Sign in with
Your question

Formatting Hard Drive

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 23, 2002 3:34:32 AM

Since when has it been hard to format a hard drive. My girlfriend has XP on her hard drive and she wants me to format it but for some reason my Windows 98 disk will not perform the format. It gives me a "Formatting Hard Drive Error" or something. Oh, and I ran scandisk and repaired something wrong with the hard disk and now the volume label is somethin really messed up with a capital "R" and then some messed up looking characters that sort of looks like an "i" with two dots on top. So since the volume label is messed up it means I can't delete the partition using fdisk. OY! Someone help me get this stupid drive formatted. That's all I want

Why do I use AMD? Because I like money!

More about : formatting hard drive

April 23, 2002 3:37:17 AM

You don't need fdisk with XP, just insert the disc and boot up off of it and follow the directions.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>
April 23, 2002 3:39:05 AM

Ah yes, that would work great, but guess what, I do not have the full version of XP, only the upgrade so there are no boot options. That's why I'm attempting to get 98 on there. Thanks for helping though.

Why do I use AMD? Because I like money!
Related resources
April 23, 2002 1:25:26 PM

Go get a disk utility from the hard drive manufacturer, expand it on a floppy disk, and zero out the hard drive with a low level format. Then you'll be able to repartition the drive and format normally.

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Tantalizing Tantric Toy</font color=green></A>
<font color=red>Second Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=15942" target="_new"><font color=green>Toey's Dynamite DDR Duron</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Some push the envelope. Some just lick it. And some can't find the flap."</font color=purple>
April 26, 2002 4:05:39 AM

TOEJAM is right
April 26, 2002 5:35:45 AM

Again!

:smile:

:smile: <b><font color=blue> I took an I.Q. test today...It came back negative.</font color=blue></b> :lol: 
April 29, 2002 6:44:33 PM

The XP upgrade CD is bootable... at least it booted on the one machine I used it on...

But yes, Toe is right... might be the only way of fixing it now.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
!