Sign in with
Your question

Does Windows 7 Have a Mic Volume Issue?

Last response: in Windows 7
June 22, 2012 5:48:06 PM

Hey guys, I recently put together my custom system and the audio is fine, but im having problems with the Mic volume. No body can hear me.

I have an ASrock 970 Extreme 3 Mobo, Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit.

I have the volume on 100, boost on 30, and have been messing with all the settings.
The green bar in sound options only goes up 1-2 bars when I SCREAM into it. This is very frustrating, and I have noticed a frequent amount of threads pertaining to this issue, please let me know what I should do.

P.S Its Realtek Audio and I have uninstalled and reinstalled drivers!

I have also ran the install for the drivers in Vista Compatibility mode, Unplugged the front Audio, messed with all the settings, and have done a windows repair install.

Extra info:

I was running an ASUS M-Evo Board and it had different parts of it go bad, so I replaced that with this new one and I had an OEM copy of windows installed, and I didnt need to reinstall windows at all, and the computer runs perfect besides the mic volume.

More about : windows mic volume issue

a c 256 $ Windows 7
June 22, 2012 5:54:05 PM

Win 7 does not have a problem with mic volume. BTW, what kind of mic are you using? Also, are you using the front panel or rear panel connector?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 22, 2012 5:56:02 PM

Have you tried the rear audio jacks? Have you checked for a mic mute button on your headset cord? Is the mic listed in the mixer, and is its volume slider up [like everything else] ?
m
l
Related resources
June 22, 2012 5:59:53 PM

Well from google thousands of people are having this problem :( 

I have used a standard Ipod headset and a $300 Bose Headset, neither work. both work fine on my mac.

I have tried both back and front panels. I have checked for a mute button, everything is on. The mic is detected and the slider and boost are all the way up
m
l
a c 256 $ Windows 7
June 22, 2012 6:04:50 PM

The problem isn't one attributed to Win 7. The mic driver is about as bog standard as it gets. This issue is usually one associated with the mic itself or the sound/audio drivers (not Win 7, but those provided by the vendor/OEM).

So, you mention headsets and not mics. What model of Bose are you referring to?
m
l
June 22, 2012 6:08:16 PM

They are 2 in 1 headsets like they have a Microphone and a headset for audio linked to 1 jack. They work fine on my mac. Even if I plug them straight into the mic port it picks up on nothing. and the bose are QC 15's.

Ive tried installing the drivers a few times, even in vista compatibility mode
m
l
a c 256 $ Windows 7
June 22, 2012 6:28:40 PM

Saw this on the Bose website:

Why are there two cables included with QC15 headphones?
These interchangeable cables enhance the versatility of QC15 headphones. The cable with inline microphone and remote enables calling and audio control with select Apple® products. The standard cable is for listening only and works with iPhone® and most other mobile phones, in-flight entertainment systems, MP3 and CD players—any device with a 3.5 mm headphone jack.

It shouldn't matter that you are using a PC. That being said, have you tried another basic mic (other than the Apple one)?
m
l
June 22, 2012 6:57:06 PM

Nope, only those 2, but they both work fine on the mac, so I guess ill give it a go with a PC headset when I get home.
m
l
a c 256 $ Windows 7
June 22, 2012 8:26:17 PM

It really shouldn't matter as long as the headset jacks are plugged in properly and the sound device working properly. Still, if you can borrow another mic/headset for troubleshooting, it would be a good data point for comparison.
m
l
June 22, 2012 9:00:48 PM

COLGeek said:
It really shouldn't matter as long as the headset jacks are plugged in properly and the sound device working properly. Still, if you can borrow another mic/headset for troubleshooting, it would be a good data point for comparison.

Alright will do, And if that does not work what kind of problem am I looking at here? The last ***** ASUS Board I had the Audio had terrrrrrible problems especially the front. And the ethernet went out im done with AS products.

If all that doesn't work is the only other option to RMA?
m
l
a c 256 $ Windows 7
June 23, 2012 2:22:31 AM

Sounds like you have the mic gain cranked up all the way already as well as proper/updated drivers. Have you tried the mic with no gain at all?
m
l
November 14, 2013 6:40:22 PM

Click on the Microsoft "start" icon in the bottom left tray.
Type in "microphone" in the search box.
Click "Manage Audio Devices.

in the "Sounds" Pop up Window:

1. Playback
2. Recording
3. Sound
4. Communications

Select "Recording"
Then, Highlight, and double click the name of the microphone.
The Transmit Properties box will pop up.

in the "Transmit Properties" Pop up Window:

1. general
2 listen
3. Levels
4. Advanced

select "Levels"

then click the "unmute microphone icon."
You will immediately hear your voice on your microphone.
And now you can adjust the volume.
m
l
!