Europa Universalis: vassalization?

Here's a question about vassalization in Europa Universalis:

If I understand correctly, if you have an alliance, the same religion
(and royal marriage?), and relationship is +190 or +200, you can
propose to your ally to become your vassal. The problem is, they
never, ever accept. Why? How can I increase the chances of successful
vassalization? Why can't I (as Turkey) make all of north Africa my
vassals, while Oman can? It's starting to look like an AI-players-only
feature.

mcv.
--
"Serenity is a very personal work with political resonance and a
heartfelt message about the human condition and stuff blowing up."

"mcv" <mcvmcv@xs4all.nl> wrote in message

> Here's a question about vassalization in Europa Universalis:
>
> If I understand correctly, if you have an alliance, the same religion
> (and royal marriage?), and relationship is +190 or +200, you can
> propose to your ally to become your vassal. The problem is, they
> never, ever accept. Why? How can I increase the chances of successful
> vassalization? Why can't I (as Turkey) make all of north Africa my
> vassals, while Oman can? It's starting to look like an AI-players-only
> feature.

Quote from an old sisypigs message.

"You have to have relations at 190, an alliance, and a royal marriage.
You can only offer a royal marriage if you've got compatible
religions. You can only offer an alliance if you're the alliance
leader for your alliance and they are not in any alliance and are not
at war with anyone in your alliance. Once you do have a nation at
relations of 190, RM, and alliance, vassalization is not guaranteed so
you'll probably have to do a lot of bumping up relations and offering
vassilization again."

FWIW It most certainly isn't just a cp (computer player) option, but it's
never a sure thing.

dfs

David Short <David.no.Short@wright.spam.edu.please> wrote:
> "mcv" <mcvmcv@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
>>
>> Here's a question about vassalization in Europa Universalis:
>>
>> If I understand correctly, if you have an alliance, the same religion
>> (and royal marriage?), and relationship is +190 or +200, you can
>> propose to your ally to become your vassal. The problem is, they
>> never, ever accept. Why? How can I increase the chances of successful
>> vassalization? Why can't I (as Turkey) make all of north Africa my
>> vassals, while Oman can? It's starting to look like an AI-players-only
>> feature.
>
> Quote from an old sisypigs message.
>
> "You have to have relations at 190, an alliance, and a royal marriage.
> You can only offer a royal marriage if you've got compatible
> religions. You can only offer an alliance if you're the alliance
> leader for your alliance and they are not in any alliance and are not
> at war with anyone in your alliance. Once you do have a nation at
> relations of 190, RM, and alliance, vassalization is not guaranteed so
> you'll probably have to do a lot of bumping up relations and offering
> vassilization again."

Ah yes, that's what it was. Still, as Turkey I have an alliance and
royal marriage with both Crimea and Astrakhan and had relations of
190+ (ocassionally even 200) with them. I've offered them both
vassalization several times, and each time they refused. How often
do I have to offer it before they join? Is there anything I can do
to make the offer more attractive?

As minor turkish states, they belong in the greater Turkish empire,
and I'd much rather see them join voluntarily than forcibly.

> FWIW It most certainly isn't just a cp (computer player) option, but it's
> never a sure thing.

Still, Oman managed to get all of north Africa as vassal (I don't think
it started with them as vassals), while I didn't succeed with repeated
attempts with Crimea and Astrakhan.

That reminds me of another question: although I previously had an
excellent relationship with Oman, they recently chose the side of
Iraq, and I ended up fighting Oman. So if I conquer Oman, do his
vassals become my vassals? Or are do they become independent again?

mcv.
--

> David Short <David.no.Short@wright.spam.edu.please> wrote:
>> FWIW It most certainly isn't just a cp (computer player) option, but it's
>> never a sure thing.
>
> Still, Oman managed to get all of north Africa as vassal (I don't think
> it started with them as vassals), while I didn't succeed with repeated
> attempts with Crimea and Astrakhan.
>
> That reminds me of another question: although I previously had an
> excellent relationship with Oman, they recently chose the side of
> Iraq, and I ended up fighting Oman. So if I conquer Oman, do his
> vassals become my vassals? Or are do they become independent again?

I'm sorry to do this, but it's been a long time since I touched EU and I
never was an expert.At one time cspigs would have known the answers to these
types of questions in a second.

One of the great things about the Paradox games is the loyal (rabid) fanbase
that spurs them on to making better games. A quick google of "Paradox
Europa" leads to an active web based message board with people who are
likely to actually know the answers to your queries. I think that's really a
better source for you than my weak guesses.

dfs

mcv <mcvmcv@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>Ah yes, that's what it was. Still, as Turkey I have an alliance and
>royal marriage with both Crimea and Astrakhan and had relations of
>190+ (ocassionally even 200) with them. I've offered them both
>vassalization several times, and each time they refused. How often
>do I have to offer it before they join? Is there anything I can do
>to make the offer more attractive?

I believe stability is a factor. It also helps if you're much bigger
than them. Astrakhan probably counts as being bigger than it looks
because of its centre of trade. Basically I find there's times in
the game where vassalizing and peacefully annexing countries is nearly
impossible and other times when it's easy.

>As minor turkish states, they belong in the greater Turkish empire,
>and I'd much rather see them join voluntarily than forcibly.

I'd just conquer them. Actually, I'd probably just ignore Crimea,
it's often more hastle than it's worth, and it's often a thorn in the
side of Poland/Lithuania and/or Russia. On the other hand Astrakhan's
center of trade should be your top priority once you've gotten Asia
minor under control.

>Still, Oman managed to get all of north Africa as vassal (I don't think
>it started with them as vassals), while I didn't succeed with repeated
>attempts with Crimea and Astrakhan.

If that includes the Mamuluks, that's suprising, but Oman can sometimes
turn itself into a major player. It likely though that at least of some
of those vassals were aquired through conquest. However, so long as Oman
doesn't end up annexing all those countries, it's actually a good thing.
Vassalation hurts the vassal more than it benefits the owning country.
You'll find it much easier to conquer the vassals now, and Oman won't
be that much more of a threat, if it even bothers opposing you.

>That reminds me of another question: although I previously had an
>excellent relationship with Oman, they recently chose the side of
>Iraq, and I ended up fighting Oman. So if I conquer Oman, do his
>vassals become my vassals?

Nope.

> Or are do they become independent again?

If you eliminate Oman then Oman's vassals become independent.

btw. you'll find it difficult to annex Oman through conquest. Oman
controls Zanzibar, an island down the east cost of Africa, and probably
has a few colonies along the costs Africa and India. You'll want
to annex Iraq and grab Basra from whoever controls it, if not Iraq.
That'll give you access to the Indian Ocean and you can start building
up a fleet there. At some point you'll want to sack Oman's capital to
get a copy of its world map. That'll show you where it's colonies are,
as well as the route to get Zanzibar.

Ross Ridge
--
l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo] rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca

"mcv" <mcvmcv@xs4all.nl> wrote in message

> Here's a question about vassalization in Europa Universalis:
>
> If I understand correctly, if you have an alliance, the same religion
> (and royal marriage?), and relationship is +190 or +200, you can
> propose to your ally to become your vassal. The problem is, they
> never, ever accept. Why? How can I increase the chances of successful
> vassalization? Why can't I (as Turkey) make all of north Africa my
> vassals, while Oman can? It's starting to look like an AI-players-only
> feature.
>

> mcv.
> --
> "Serenity is a very personal work with political resonance and a
> heartfelt message about the human condition and stuff blowing up."
> -- Joss Whedon on his new film

There are 1 more factor and thats time. You cant start to vassalize until
after 10 year's, but there chances arent high until u have had them
vazalized for 20-80 years depending on the size of countries: The bigger u
are compared to the country u wana vassalize the fast the chance rise.
Estimated time is around 15-20 years for a single province country if ur
self are 5 or more provicens. If u are about the same size as the country u
trying to vassalize, u need to have had it vassalized for 70 80 years,
before u get a decent chance of a succesfull vassalization check.

Also you do need more provinces than the country u trying to vassalize and
land area adjancent to one of their land area's.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

"mcv" <mcvmcv@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> As minor turkish states, they belong in the greater Turkish empire,
> and I'd much rather see them join voluntarily than forcibly.

I believe badboy also counts, Ottoman's have nasty habit of pilling up lots
of badboy points during its conquest, countries with high badboy usually end
up in badboy wars and are suffering penalty in diplomacy.

Paradox forum:
http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51
EU2 FAQ's
http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64
http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172908

3.3. Offer Vassalization/Cancel Vassalization

Offer Vassalization
Conditions
- relations between you and the active country at 190 or more
- same Alliance
- Royal Marriage existing between you and the active country
- you must both be at peace
- they must not have vassals themselves (the option will be lit up, but
they'll always refuse).
- you need stronger economy (sidenote : it appears from recent discussions
that trade does not enter in the determination of 'stronger economy' - to be
followed).

Influencing factors
- relative monarch's DIP skill
- relative economical strengths
- number and morale of troops
- BadBoy

Effects
- You get half of the vassal's tax income.
- Fog of War is removed.
- The AI country can't enter any alliance, except yours (and only if you're
the leader). A vassalized human player may still try to create or join
another alliance, but no success were met during my tests, so I presume it's
not possible.
- The AI country may not have any further RM with anyone (including you). A
vassalized human player may still offer RM.
- Your troops may cross their territory, and your ships may enter their
ports, but Supply limit is not increased.

--
Vojska.net - strategy, wargaming, military history website
http://www.vojska.net/

Ross Ridge <rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> mcv <mcvmcv@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
>>As minor turkish states, they belong in the greater Turkish empire,
>>and I'd much rather see them join voluntarily than forcibly.
>
> I'd just conquer them.

But that's too easy. And besides, I get lots of bad boy points, and I'd
like to do this peacefully for a change.

> Actually, I'd probably just ignore Crimea,
> it's often more hastle than it's worth, and it's often a thorn in the
> side of Poland/Lithuania and/or Russia.

True, it's not a big issue (I'd rather subjugate Persia, North Africa
and the Balkans), but I've never made a new vassal, and it is an
aspect of the game, so it should be possible and I'd like to do it.
Besides, it just seems appropriate from a role-playing point of view;
they're Turkish, I'm Turkey, so we belong together.

> On the other hand Astrakhan's
> center of trade should be your top priority once you've gotten Asia
> minor under control.

There's no center of trade in Astrakhan. At least not in the grand campaign.
There is a gold area in Samara, just across their border with the Golden
Horde.

>>Still, Oman managed to get all of north Africa as vassal (I don't think
>>it started with them as vassals), while I didn't succeed with repeated
>>attempts with Crimea and Astrakhan.
>
> If that includes the Mamuluks, that's suprising,

No, I've already annexed them. Taking over the Mamluks was my first
priority. I've also annexed Iraq, but only after Iraq somehow managed
to annex my former ally (I forgot the name; it's located between the
Mamluks and Aden). I think at some point that former ally was a vassal
of Iraq and Iraq annexed it as soon as possible. No idea how Iraq
managed to do that. It's possible that it was conquered, but I think
I would have been drawn into that war and noticed it.

In any case, Oman has also annexed Aden, although that may have been
conquest too.

> but Oman can sometimes
> turn itself into a major player. It likely though that at least of some
> of those vassals were aquired through conquest.

Is it possible to vassalize through conquest? I thought you could only
convert or annex them. In any case, Oman doesn't border on North Africa,
so I don't think it can have been conquest.

> However, so long as Oman
> doesn't end up annexing all those countries, it's actually a good thing.
> Vassalation hurts the vassal more than it benefits the owning country.

I didn't know that.

> You'll find it much easier to conquer the vassals now, and Oman won't
> be that much more of a threat, if it even bothers opposing you.

Actually, I was thinking of conquering Oman (I've already conquered
Yemen and Al Kharam), but if that would free Oman's vassals, that
would mean I'd first be fighting a rich Oman, and by the time I'm
conquering his vassals, they have their income back again.

> btw. you'll find it difficult to annex Oman through conquest. Oman
> controls Zanzibar, an island down the east cost of Africa, and probably
> has a few colonies along the costs Africa and India. You'll want
> to annex Iraq and grab Basra from whoever controls it, if not Iraq.

I've already annexed Iraq, and I also have a small fleet in the Red Sea.
I don't think Oman has any colonies, because it has no exploration info
I don't already have as well. (We've shared it long ago.) I know Zanzibar's
location, and I actually have a trading post nearby (in Mombasa). It got
burned down in our recent war, but I've rebuilt it again.

mcv.
--

mcv <mcvmcv@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>There's no center of trade in Astrakhan. At least not in the grand campaign.

Oh, is this the origina Europa Universalis you're playing?

>Is it possible to vassalize through conquest?

Hmm.. maybe not in EU1.

Ross Ridge

--
l/ // Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo] rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca
-()-/()/ http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/u/rridge/
db //

Ross Ridge <rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> mcv <mcvmcv@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>>There's no center of trade in Astrakhan. At least not in the grand campaign.
>
> Oh, is this the origina Europa Universalis you're playing?

It is.

>>Is it possible to vassalize through conquest?
>
> Hmm.. maybe not in EU1.

So I should switch to EU2?

mcv.
--

Ivan Bajlo <ivan.bajlo@zg.htnet.hr> wrote:

> Paradox forum:
> http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51
> EU2 FAQ's
> http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64
> http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172908

Excellent! Thanks. Although I'll be looking at the EU1 forums.

mcv.
--

mcv wrote:
> Ross Ridge <rridge@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> > mcv <mcvmcv@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> >>There's no center of trade in Astrakhan. At least not in the grand campaign.
> >
> > Oh, is this the origina Europa Universalis you're playing?
>
> It is.
>
> >>Is it possible to vassalize through conquest?
> >
> > Hmm.. maybe not in EU1.
>
> So I should switch to EU2?
>

> mcv.

Absolutely; EU2 is better than EU1 in every way, albeit basically the
same game.
And it can be had for next to nothing these days.

- von Schmidt

> So I should switch to EU2?

Definitely, there are great mods and map is being edited and some 200 extra
provinces will be added to already those added in EU2!

Maps
http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97
MKJ maps soon to be relased:
http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191611
And with mods most of Africa and Asia have new nations in provinces.

--

mcv <mcvmcv@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>So I should switch to EU2?

Europa Universalis II fixes some basic anoyances with the game, like
being able to park a fleet next to one of your provinces without having
suffer from attrition, so, for that reason alone, yes. The campaign
starts about 100 years earlier, which for most countries means a more
interesting starting position. About the only negative is that AI can't
deal with all those the extra countries very well. You'll find the
Spain and the other colonial powers losing one war after another against
"natives" that you could easily steamroll over.

Ross Ridge

--

von Schmidt <von_schmidt@mail.com> wrote:
> mcv wrote:
>>
>> So I should switch to EU2?
>
> Absolutely; EU2 is better than EU1 in every way, albeit basically the
> same game.

Except for the AI, if I understand Ross Ridge's message correctly.

> And it can be had for next to nothing these days.

If I ever see it somewhere, I'll definitely buy it. So far, EU1 is
quite a lot of fun too. The only problem is that fleets don't give
me a warning message when they start suffering from attrition.
Some estimate about the amount of attrition a journey will cost me
would be nice too.

mcv.