ADAT to Protools LE transfer??

Last response: in Home Audio
March 15, 2005 4:18:59 AM

I have a Dual 2GHZ G5 running 10.3.5 and Protools 6.4. Is it possible
to transfer 8 tracks of audio from an ADAT (at the same time) to
Protools (or some other app) via the optical input on my Mac?

Norm!!

More about : adat protools transfer

March 15, 2005 4:19:00 AM

Norm!! wrote:
> I have a Dual 2GHZ G5 running 10.3.5 and Protools 6.4. Is it possible
> to transfer 8 tracks of audio from an ADAT (at the same time) to
> Protools (or some other app) via the optical input on my Mac?
>
> Norm!!

Do you have a Digi-002 or an M-Box?

--
Eric

Practice Your Mixing Skills
www.Raw-Tracks.com
www.Mad-Host.com
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 11:55:07 AM

The optical input of your Mac is not 8-channel ADAT, it's 2-channels
only (and ProTools won't record from it). You need a Digi001 or
Digi002R to transfer 8-channels of ADAT to ProTools. In fact, you
cannot transfer anything directly into ProTools without using the
ProTools hardware.

Cheers,
Trevor de Clercq

Norm!! wrote:
> I have a Dual 2GHZ G5 running 10.3.5 and Protools 6.4. Is it possible
> to transfer 8 tracks of audio from an ADAT (at the same time) to
> Protools (or some other app) via the optical input on my Mac?
>
> Norm!!
March 15, 2005 1:13:11 PM

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 20:18:59 -0500, Norm!! wrote
(in article <140320051818590569%Thebigonion@plunger.adj>):

> I have a Dual 2GHZ G5 running 10.3.5 and Protools 6.4. Is it possible
> to transfer 8 tracks of audio from an ADAT (at the same time) to
> Protools (or some other app) via the optical input on my Mac?
>
> Norm!!

I'm going to guess NO, but I haven't tried it. I think the G5 optical is
specified as S/PDIF and not configurable as ADAT format. These days, though
there may be a way to do it.

I do know that you can transfer ADAT to a Digi 001 or Digi 002 optical in.

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 9:15:46 PM

Ty Ford wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 20:18:59 -0500, Norm!! wrote
> (in article <140320051818590569%Thebigonion@plunger.adj>):
>

>>I have a Dual 2GHZ G5 running 10.3.5 and Protools 6.4. Is it possible
>>to transfer 8 tracks of audio from an ADAT (at the same time) to
>>Protools (or some other app) via the optical input on my Mac?
>>
>>Norm!!
>

> I'm going to guess NO, but I haven't tried it. I think the G5 optical is
> specified as S/PDIF and not configurable as ADAT format. These days, though
> there may be a way to do it.
>
> I do know that you can transfer ADAT to a Digi 001 or Digi 002 optical in.
>

> Ty Ford
>
> -- Ty Ford's equipment reviews, audio samples, rates and other audiocentric
> stuff are at www.tyford.com

I didn't think LE would run without the hardware, exception being PT
Free. Wouldn't he have to have some Digi hardware to get 6.4 to run?

Shows my lack of knowledge :>)

Wayne
March 15, 2005 9:32:22 PM

Wayne wrote:

> I didn't think LE would run without the hardware, exception being PT
> Free. Wouldn't he have to have some Digi hardware to get 6.4 to run?

You are correct, Wayne. With the exception of ProTools-Free, you cannot
run ProTools software without ProTools Hardware.

--
Eric

Practice Your Mixing Skills
www.Raw-Tracks.com
www.Mad-Host.com
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 9:29:10 AM

In article <rtIZd.10582$RM2.1702@read1.cgocable.net>, Zigakly
<zigakly@nospam.cx> wrote:

> "Norm!!" <Thebigonion@plunger.adj> wrote in message
> > I have a Dual 2GHZ G5 running 10.3.5 and Protools 6.4. Is it possible
> > to transfer 8 tracks of audio from an ADAT (at the same time) to
> > Protools (or some other app) via the optical input on my Mac?
> >
> > Norm!!
>
> No, the hardware does not support the ADAT optical format, only S/PDIF.
> Save yourself the hassle and just pay someone to do a transfer from the ADAT
> tapes to AIFF files on a DVD-R. I sat on some DA-88 tapes for a long time
> because there wasn't a convenient way for me to get them on my HD, then once
> I finally asked around I found a studio willing to do it for $25/tape.
>
> And never use digital tape ever again...

Thanks to all that responded. I forgot to mention that all I have is
an M-box.

I knew that I wouldn't be able to record the files directly in
Protools, I really intended to use another app to record them, then
transfer the files to Protools IF my optical-in would support it. You
kind folks verified my concern.
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 2:29:53 PM

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 19:15:46 -0500, Wayne wrote
(in article <39pc5iF6398kuU1@individual.net>):

> Ty Ford wrote:
>> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 20:18:59 -0500, Norm!! wrote
>> (in article <140320051818590569%Thebigonion@plunger.adj>):
>>

>>> I have a Dual 2GHZ G5 running 10.3.5 and Protools 6.4. Is it possible
>>> to transfer 8 tracks of audio from an ADAT (at the same time) to
>>> Protools (or some other app) via the optical input on my Mac?
>>>
>>> Norm!!
>>

>> I'm going to guess NO, but I haven't tried it. I think the G5 optical is
>> specified as S/PDIF and not configurable as ADAT format. These days, though
>> there may be a way to do it.
>>
>> I do know that you can transfer ADAT to a Digi 001 or Digi 002 optical in.
>>

>> Ty Ford
>>
>> -- Ty Ford's equipment reviews, audio samples, rates and other audiocentric
>> stuff are at www.tyford.com
>>
> I didn't think LE would run without the hardware, exception being PT
> Free. Wouldn't he have to have some Digi hardware to get 6.4 to run?
>
> Shows my lack of knowledge :>)
>
> Wayne

Wayne,

So far as I know you are correct.

Ty

stuff are at www.tyford.com
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 2:32:24 PM

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 16:31:37 -0500, Zigakly wrote
(in article <rtIZd.10582$RM2.1702@read1.cgocable.net>):

> "Norm!!" <Thebigonion@plunger.adj> wrote in message
>> I have a Dual 2GHZ G5 running 10.3.5 and Protools 6.4. Is it possible
>> to transfer 8 tracks of audio from an ADAT (at the same time) to
>> Protools (or some other app) via the optical input on my Mac?
>>
>> Norm!!
>
> No, the hardware does not support the ADAT optical format, only S/PDIF.
> Save yourself the hassle and just pay someone to do a transfer from the ADAT
> tapes to AIFF files on a DVD-R. I sat on some DA-88 tapes for a long time
> because there wasn't a convenient way for me to get them on my HD, then once
> I finally asked around I found a studio willing to do it for $25/tape.
>
> And never use digital tape ever again...

Right. I do that here. You bring the ADAT and tapes. We interface. We
transfer. Name the files and can export them as a Pro Tools Session or as
..wav files (or whatever) to a DVD-R so you can import them into other non
linear systems.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 9:05:11 AM

in article rtIZd.10582$RM2.1702@read1.cgocable.net, Zigakly at
zigakly@nospam.cx wrote on 3/21/05 1:31 PM:

> "Norm!!" <Thebigonion@plunger.adj> wrote in message
>> I have a Dual 2GHZ G5 running 10.3.5 and Protools 6.4. Is it possible
>> to transfer 8 tracks of audio from an ADAT (at the same time) to
>> Protools (or some other app) via the optical input on my Mac?
>>
>> Norm!!
>
> No, the hardware does not support the ADAT optical format, only S/PDIF.
> Save yourself the hassle and just pay someone to do a transfer from the ADAT
> tapes to AIFF files on a DVD-R. I sat on some DA-88 tapes for a long time
> because there wasn't a convenient way for me to get them on my HD, then once
> I finally asked around I found a studio willing to do it for $25/tape.

If he is using the Digi 02R it has ADAT litepipe in... I don't know about
the Mbox version though.

-jeff
!