Same IP Addressed On All Devices Connected Through Router

EKuan

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013
My wireless router [Linksys WRT54G] has recently been dropping the connection simultaneously between two desktops. I have one desktop plugged into the router with an enthernet cord, but the other is running a wireless card. I recently got a Windows notice stating that there is an IP address conflict between my two computers. I check my IP addresses using myipaddress.com and both computers are sharing the same IP address. I also checked the connection with my smartphone and when I am connected to the internet through my wireless; it gives me the same IP address as well. So, every device I'm using through my router is giving the same IP address at myipaddress.com. I'm assuming this may be what is occasionally knocking my router offline, causing me to have to reset, but it will knock both computers offline within a few minutes of resetting.

I believe that all 3 devices should have different IP addresses when connecting to the internet, so is this a setting I need to adjust in the router, and if so where do I go, or can I try to assign one of my desktop computers a new IP address? I have no idea why my smartphone would be using the same IP address when connected through the router either. I'm going to guess that the problem is with a setting within my router. Any ideas on how to solve this issue? Thanks.

Solution
The IP from that site you went to shows your external IP that the ISP gives you, you will see that same IP even if you have 50 computers in use connected to the same router. The IP conflict message you got is not because of that, it's because there are two computers with the same IP on your internal network, the one that starts with 192.

Do you leave the computers on all the time? Does this happen when you go to Facebook each and every time, even after a reboot?

Test things with one system at a time, connected with a cable. If that works fine, add another one with a cable, if that works OK, it may be a wifi issue with the router. If it crashes with two systems, may also be a router issue. Check for new firmware for the router...
myipaddress.com will give you the external IP address provided to you by your ISP and that is why it is the same for every computer.

try this

While connected to the main router go Start then Run in XP - (Windows key plus R in Vista and Windows 7), then type in the following, including all the spaces:- cmd /k ipconfig /all -- then press Enter and from the black form that shows up, take a note of the numeric code beside the word "IPv4 address" -- usually something like 192.168.0.51. Type exit to close the black form.

EKuan

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013
It has been working since I posted this thread, but it was working fine for days and then one night it started to clog my router. After a little research I opened up the CMD and entered ipcong /release and the ipconfig /renew; this may have fixed the problem. After doing what you asked my ipv4 address on one computer is 192.168.1.101 and the other is 192.168.1.102; so it seems to have cleared itself up. I wasn't sure if my ip address from myipaddress. com should be the same or not so that was confusing me as well.

Could the problem occur just from turning the computers on and off (reestablishing ip addresses) , or will they keep these current ip addresses so there won't be conflicts in the future?

EKuan

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013
This is really weird. It happened again last night. My IP addresses are different on each computer; however, I'm starting to believe facebook is the culprit. I am able to use any other website from my office computer, but when I go to facebook it knocks both my computers offline and I have to reset my router. Could this be a virus of something quirky with facebook? Anyone else having this problem?

The IP from that site you went to shows your external IP that the ISP gives you, you will see that same IP even if you have 50 computers in use connected to the same router. The IP conflict message you got is not because of that, it's because there are two computers with the same IP on your internal network, the one that starts with 192.

Do you leave the computers on all the time? Does this happen when you go to Facebook each and every time, even after a reboot?

Test things with one system at a time, connected with a cable. If that works fine, add another one with a cable, if that works OK, it may be a wifi issue with the router. If it crashes with two systems, may also be a router issue. Check for new firmware for the router, there should be an internal update option from the config page.

Solution

EKuan

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013
Completely the firmware; I had no idea the router needed to be updated. I believe I've missed nearly 6-7 updates. Since the firmware update things are running much smoother. Thank you for the advice, problem solved, for now.