Is it the adapter or the router?

sebholm91

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
Hey, I've been annoyed by my home wifi for half a year now and figured someone on here might be able to help me understand. The problem is basically that my home wifi runs from a router that renews its IP adress every hour or so, and I keep getting disconnected from the Internet for 15 mins. or so every single time and then again not always; sometimes a page fails to load and then the connection is re-established a moment afterwards - it's very random.

The odd thing is that while my desktop Pc gets disconnected for long peiods of time my PS3, phone and laptop all seem to be able to reconnect during other periods of time where the desktop is unable. Also my parents and sister seem to be disturbed in different intervals. This makes me think that besides the annoying short disconnection on every device, my wifi adapter might cause the desktop additional problems reconnecting.
I'm using a Netgear WG111 v3 adapter. I should probably note that when I was running Windows 7 it already gave me trouble installing drivers and I had to run compatibility mode for Vista, and now with Windows 8 Pro 64-bit I had even more trouble, installer crashing and me having to manually go to the Device Manager and search for the install data for the driver. It's only been causing me problems since I bought it and though it works as I write this there is no way for me to know if it goes offline again or not in the next second.

I've recently reformatted my Pc and that didn't change a thing in this context and I've also been in contact with my Internet provider (the largest of such in Denmark, where I live), and they are the ones that told me that the router needs to reaquire a new IP every now and then for security reasons. I'm thinking that maybe the wifi adapter is the problem and a new adapter would help this issue out but I wanted to ask this community before I waste my money on something that works just as badly as the old adapter.

I'll provide any information that I may have missed, just ask away and I'll see what I can do!
Thanks in advance :)

sebber91

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012

But their tech support even forwarded me to their advanced tech support guy who told me that it was meant to do that? :S I wouldn't expect a support assistant to lie to me and neither of being un-educated about his profession :O