Taking the click fest out of real time strategy

Real-time strategy used to be a click fest, a mouse fight. Not
anymore. With the addition of speech recognition to scripting, I can
play a 5 1/2 hour game of Age of Empires Conquerors with no sweat.

If you can do it and you enjoy real-time strategy without the click
fest, you're in for a major treat.

All you need is a fast PC, Dragon NaturallySpeaking Professional
Edition, noiseless microphone sound input, and a clear speaking
voice.

I pretty much have Age of Empires Conquerors automated to
satisfaction. If you have DNS Pro and would like my scripts, just
ask.

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 14:04:54 GMT, John Doe wrote:

> Real-time strategy used to be a click fest, a mouse fight.

Not if you play "slower" RTS games like Kohan 2. Kings of War. I never
liked the "Dune"-type of RTS, and I don't think I would enjoy them any more
if I had to quickly speak instead of quickly click. :)

M.

John Doe wrote:
> Real-time strategy used to be a click fest, a mouse fight. Not
> anymore. With the addition of speech recognition to scripting, I can
> play a 5 1/2 hour game of Age of Empires Conquerors with no sweat.
>
> If you can do it and you enjoy real-time strategy without the click
> fest, you're in for a major treat.
>
> All you need is a fast PC, Dragon NaturallySpeaking Professional
> Edition, noiseless microphone sound input, and a clear speaking
> voice.
>
> I pretty much have Age of Empires Conquerors automated to
> satisfaction. If you have DNS Pro and would like my scripts, just
> ask.

LShaping! Where you been? We missed you.

Knight37

Michael Vondung <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 14:04:54 GMT, John Doe wrote:

>> Real-time strategy used to be a click fest, a mouse fight.

> Not if you play "slower" RTS games like Kohan 2. Kings of War.

That's fine, but I like to play pickup games any time day or
night. So it more or less has to be popular. The click fests are
popular. Everybody likes to play on fast with the maximum
population limit.

> I never liked the "Dune"-type of RTS, and I don't think I would
> enjoy them any more if I had to quickly speak instead of quickly
> click. :)

I had the pleasure of learning real-time strategy on WarCraft II
before I realized mouse speed was the most important factor
(assuming you want to compete). A lot of people enjoyed playing
"Nowhere to Run, Nowhere to Hide" back then. Build order was
nearly important as mouse speed because it was such a small map.
Two versus two team play was awesome and unforgettable.

You do have to speak clearly, but scripting eliminates the quick
speaking part. Voice commands help enable scripting by giving the
user a practically unlimited, easy to remember supply of one or
two syllable activators.

These are my favorites. The first line is what you say, the second
line is a description of what happens. If you have experience with
Age of Empires, comments are invited.

"start"
builds initial start up buildings

"15 see"
press C 15 times, for queuing workers

"15 tea"
press T 15 times, for queuing trade carts

"range" "barracks" "stables" or "workshops"
get idle worker, return, place four of that type building around the
current pointer position

"do <1-32>"
put civilian or military group to work, deselect specified number of
units so that that number of units is placed on the object and the
rest of the group can be redirected

"worker <1-32>"
gather civilian units into one group, at the same time sending them
to a point on the minimap, very useful

"more" plus "can" "cat" "champ" "cross" "elite" "foot" "horse"
"monk" "spear" "treb" or "work"
go to appropriate building, queue preprogrammed number of named
units, return, and set rally point at current pointer position, for
mass producing units just like the mouse slingers do

"1" "2" "3" "4" "5" or "6"
double click to select units, and then set any one of six different
stance/formation

"pack"
double clicks at pointer position and packs selected trebuchets

"farm 8"
place eight farms and a mill, that is done with a group of eight or
more workers already selected, then you say "do 8" with the pointer
positioned over the mill and eight workers are put on the mill while
the remaining selected workers can be redirected

"bring"
get idle worker, return, put to work at pointer position, get
another idle worker, and return

They all work flawlessly, no matter how much lag.