sprint roaming

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
January 17, 2005 11:45:36 PM

hi all,

just signed up for the $5 free and clear america roaming package. at the end
of the call, they said to call *2 to update the phone. i did that and the
call said they were updating the phone, please wait.

once done, i looked through my menu, for network setting, roam, and expected
to see my nokia 6016i set to AUTOMATIC, but it was still at sprint. is this
the correct setting for that package?

More about : sprint roaming

Anonymous
January 17, 2005 11:45:37 PM

pb wrote:

> hi all,
>
> just signed up for the $5 free and clear america roaming package. at the end
> of the call, they said to call *2 to update the phone. i did that and the
> call said they were updating the phone, please wait.
>
> once done, i looked through my menu, for network setting, roam, and expected
> to see my nokia 6016i set to AUTOMATIC, but it was still at sprint. is this
> the correct setting for that package?

The "update" was for your PRL (Preferred Roaming List).

If you're going to roam, leave the setting on "automatic."

Notan
January 19, 2005 6:55:30 PM

so in order to access the towers for the F&CA roaming package, the phone
*should* be set at AUTOMATIC?

> pb wrote:
>>
>> hi all,
>>
>> just signed up for the $5 free and clear america roaming package. at the
>> end
>> of the call, they said to call *2 to update the phone. i did that and the
>> call said they were updating the phone, please wait.
>>
>> once done, i looked through my menu, for network setting, roam, and
>> expected
>> to see my nokia 6016i set to AUTOMATIC, but it was still at sprint. is
>> this
>> the correct setting for that package?
>
> The "update" was for your PRL (Preferred Roaming List).
>
> If you're going to roam, leave the setting on "automatic."
>
> Notan
Related resources
January 19, 2005 6:56:19 PM

so in order to access the towers for the F&CA roaming package, the phone
*should* be set at AUTOMATIC?

> pb wrote:
>>
>> hi all,
>>
>> just signed up for the $5 free and clear america roaming package. at the
>> end
>> of the call, they said to call *2 to update the phone. i did that and the
>> call said they were updating the phone, please wait.
>>
>> once done, i looked through my menu, for network setting, roam, and
>> expected
>> to see my nokia 6016i set to AUTOMATIC, but it was still at sprint. is
>> this
>> the correct setting for that package?
>
> The "update" was for your PRL (Preferred Roaming List).
>
> If you're going to roam, leave the setting on "automatic."
>
> Notan
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 6:56:20 PM

pb wrote:
> so in order to access the towers for the F&CA roaming package, the phone
> *should* be set at AUTOMATIC?

If you set it to Sprint Only, your phone will refuse to roam and if you're not
in range of a Sprint tower, the phone will not acquire a signal.

For roaming to work, you need to set the phone to automatic. (Some phones have
automatic *and* "analog roaming" options, but Sprint now has digital roaming
agreements too, so in such a case, you still want to set the phone to automatic.)

"In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 1:22:42 AM

"pb" <whoz@centuryNOSPAMtel.net> wrote in message
> so in order to access the towers for the F&CA roaming package, the phone
> *should* be set at AUTOMATIC?

Absolutely ... :)  That way, when you are roaming, you can use your F&CA
option ...

Bob
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 7:04:21 PM

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 15:56:19 -0600, "pb" <whoz@centuryNOSPAMtel.net>
wrote:

>so in order to access the towers for the F&CA roaming package, the phone
>*should* be set at AUTOMATIC?

Yes. But there are times when you might wish to set your phone
to access SPCS only.

For example, I live in New York City. There's really no time
that I need to roam during the course of my work day. Roaming uses up
power more readily than sticking to a digital signal. In addition, I
don't have a roaming package, so if I happen to go into a subway and
lose signal, as I emerge, the phone will go through an exploratory
moment where it is in roaming mode. If I receive a call at that
moment, it will be charged as roaming - something I'd want to avoid.

So unless I think I need to roam, I keep the phone set to SPCS
only. It's more efficient for my usage.

DGI
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 9:46:10 PM

It is almost not worth it except for the most rudimentary phone contact.
Every time I am in ROAM it sounds like WWII and I continue to lose signals.

scannell
cols. OH

"pb" <whoz@centuryNOSPAMtel.net> wrote in message
> so in order to access the towers for the F&CA roaming package, the phone
> *should* be set at AUTOMATIC?
>

> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
>> pb wrote:
>>>
>>> hi all,
>>>
>>> just signed up for the $5 free and clear america roaming package. at the
>>> end
>>> of the call, they said to call *2 to update the phone. i did that and
>>> the
>>> call said they were updating the phone, please wait.
>>>
>>> once done, i looked through my menu, for network setting, roam, and
>>> expected
>>> to see my nokia 6016i set to AUTOMATIC, but it was still at sprint. is
>>> this
>>> the correct setting for that package?
>>
>> The "update" was for your PRL (Preferred Roaming List).
>>
>> If you're going to roam, leave the setting on "automatic."
>>
>> Notan

Anonymous
January 28, 2005 9:46:11 PM

scannell wrote:
> It is almost not worth it except for the most rudimentary phone contact.
> Every time I am in ROAM it sounds like WWII and I continue to lose signals.

That's changing, albeit slowly, as Sprint adopts more CDMA roaming agreements.

But as I understand from people who've used Sprint in Columbus... Sprint
doesn't run the best network in that particular area. I've talked to some other
people who have had a lot of trouble placing calls on Sprint's network in
CMH... so perhaps the best solution is to switch and not have to worry about
roaming at all...

"In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 6:34:36 PM

The same for my family. Everywhere around here that has a verizon
signal also has a Sprint PCS signal. With my new phone I was even able
to reach a tower 10-12 miles away from my parents house. Their house is
not on Sprint PCS' coverage map. My brother's verizon phone roams on
alltel I think, at my parent's house.
February 1, 2005 11:21:30 PM

i have to say, being a long time at&t digital one rate customer, with this
roaming feature, my recent travels in SW missouri and the sprint phone had
service where my CINGULAR phone didn't. blah, good riddance. i'll probably
be porting next month.

very happy with sprint so far.

"Jerome Zelinske" <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> The same for my family. Everywhere around here that has a verizon signal
> also has a Sprint PCS signal. With my new phone I was even able to reach
> a tower 10-12 miles away from my parents house. Their house is not on
> Sprint PCS' coverage map. My brother's verizon phone roams on alltel I
> think, at my parent's house.
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 2:54:48 PM

PS It was a Sprint PCS signal that I was getting at my parent's house,
so now we don't have to take our phones out of Sprint PCS only when we
are there.
!