine, "The Rights of Man", 1792+
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 12:53:00 AM

Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in

> Marty Shapiro wrote:
>
>> Are you sure your counter was reset?
>>
>> Last November, I replaced my phone with one I bought on eBay. I did
>> the ESN swap online and my counter was NOT reset. I just checked
>> again and Sprint still says I'm over the 18 month mark and eligible
>> for the rebate.
>
> Well, if I'd known I could do the ESN swap online, maybe I'd have done
> it online. I'm told that changing to a new phone will reset you, and
> when we went to get a new phone for my wife some time ago, we couldn't
> get the 18-month instant rebate because she'd only had the phone for
> 12 months, and it was the second Sprint phone we'd owned and we
> swapped ESNs over the phone with a CSR.

By "new" phone do you mean a brand new phone (ie. one you bought directly
from Sprint or authorized seller like Radio Shack) or a previously used
phone that was "new" to you? The phone I purchased on eBay was a used
phone which had previously been activated on Sprint.

One thing I did notice was that the online activation specifically stated
that it could not be used with a vision phone. I do not have vision and
did not buy a vision phone. In fact, it was the rebate requirement that I
would need to activate vision if my new phone was vision capable that I
decided to buy a used on on eBay.

--
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT to email me)
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 12:53:01 AM

Marty Shapiro wrote:

> By "new" phone do you mean a brand new phone (ie. one you bought directly
> from Sprint or authorized seller like Radio Shack) or a previously used
> phone that was "new" to you? The phone I purchased on eBay was a used
> phone which had previously been activated on Sprint.

I mean previously activated but not by me. I have discovered that the used
phones I've activated haven't reset my anniversary date for the discount, which
is still eighteen months out from the time I activated my last
never-activated-before phone.

> One thing I did notice was that the online activation specifically stated
> that it could not be used with a vision phone. I do not have vision and
> did not buy a vision phone. In fact, it was the rebate requirement that I
> would need to activate vision if my new phone was vision capable that I
> decided to buy a used on on eBay.

I activated a Vision-capable phone that was replacing another Vision-capable phone.

"In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 1:57:10 AM

SinghaLvr wrote:
> I'm considering switching to sprint.
>
> One question that I can't seem to find an answer to:
> Does Sprint have a web-site that allows me to change phones by entering the
> new ESN # ? (Verizon has such a thing.)

At the moment, not really. A facility used to exists, but it works only
for phones that are not Vision capable (that's 3G data). Swaps on a
vision phone will not work off the website.

> If not, what's the procedure for doing this on Sprint, and is it fairly
> painless?

Actually, it is. On the unactivated phone, dial *2, select the option
to activate a phone, and when the CS rep answers (it's usually very
quick; activations get priority on the queue) tell them you're an
existing customer and are swapping out phones. All of the programming
is done over the air.

That said; are you planning on frequently swapping out phones? If
you're doing, say, more than one per month, then it probably won't be
very practical.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
January 17, 2005 2:01:35 AM

SinghaLvr wrote:

>>SOme phones I bought from Sprint but three of them were from Best Buy, they
>>didn't inform Sprint of the purchase.
>

> I assume in such a case that you had to give them the ESN number, correct?

No, you misundertand how the ESN number gets to Sprint. Sprint is never
"informed" per se that you purchased a particular phone; if they went by
this system, then all kinds of conflicts and problems would happen
whenever someone decides to buy a phone and eBay it, return a phone, or
buy a phone for someone else as a gift.

The ESN data comes in when you call *2 from the unactivated phone.
Since the phone is on and already registered with the netowkr, it's very
easy for the CS Rep to see the ESN of the phone you're currently on.
The netowkr also supports over-the-air programming, so as long as you're
on the phone you want activated, no numbers need to punched in manually;
it's all done through the data channel on the network.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
January 17, 2005 2:01:36 AM

Isaiah Beard wrote:

> The ESN data comes in when you call *2 from the unactivated phone. Since
> the phone is on and already registered with the netowkr, it's very easy
> for the CS Rep to see the ESN of the phone you're currently on. The
> netowkr also supports over-the-air programming, so as long as you're on
> the phone you want activated, no numbers need to punched in manually;
> it's all done through the data channel on the network.

Ah! That would explain my CSR's need for me to give her the ESN over the phone
- I was calling from a landline.

"In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 3:44:55 AM

In article <csemte$4sm$1@ratbert.glorb.com>, sjsobol@JustThe.net says...
> Sprint CS reps need to be clearer about this.

Although you mean something different, I think your words are actually
pointing to the problem, I suspect.

In order to be clear *to you* I think they first need to be clear
themselves. And they probably aren't.

--
I know no safe depository of the ultimate
powers of the society but the people themselves;

"Spider" <onionspider@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:h82mu01ht1t2tok9socbpnbiq9fmkcaojs@4ax.com...

> Simplified, for people like me, each time you press the Talk button to
> start a new call your phone sends its ESN and MDN to the HLR, ahead of
> the dialed digits. The HLR validates the ESN and MDN against your
> account's service options and any hotline flags before passing the
> dialed digits along for processing. This is standard ops, not related
> to E911.

Are you sure of all that?
I've heard that CDMA phones never transmit their ESN explicitly.
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 3:52:23 AM

John R. Copeland wrote:
> "Spider" <onionspider@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:h82mu01ht1t2tok9socbpnbiq9fmkcaojs@4ax.com...
>
>>Simplified, for people like me, each time you press the Talk button to
>>start a new call your phone sends its ESN and MDN to the HLR, ahead of
>>the dialed digits. The HLR validates the ESN and MDN against your
>>account's service options and any hotline flags before passing the
>>dialed digits along for processing. This is standard ops, not related
>>to E911.
>>

> Are you sure of all that?
> I've heard that CDMA phones never transmit their ESN explicitly.

Steven Den Beste says the same as JRC
http://denbeste.nu/cdmafaq/eavesdrp.shtml

January 17, 2005 3:52:23 AM

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 00:52:22 GMT, "John R. Copeland"
<jcopelan@columbus.rr.aol.com> wrote:

>"Spider" <onionspider@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:h82mu01ht1t2tok9socbpnbiq9fmkcaojs@4ax.com...
>>
>> Simplified, for people like me, each time you press the Talk button to
>> start a new call your phone sends its ESN and MDN to the HLR, ahead of
>> the dialed digits. The HLR validates the ESN and MDN against your
>> account's service options and any hotline flags before passing the
>> dialed digits along for processing. This is standard ops, not related
>> to E911.
>>
>Are you sure of all that?
>I've heard that CDMA phones never transmit their ESN explicitly.

No, it's just what I've been told. If Steven Den Beste says otherwise,
I'd definitely go with him. Sorry about that...
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 3:52:23 AM

John R. Copeland wrote:

>>Simplified, for people like me, each time you press the Talk button to
>>start a new call your phone sends its ESN and MDN to the HLR, ahead of
>>the dialed digits. The HLR validates the ESN and MDN against your
>>account's service options and any hotline flags before passing the
>>dialed digits along for processing. This is standard ops, not related
>>to E911.
>>

> Are you sure of all that?
> I've heard that CDMA phones never transmit their ESN explicitly.

Actually, they transmit an encrypted version of the ESN using a
public-key kind of arrangement. The ESN is scrambled using a
pseudorandom number that is known by the network and the phone but never
shared (hence the term pseudorandom: it changes every time, and APPEARS
unpredictable to an outsider, but as long as you have the key to encrypt
or decrypt, you'll know which number is up next). The MDN is similarly
scrambled, and so is the actually call itself (using what's called a
Long Code Mask).

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
January 17, 2005 6:52:12 AM

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 22:57:10 -0500, Isaiah Beard wrote
(in article <10umdsmnocmmhc5@corp.supernews.com>):

> Subject: Re: Curious ... considering sprint
> From: Isaiah Beard <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com>
> Date: Yesterday 10:57 PM
> Newsgroups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs
>
> SinghaLvr wrote:
>> I'm considering switching to sprint.
>>
>> One question that I can't seem to find an answer to:
>> Does Sprint have a web-site that allows me to change phones by entering the
>> new ESN # ? (Verizon has such a thing.)
>
> At the moment, not really. A facility used to exists, but it works only
> for phones that are not Vision capable (that's 3G data). Swaps on a
> vision phone will not work off the website.
>

>> If not, what's the procedure for doing this on Sprint, and is it fairly
>> painless?
>
> Actually, it is. On the unactivated phone, dial *2, select the option
> to activate a phone, and when the CS rep answers (it's usually very
> quick; activations get priority on the queue) tell them you're an
> existing customer and are swapping out phones. All of the programming
> is done over the air.
>
> That said; are you planning on frequently swapping out phones? If
> you're doing, say, more than one per month, then it probably won't be
> very practical.

Thanks.

I usually do a swap once every 2-3 months, but only for a day or so, then I

(I wish CDMA had something like a SIM card.) <grrr>
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 6:39:07 PM

I sure seem to remember calling on the new phones before and getting
them activated, I just read them the esn off the box. But the last
couple of times they wanted to call me on a land line so I could hang up
the new phone and activate/program it.
!