Visual Studio newbie

One of my aims once I've mastered VS is to create a 'village' game with an
interface (& villager windows) similar to Rollercoaster Tycoon(but using my
own coding, of course!). Does anyone have any tips they can offer, like a
good place to get a graphics utility, etc?
7 answers Last reply
More about visual studio newbie
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    "Aquila" <Aquila@Aquila.net> wrote in message
    > One of my aims once I've mastered VS is to create a 'village' game with an
    > interface (& villager windows) similar to Rollercoaster Tycoon(but using
    > my own coding, of course!). Does anyone have any tips they can offer, like
    > a good place to get a graphics utility, etc?

    Oh well, once you've mastered Visual Studio, you'll be an unstoppable force
    to be reckoned with. Then you could write your own program that can be
    programmed to actually write programs for you, including a graphics utility.
    But use your newfound power wisely, and not to look up women's skirts. But
    that's only possible with Visual Basic. C/C++ don't have that
    functionality.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    Goto a newsgroup that talks about C++

    "Aquila" <Aquila@Aquila.net> wrote in message
    > One of my aims once I've mastered VS is to create a 'village'
    > game with an interface (& villager windows) similar to
    > Rollercoaster Tycoon(but using my own coding, of course!). Does
    > anyone have any tips they can offer, like a good place to get a
    > graphics utility, etc?

  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    "Grackle" <nobody@lalaland.ca> wrote in message
    > "Aquila" <Aquila@Aquila.net> wrote in message
    >> One of my aims once I've mastered VS is to create a 'village' game with
    >> an interface (& villager windows) similar to Rollercoaster Tycoon(but
    >> using my own coding, of course!). Does anyone have any tips they can
    >> offer, like a good place to get a graphics utility, etc?
    >>

    > Oh well, once you've mastered Visual Studio, you'll be an unstoppable
    > force to be reckoned with. Then you could write your own program that can
    > be programmed to actually write programs for you, including a graphics
    > utility. But use your newfound power wisely, and not to look up women's
    > skirts. But that's only possible with Visual Basic. C/C++ don't have
    > that functionality.

    There's no need to be sarky. It doesn't do you any good.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    Aquila wrote:
    > "Grackle" <nobody@lalaland.ca> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Aquila" <Aquila@Aquila.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>One of my aims once I've mastered VS is to create a 'village' game with
    >>>an interface (& villager windows) similar to Rollercoaster Tycoon(but
    >>>using my own coding, of course!). Does anyone have any tips they can
    >>>offer, like a good place to get a graphics utility, etc?

    The comp.lang.* groups are a pretty good place to look. Where I have
    *, look to the languages that interest you. Hopefully whatever news
    service ya use carries those groups. If not, there's always google.

    As for utilities, check out sourceforge.net, lots of free stuff (though
    much of it isn't done yet, much is however). Also a good place to to
    get your feet wet, help someone out on some project they are doing
    w/whatever level of help you're currently able to provide. Lots of java
    and C/C++ stuff there. Other stuff too though, even php web games.

    The GIMP is a free, open source, graphics utility, 3d grahpics utility
    that is (read, steep learning curve), and might even be a sourceforge
    project (I don't remember). Has lots of 3rd party plugins and such to
    grab for it too if it doesn't already come w/some specific thing you need.

    Leo
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    > "Grackle" <nobody@lalaland.ca> wrote in message
    >> "Aquila" <Aquila@Aquila.net> wrote in message
    >>> One of my aims once I've mastered VS is to create a 'village' game with
    >>> an interface (& villager windows) similar to Rollercoaster Tycoon(but
    >>> using my own coding, of course!). Does anyone have any tips they can
    >>> offer, like a good place to get a graphics utility, etc?
    >>>

    >> Oh well, once you've mastered Visual Studio, you'll be an unstoppable
    >> force to be reckoned with. Then you could write your own program that
    >> can be programmed to actually write programs for you, including a
    >> graphics utility. But use your newfound power wisely, and not to look up
    >> women's skirts. But that's only possible with Visual Basic. C/C++ don't
    >> have that functionality.
    >>

    > There's no need to be sarky. It doesn't do you any good.

    I wasn't aware I was being sarky; but my excuse is that I don't know what
    sarky means. Oh wait, you mean sarcastic? Yeah, I was being sarcastic.
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    In article <5ZLKe.2885$9b6.675@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net>, Aquila@Aquila.net
    says...
    > One of my aims once I've mastered VS is to create a 'village' game with an
    > interface (& villager windows) similar to Rollercoaster Tycoon(but using my
    > own coding, of course!). Does anyone have any tips they can offer, like a
    > good place to get a graphics utility, etc?

    I use Paint Shop Pro for graphics.

    If your talking about in-game windows and dialogs, one option is to use
    MFC and build a sprite system of your own based on GDI. Or use
    DIBSections and custom software graphics. For 3D games it's more
    difficult - you'll need to explore OpenGL or DirectX, or else use some
    library, of which there are plenty of choices, none of them as nice as
    one would hope...

    - Gerry Quinn
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    Aquila wrote:
    > One of my aims once I've mastered VS is to create a 'village' game with an
    > interface (& villager windows) similar to Rollercoaster Tycoon(but using my
    > own coding, of course!). Does anyone have any tips they can offer, like a
    > good place to get a graphics utility, etc?

    Besides the obvious of learning VS and programming in C/C++, here are a
    few pointers:

    1) Check out game development sites:

    http://www.gamasutra.com/
    http://www.gamedev.net/

    2) Buy / Read some books:

    I suggest something with "beginner" in the title like:

    "Beginning C++ Game Programming" by Michael Dawson
    "Beginning Game Programming" by Michael Morrison

    (Note I havent read the above so cant vouch for these specific titles)

    Amazon has a whole subject category on Games programming... browse away

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/15375251/ref=dp_brlad_entry/102-6262597-8328911

    3) graphics libraries:

    There are lots of free ones.

    You could use DirectX, OpenGL, or a variety of engines with higher level
    functionality:

    http://www.cyberloonies.com/game-engines.html

    Finally, remember:

    Google is your friend.

    Good luck and enjoy the journey.

    E.

PC gaming Visual Studio Games Video Games