W2K rebooting on its own

olrac

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2001
Has anyone had their machine reboot in a continous loop? For some reason when I install W2K as soon as I start to install my programs this happens. I'll reboot and when it begins to load the programs, screen goes black and reboots on its own, over and over. It will boot up in safe mode but I cannot pinpoint the problem because it will do it at different stages of the install. It does the same with XP so I think it has something to do with the kernel of the operatinmg systems. Does not do it in 98SE or Me. I run a DFI AD72, Athlon XP1600+, 512 MB DDR ram, 40 gig 7200 Maxtor, TNT agp 32mb graphics, soundblaster live, burner, dvd etc. I do not think its a hardware problem. The chipset is a Via KT266. I would really like to run 2000 or XP but I can't until I figure this one out. Any suggestions?

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What driver version do you have loaded for the video card? There have been some problems with running newer drivers from nVidia (23.11 and higher), with older video cards like the TNT series. Some people have been forced to shift back to the 12.4x drivers.

<A HREF="http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=64" target="_new">Staying out of the Loop</A>

You've got a nice system ... might be time to upgrade the video card, as well.

Be sure your RAM voltage is 2.5v.

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Tantalizing Tantric Toy</font color=green></A>
<font color=red>Second Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=15942" target="_new"><font color=green>Toey's Dynamite DDR Duron</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Some push the envelope. Some just lick it. And some can't find the flap."</font color=purple>

olrac

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2001
Actually, I'm using the native driver that is in W2K for my video card. When I was running XP, It installed its native driver for the nvidia card and I went to update the driver at the Microsoft website to an updated driver for my card. BIG MISTAKE. All heck broke loose and I rolled back the driver amd it was O.K for a while then the rebooting thing began. Weird or what? You should not have told me to upgrade my video card cause now you put it in my head and once again I'm forced to spend more money. LOL!

olrac

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2001
Actually, now that you mention it, I changed video cards from a S3 savage 2000 64 MB/tv out because the TV out did not work in XP nor is it supported by S3 graphics so I swapped video cards with my wife's computer and threw in the Nvidia. The same system did not do this with the S3 card. It must be the graphics card or driver.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
With VIA chipset this is not an unusual thing, sorry, if you want to run Win2k, get a server chipset, which is Intel; at least for Windows OS as far as I know.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
running win2k pro on a kt7a (via chipset) no probs at all, as are quite a few people I know, also running 2k server on another box which has an uptime now of several months, also via chipset

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by CALV on 05/06/02 05:54 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
running win2k server on a kt7a (via chipset) no probs (as well), as are quite a few people I know( but kt7 did it though...)

I did not say "usual" thing, I have said "not unusual" - see the difference?

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...