Advice for Adobe Audition PC configuration?

Hi, a total Mac-user here who needs to get, and set-up, a Windows
machine to run Adobe Audition. Application, radio/TV audio production,
typically only up to 8-track projects.

I am entirely out-of-the-loop on PCs vs. Macs. I could use some
specific advice on a reasonable PC configuration... soundcard
option(s), to accomodate running Audition in the latest version of
Windows. Sorry for duplication of any previous posts on this, but
I've decided Audition will best serve my needs as far as learning-curve
and simplicity of its interface... I just don't "Do" Windows at all so
need to start with the right hardware and a decent card configuration
that's as cost-efficient as possible.

I realize the subjective nature of the question but it's mostly about
the
PC requirements in this scenario.

Many THanks

Mike E
19 answers Last reply
More about advice adobe audition configuration

    <mike44455@aol.com> wrote in message

    > I just don't "Do"
    > Windows at all so I
    > need to start with the right hardware and a decent card configuration
    > that's as cost-efficient as possible.

    If you're into cost-effiency you can probabaly do quite well with an
    off-the-shelf lower end Dell PC, and an audio interface by M-Audio. The most
    popular better audio interface around is probably the M-Audio Audiophile
    24/96. The recently upgraded M-Audio Audiophile 24/192 with balanced inputs
    and outputs looks very nice.

    One major performance boost for running Audition is adding a second hard
    drive for a work space drive. This allows you to split the I/Os for most I/O
    intensive operations across 2 drives for a major speed-up at minimal cost.

    Recently, mike44455@aol.com <mike44455@aol.com> posted:

    > Hi, a total Mac-user here who needs to get, and set-up, a Windows
    > machine to run Adobe Audition. Application, radio/TV audio
    > production, typically only up to 8-track projects.

    [...]
    > I realize the subjective nature of the question but it's mostly about
    > the PC requirements in this scenario.

    It would be difficult to buy a current-day PC incapable of running
    Audition well. I suspect that may have influenced Adobe's decision to buy
    Syntrillium, the creator of the program (then called CoolEdit Pro). IMO,
    the larger consideration is the "sound card", as you need to get one that
    has good drivers *other* than ASIO. I'd recommend that you look over the
    RME product line, as their cards are top-notch and their support is second
    to none. I have been using one of their cards for over a year without a
    single problem.

    www.rme-audio.de

    Best regards,

    --
    Neil Gould
    --------------------------------------

    A total PC user here that has used every version of Cooledit through current
    Audition in most every way it could be done.
    Have played with the others too.

    Audio is narrow. It is not video. You got room for 8 track with any newer
    machine.

    The biggest question is, "Do you want ot play back some multiple channels
    while recording new ones at the same time?".
    If not, then soundblaster generic is fine.
    If so, then look at the RME.

    Rich

    On 14 Mar 2005 09:01:15 -0800, mike44455@aol.com wrote:

    >I am entirely out-of-the-loop on PCs vs. Macs. I could use some
    >specific advice on a reasonable PC configuration... soundcard
    >option(s), to accomodate running Audition in the latest version of
    >Windows.

    I'll ditto what Neal says. It doesn't require a whole lot of
    horsepower to run 8 tracks of Adobe Audition. Just about any PC will
    do, including laptops.

    Ditto Neal's thoughts on RME products. Very reliable and good sound
    quality. Good support, and a great user forum.

    Mark

    Appreciate the input - If i go shopping for a local custom-configured
    PC that
    meets the base criteria, any particular price advantage one way or the
    other
    over say a firewire or USB- external soundcard (say, a multichannel
    interface
    with breakout.... Otherwise, are most current PCs pretty much
    universally
    capable of installing a pro sound card (have an expansion slot to do
    that) or
    is that a special stipulation i have to make.
    Again, pardon my PC ignorance but i am totally in the realm of the PCI
    slot
    Mac era with everything i've used to date.. Guess i actually need to
    know what
    to specify if i want to go with an internal soundcard vs an external...
    mainly
    whatever's price-efficient and still pro level for broadcast quality
    D/A conversion

    Thanks again for any further elaboration,
    Mike

    mike44455@aol.com wrote:
    > Appreciate the input - If i go shopping for a local custom-configured
    > PC that
    > meets the base criteria, any particular price advantage one way or
    the
    > other

    Any reason why you are moving away from the Mac ?
    or have to use Audition ?
    There's lot's of great software for Mac like
    ProTools, Logic, Nuendo, Digital Perfromer ...

    > over say a firewire or USB- external soundcard (say, a multichannel
    > interface
    > with breakout....

    Firewire.
    I am still leary of USB for anything audio,
    and certainly for more than stereo.

    > Otherwise, are most current PCs pretty much
    > universally
    > capable of installing a pro sound card (have an expansion slot to
    do
    > that) or
    > is that a special stipulation i have to make.
    > Again, pardon my PC ignorance but i am totally in the realm of the
    PCI
    > slot
    > Mac era with everything i've used to date.. Guess i actually need
    > know what
    > to specify if i want to go with an internal soundcard vs an
    external...
    > mainly
    > whatever's price-efficient and still pro level for broadcast quality
    > D/A conversion

    PCI is still the common standard for both PC and Mac.
    I normally like to have as many available slots as
    possible but having Firewire I/O reduces the demand
    for open slots somewhat.

    > Thanks again for any further elaboration,
    > Mike

    If you need to meet a spec for PC (rather than a
    Mac) or Audition (vs whatever on a Mac) go with
    the enrty level Dell SERVER with XP PRO, and they
    have the Plextor burner option, Firewire and add
    something like the RME firewire audio interface.

    good luck
    rd

    Neil,

    What i'm moving from is a legacy line-up of standalone DAW's...

    I'm still content with my Mackie 24 analog mixer. It's currently
    configured
    for a D/A conversion thru a Lynx L22 card into a dual 1.25M G4 with
    the 8-track outputs either a Fostex Foundation or, Audicy, routed into
    the board, and the board's stereo out entering the Mac via the Lynx
    analog ins, wherein I mixdown in Bias Peak.

    I would prefer the same "hardwired" sort of arrangement, i.e., 8-in
    channels, 'dedicated' to an 8 track audio computer app, to essentially
    'replicate the function of what the standalone DAW was doing, i.e.,
    8 analog in from the mixer to the DAW.... Not really seeking 'cheap'
    per se, just cost-efficient and not more than i realistically need, and
    something that has good specs for bc.quality stuff of course. Thanx!

    Mike

    RD Jones wrote:
    > mike44455@aol.com wrote:
    > >

    > Any reason why you are moving away from the Mac ?
    > or have to use Audition ?
    > There's lot's of great software for Mac like
    > ProTools, Logic, Nuendo, Digital Perfromer ...

    RD, i'll just say, it is with high reluctance that I am going to
    Audition
    over the simplicity and preference of Mac.... I find Audition a bit
    less
    daunting, and more preferential, from an interface and user-friendly
    design standpoint.. than other apps for broadcast production...(and
    they of course didn't do a Mac version since Apple went into
    'competition'
    with Adobe on several products - or at least that's my
    perception...otherwise i'd definitely stay with Mac for this particular

    application..

    Elsewise, I will certainly remain Mac-based for all other
    projects - and probably keep my standalone DAW's up and running as long
    as I can til i HAVE to move to Audition but need to get the wheels
    rolling on a back-up system in the meantime...

    I will happily run ProToolsLE/Free or whatever if i can simplify a
    template
    to the scaled down level that i can work with it without all the
    needless
    features for my purposes. I may still take that route if i can find
    time to
    work on it... but i find Audition to be more 'basic' in alot of Good
    ways
    for my purposes...hence the notion to just buy it and try it.

    Regards,

    Mike

    Lorin David Schultz wrote:
    > <mike44455@aol.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > Hi, a total Mac-user here who needs to get, and set-up, a Windows
    > > machine to run Adobe Audition. Application, radio/TV audio
    > > production, typically only up to 8-track projects.
    >

    > What are you going to be doing with this rig?

    Maintaining my schedule of primarily V.O. but a fairly steady amount of
    fully mixed spots (radio, TV audio) and soundtracks for multimedia

    > i.e. How is audio getting into the machine? How many channels at a
    > time?

    Preferably would like to have 8 discrete channels...have been running a
    Mackie 24 mixer for years preceded by a big Ramsa... Mackie is quiet
    enough... haven't seen the need to go to a digital mixer...or the
    desire
    to learn the complexities of same... Currently as per additional notes
    elsewhere in this string, using a Lynx L22 analog in for D/A conversion
    (from a Finalizer for straight-in record of voice-only tracks) and
    otherwise,
    my mixer stereo outs are feeding the Lynx by way of a Waves L2
    (hardware version) Ultramaximizer.

    > How will audio leave the machine? Analog? Digital? Files? Stereo
    or
    > multiple channels?

    Well, anymore it's often just created into .wav/aif or mp3 and
    transmitted
    via internet to clients... otherwise, CD burn. I have a monitor feed
    out of
    the Lynx now, just going back into the mixer for playback.

    Typically

    > What's it connecting to (if anything)?
    >

    > What kind of projects will you be doing?
    >

    > I'm willing to help (I'm a TV sound guy) but there are too many
    > variables to offer you anything useful or meaningful without knowing
    > more about the application.

    That'd be great... If you have a chance to drop me a direct email for
    more
    specifics, i'd love to chat. I'm at -- mike44455@aol.com

    Thanks!

    Mike

    > --
    > "It CAN'T be too loud... some of the red lights aren't even on yet!"
    > - Lorin David Schultz
    > in the control room
    > making even bad news sound good
    >
    > (Remove spamblock to reply)

    Hi again,

    In article <1110871376.534201.99920@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> mike44455@aol.com writes:

    > Appreciate the input - If i go shopping for a local custom-configured
    > PC that
    > meets the base criteria, any particular price advantage one way or the
    > other
    > over say a firewire or USB- external soundcard (say, a multichannel
    > interface
    > with breakout....

    A modern motherboard should accommodate both Firewire 400 (at least)
    and USB 2.0. Forget the audio hardware built on to the motherboard.
    It's OK for PC sounds and phone-over-the-net but not for serious music
    recording. And if a computer dealer has a sound card for sale, chances
    are it will be a SoundBlaster. You can (and should) do better. There's
    nothing wrong with a decent audio card that's inside the computer but
    there are also plenty of outboard USB or Firewire audio interfaces.

    Unless you go to someone who specializes in building audio computers
    and has accounts with distributors that sell real audio hardware, you
    won't get those devices from the place that builds your computer. You
    could certainly buy a Lynx, RME, Echo, M-Audio, etc. card, give it to
    the builder, and tell him to install it. Or you could install it
    yourself (most modern computer cases are easy to open) or choose an
    external interface that connects to the computer via Firewire or USB.

    On 14 Mar 2005 09:01:15 -0800, mike44455@aol.com wrote:

    >Hi, a total Mac-user here who needs to get, and set-up, a Windows
    >machine to run Adobe Audition. Application, radio/TV audio production,
    >typically only up to 8-track projects.
    >
    >I am entirely out-of-the-loop on PCs vs. Macs. I could use some
    >specific advice on a reasonable PC configuration... soundcard
    >option(s), to accomodate running Audition in the latest version of
    >Windows. Sorry for duplication of any previous posts on this, but
    >I've decided Audition will best serve my needs as far as learning-curve
    >and simplicity of its interface... I just don't "Do" Windows at all so
    >need to start with the right hardware and a decent card configuration
    >that's as cost-efficient as possible.

    Any modern PC will do the job with ease. As a Mac user, you may find
    the choice available rather daunting! But you'll like the prices :-)

    You wouldn't choose one of Mac's "fashion" machines for this job.
    Equally, don't choose a PC with maximum "features" for minimum cost.
    PCs are so cheap nowadays, I don't know why anyone bothers to make
    cheap-and-nasty machines. But there are still some around.
    Dell are usually reliable. Or just get your local 14-year-old
    enthusiast to slot something together from standard parts. You'll be
    very pleasantly surprised how little it will cost.

    Your main choice concerns the sound card.

    How are you getting audio INTO the project? If you're recording live
    material, you'll need a quality soundcard.

    How are you getting audio OUT of the project? If you're playing
    analogue audio to an external device you'll need a quality soundcard.

    If you're importing wave (or other format) files and exporting a wav
    file of the result, the sound card is only needed for monitoring.
    You don't need to be so fussy.

    If you're recording live, how many channels will you want to record
    simultaneously? More than one stereo pair? Will you be synching
    to previously-recorded material?

    Two further thoughts.

    This sounds like a professional project. Choose Adobe Audition if it
    is the best tool for the job. Not because you think it will be easy
    to learn

    And, for goodness sake, don't go into this with an anti-PC attitude!
    These machines can smell your fear, you know :-)

    <mike44455@aol.com> wrote:

    > Hi, a total Mac-user here who needs to get, and set-up, a Windows
    > machine to run Adobe Audition. Application, radio/TV audio
    > production, typically only up to 8-track projects.

    What are you going to be doing with this rig?

    i.e. How is audio getting into the machine? How many channels at a
    time?

    How will audio leave the machine? Analog? Digital? Files? Stereo or
    multiple channels?

    What's it connecting to (if anything)?

    What kind of projects will you be doing?

    I'm willing to help (I'm a TV sound guy) but there are too many
    variables to offer you anything useful or meaningful without knowing
    more about the application.

    - Lorin David Schultz
    in the control room
    making even bad news sound good

    (Remove spamblock to reply)

    Recently, mike44455@aol.com <mike44455@aol.com> posted:

    > Neil,
    >
    > What i'm moving from is a legacy line-up of standalone DAW's...
    >
    > I'm still content with my Mackie 24 analog mixer. It's currently
    > configured
    > for a D/A conversion thru a Lynx L22 card into a dual 1.25M G4 with
    > the 8-track outputs either a Fostex Foundation or, Audicy, routed into
    > the board, and the board's stereo out entering the Mac via the Lynx
    > analog ins, wherein I mixdown in Bias Peak.
    >
    > I would prefer the same "hardwired" sort of arrangement, i.e., 8-in
    > channels, 'dedicated' to an 8 track audio computer app, to essentially
    > 'replicate the function of what the standalone DAW was doing, i.e.,
    > 8 analog in from the mixer to the DAW.... Not really seeking
    > 'cheap' per se, just cost-efficient and not more than i realistically
    > need, and something that has good specs for bc.quality stuff of
    > course. Thanx!

    You could pop that Lynx L22 card into the PC for use with Audition. Or,
    buy another one if you want to keep your existing DAW in service.

    Regards,

    --
    Neil Gould
    --------------------------------------

    Hi Mike.

    I'd prefer to keep this discussion on the group, as it allows others to
    ingest it and add their own input and/or alternative viewpoints.

    Your requirements don't seem all that daunting. I'll tell you how *I*
    would handle it, but with this important disclaimer:

    Personal bias alert! Some of my preferences are based on having had
    success with something once or twice so I refuse to mess with a working
    formula. Some are based on something not working once or twice, and my
    refusing to delve into a solution when using something else solved the
    problem. Scientific method and defendable conclusions may present from
    time to time, but don't assume that's always how I made a choice. That
    said...

    I recommend building your own machine. It's stupidly simple to do and
    you'll get a system that offers the best of everything for the same
    price as a box that compromises many of your preferences.

    I prefer Intel processors with Intel chipsets. AMD processors work just
    fine, and both SiS and Via make fine chipsets. I've just found
    occasional conflicts with non-Intel chips so I don't use 'em.

    I do NOT recommend Intel motherboards though. I've twice found things
    they just won't do, and have had device conflicts with them. I've never
    had such a problem with an Asus board. Others may be great too, but I
    can vouch for Asus personally. I recently built a machine around an
    Asus P4P800-E Deluxe and have had no problems.

    ATI video cards seem to work reliably. Don't spend a pile of money on
    an exotic card -- you don't need it. Get something with a decent amount
    of RAM and a reasonably fast GPU. I used a 9200.

    I haven't found a lot of difference between hard-drive brands. You want
    an 8MB cache, 7200RPM rotation, and 8ms or better seek time. You need
    two: One for the OS and application(s), and another, separate drive for
    audio. The Asus motherboard mentioned above will let you use SATA
    drives so you won't run into problems with program access or optical
    drive activity bogging down your audio drive.

    Get as much RAM as you can, at least 1GB, 2GB would be better. Nothing
    will make more difference to perceived speed or do more to reduce
    crashes than lots of RAM. I've recently heard two stories of problems
    caused by defective RAM, so buy a name brand. Don't cheap out here.

    For a CPU choose any Intel P4. There's a point up to which performance
    increases equal or exceed price increases from model to model. After
    that point the price increases become disproportional to the performance
    increase. Try to buy right at that "line." 3.0GHz with a 800MHz front
    side bus (FSB) was the point of diminishing returns last time I checked,
    but see if that's still true.

    Plextor is a good choice for an optical drive.

    Antec makes good cases that are easy to work on, that include
    high-quality, reliable power supplies that also happen to be fairly
    quiet.

    Windows XP Home Edition is fine. The Pro Edition includes features that
    I don't think you need for audio (mostly networking stuff -- someone
    correct me if I've overlooked something). Buying an OEM version of the
    software when and where you buy your computer components will save you a
    c-note or two.

    Audio interfaces are much too broad a subject to cover here. Suffice to
    say that Firewire I/Os are plentiful. Check the archives on this group
    for loads of discussions. Consider M-Audio, Echo, MOTU, Metric-Halo,
    RME and Frontier Designs (the last being one of my all-time favourite
    companies). All make devices that are perfect for 8ch broadcast
    production. I'd avoid USB2 if you're going to do eight channels at
    once. Peak transfer rates are similar to Firewire, but Firewire has
    better *sustained* data transfer, and that's what matters to you.

    NOW...

    after saying all that, and being one with absolutely NO preference
    between XP and OSX (six of one, half-a-dozen of the other as far as I'm
    concerned), I gotta wonder why you're doing this to yourself?

    Your approach is correct: choose the software you want to use and let
    that dictate your choice of hardware. It's your "choice" I question!
    <g>

    It is now so cheap to get into a native Pro Tools system that I have to
    wonder why you wouldn't? It's the de facto "standard" for broadcast
    *and* music production, so you'll have complete compatibility with other
    facilities. You can open OMF files (a serious consideration when doing
    post or any kind of audio-for-video). You can take your sessions to any
    stage for surround work. As you get comfortable and want to do more,
    Pro Tools will be more capable and less restrictive. Pro Tools is much
    faster (built-in file management utilities and better file system that
    doesn't require lengthy "save" cycles). By learning to use it you'll be
    developing a marketable skill. Finally, you can run Pro Tools on a Mac.
    Or Windows XP. Or both.

    A Digi 002R system is what, a grand? Add another grand for the DV
    Toolkit software and you're good to go.

    I know simpler software looks less intimidating, but ultimately it's
    more restricting. Besides, Pro Tools really is simple to operate. It
    just *seems* daunting out of the gate. The beauty of it is that "basic"
    operation is available immediately without knowing very much. You don't
    have to understand what all the fancy features are or what they do. You
    can ignore them and get right to work. When I got started with it I
    just paid an instructor from one of the Pro Tools schools to spend a
    couple hours walking me through the basics, and that was enough. I took
    another newbie with me, so we split the cost of the instructor!

    I hope some of this helps. Let me know if I've missed anything or if
    you have any questions.

    Lorin David Schultz wrote:
    > Hi Mike.
    >
    >(major edit)
    >
    > after saying all that, and being one with absolutely NO preference
    > between XP and OSX (six of one, half-a-dozen of the other as far as
    I'm
    > concerned), I gotta wonder why you're doing this to yourself?
    >
    > Your approach is correct: choose the software you want to use and let

    > that dictate your choice of hardware. It's your "choice" I question!

    > <g>

    Lorin, first thanks for a great primer on the PC setup, well reasoned
    and logical indeed. To address your question, my answer firstly is,
    it is a GREAT question, and my ultimate desire to remain in the Mac
    realm has not by any means been ruled out, only stifled by the
    industry's failure to give me a simple to work with interface which, in
    my experience (as expressed on other threads on here much to the
    disdain of Windows devotees) has never rivaled the simplicity of my
    Fostex FOundation standalone in terms of just straight-forward,
    just-like-analogue-but-on-a-computer, user-friendliness and ease of
    interaction.

    I have waited for years for something akin to, like, the 360 systems
    short-cut editor, only with 8 tracks... or for another analogy, Peak
    2.6
    with 8 channel I/O instead of two....

    I simply do not want/need all of the extaneous,
    music-production-oriented
    features and additives that Pro Tools requires me to essentially scale
    back to simplify the layout and show me eight waveform-edit channel
    display, a simple record transport and mixer display. I would honestly
    prefer to pursue some earlier offers from users who said they would
    provide me with tutorial help and templates to accomplish this level
    of basic-ness in ProTools so I don't have to switch from my preferred
    platform, Mac - to the (IMHO) cumbersome and needlessly complex
    EMULATION-of same (Windows) to simply use what seems a simpler
    app like Audition (only because they will not provide a Mac version of
    course).

    I know Mr. Payne will summarily dismiss my dislike for WIndows by
    suggesting i'm approaching this OS with a predisposed 'bad attitude'
    and will get a bad experience as a result. I have used both and by far
    find MAC SUPERIOR...Particularly pre OSX. Call me a traditionalist.
    That's
    okay. It goes to each person's individual work style and i even have
    been exploring reverting to Session 8 to find the degree of unlayered
    b.s. that i prefer on my "palate" of tools. I pretty much won out a
    thread
    arguing against the over-featured digital mixers versus a simple
    version that didn't require tweezers and a magnifying glass to operate
    with all of the dual-function switchable faders et.al that go along
    with those, but
    that's another discussion, albeit related.. Hence i stick with my
    analog
    board and use a good A/D card.

    "But I digress"

    Thanks again for the input

    Mike

    Recently, Lorin David Schultz <Lorin@DAMNSPAM!v5v.ca> posted:

    > Hi Mike.
    >
    > I'd prefer to keep this discussion on the group, as it allows others
    > to ingest it and add their own input and/or alternative viewpoints.

    Good idea. ;-)

    So, for some alternative viewpoints...! ;-)

    > I recommend building your own machine. It's stupidly simple to do and
    > you'll get a system that offers the best of everything for the same
    > price as a box that compromises many of your preferences.

    This is true only for a certain level of machine. If you want a system
    that is reliable and essentially silent, you need to know a bit more about
    the components, and that can get into some details that may be beyond the
    amatuer.

    > I prefer Intel processors with Intel chipsets. AMD processors work
    > just fine, and both SiS and Via make fine chipsets. I've just found
    > occasional conflicts with non-Intel chips so I don't use 'em.

    I agree.

    > I do NOT recommend Intel motherboards though. I've twice found things
    > they just won't do, and have had device conflicts with them.

    I'm not sure which "things" you are referring to, but my current DAW is
    happily running on an Intel mobo with nary a glitch of any kind. I have
    had problems using ATI video cards with Intel chipsets, but those turned
    out to be with ATI's drivers. I much prefer Matrox for the quality of
    their drivers. So, I'd say that if one is set on using an ATI video card,
    it may be better to avoid certain motherboards/chipsets, but, I can't say
    which ones. More reading to do before jumping in!

    > ATI video cards seem to work reliably. Don't spend a pile of money on
    > an exotic card -- you don't need it.

    I agree that you don't need an exotic card. Also, many of the current
    motherboards have built-in video that would be more than adequate for a
    DAW. If silence is important, then it's important to avoid any video card
    with a fan on it.

    > I haven't found a lot of difference between hard-drive brands.

    I have, as well as differences between different models of the same brand.
    Some drives require that you install their software to get their full
    rated disc space. Avoid those like the plague. These kinds of details can
    make the difference in stability and performance in a media production
    system.

    > Get as much RAM as you can, at least 1GB, 2GB would be better.

    For Audition? 1GB would be *more* than enough.

    > Plextor is a good choice for an optical drive.

    Agreed.

    > Antec makes good cases that are easy to work on, that include
    > high-quality, reliable power supplies that also happen to be fairly
    > quiet.

    Somewhat agree. There are quieter power supplies available. I also don't
    care for plastic or aluminum cases, as it can be difficult to eliminate
    structural rattles and buzzes.

    > Windows XP Home Edition is fine.

    And, be sure to read up on XP tweaks that improve performance for
    audio/media work.

    In short, I don't agree that it is "stupidly simple" to build a *good*
    DAW. One becomes responsible for making many decisions that, for example,
    Apple takes care of; one merely chooses a suitable model, and the details
    are worked out for them, even if not optimally compared to a well-designed
    Intel/AMD DAW. I think it's risky to suggest otherwise given the plethora
    of options available in the Intel world.

    [...]
    > Your approach is correct: choose the software you want to use and let
    > that dictate your choice of hardware. It's your "choice" I question!
    > <g>
    >
    > It is now so cheap to get into a native Pro Tools system that I have
    > to wonder why you wouldn't?

    Perhaps because one prefers the Audition/CoolEdit paradigm to the ProTools
    paradigm? I know *I* do. ;-)

    Also, if one is working with Premiere, the integration of using an Adobe
    solution is better than cobbling together two different systems.

    > [...] As you get comfortable and want to do more, Pro Tools
    > will be more capable and less restrictive.

    [...]
    > I know simpler software looks less intimidating, but ultimately it's
    > more restricting.

    I find the Audition tool set to be far more capable than those that
    ProTools employs. Audition is by no means restrictive, and only appears to
    be simple on its surface. Its more sophisticated filters and processing
    tools will take a bit of time to learn, and until then, the simpler tools
    can suffice. The point is, one needn't buy "add-ons" to be up and running
    or to go as far into audio processing as one wishes.

    These preferences are pretty subjective. I presumed that the decision of
    which application to use was legitimate, since this is not Mike's first
    DAW implementation, and a decision to jump from one platform to another is
    not something one does casually. If so, then IMO the "best help" is to
    help avoid the pitfalls in making the jump.

    Best regards,

    --
    Neil Gould
    --------------------------------------

    On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 13:30:51 GMT, Neil Gould <neil@myplaceofwork.com>
    wrote:

    >> ATI video cards seem to work reliably. Don't spend a pile of money on
    >> an exotic card -- you don't need it.
    >>
    > I agree that you don't need an exotic card. Also, many of the current
    > motherboards have built-in video that would be more than adequate for a
    > DAW. If silence is important, then it's important to avoid any video card
    > with a fan on it.

    One other thought - I'd suggest a dual monitor configuration, especially
    if you are using Audition's multitrack view. That way you can have the
    track display and the transport controls on one monitor with the mixer and
    effects windows on another. You don't need an expensive graphics card to
    do this - I'm using a cheap n-Vidia dual head card which works fine.

    >> Get as much RAM as you can, at least 1GB, 2GB would be better.
    >>
    > For Audition? 1GB would be *more* than enough.

    Audition isn't memory hungry - it will work happily with 128MB although it
    will be smoother with more.

    >> Plextor is a good choice for an optical drive.
    >>
    > Agreed.

    Yes - go for a Plextor Premium, PX712 or PX716 with Plextools software so
    that you can be sure that any discs you send out are checked for errors.

    > Perhaps because one prefers the Audition/CoolEdit paradigm to the
    > ProTools
    > paradigm? I know *I* do. ;-)
    >
    > Also, if one is working with Premiere, the integration of using an Adobe
    > solution is better than cobbling together two different systems.

    One hint - even if you aren't working with Premiere you should install the
    Premier demo because it adds some useful VST effects that can be used in
    Audition (but not in other manufacturer's software).

    > I find the Audition tool set to be far more capable than those that
    > ProTools employs. Audition is by no means restrictive, and only appears
    > be simple on its surface. Its more sophisticated filters and processing
    > tools will take a bit of time to learn, and until then, the simpler tools
    > can suffice. The point is, one needn't buy "add-ons" to be up and running
    > or to go as far into audio processing as one wishes.

    Adobe aren't always good at showing off what Audition can do. For example,
    they've had convolution based reverbs for ages which can accept impulses
    from other software but it isn't obvious how to do this.

    I've been using Cool Edit Pro and Audition for years now and I'm still
    finding new ways of working.

    Cheers.

    James.

Pro Audio Configuration Adobe Audio