How to re-amp guitar track?

Last response: in Home Audio
March 15, 2005 12:25:30 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar (More info?)

What do I need to properly/effectively match impedance from the output
of my mixer to the input of a guitar amp so that I can re-amp mixes that
have direct-out guitar tracks?

My Bogner guitar amp has both an H and L input, if that makes a
difference. Thanks in advance.

--
Nick D.
http://ironia.net

More about : amp guitar track

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 12:25:31 AM

Nick D. wrote:
> What do I need to properly/effectively match impedance from the output
> of my mixer to the input of a guitar amp so that I can re-amp mixes that
> have direct-out guitar tracks?
>
> My Bogner guitar amp has both an H and L input, if that makes a
> difference. Thanks in advance.

Check out the following thread. The link will probably wrap, so cut and
paste into your browser.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.audio.pro/brows...

-Naren
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 11:50:23 AM

Nick D. <njd@NOSPAMcultv.com> wrote:
>What do I need to properly/effectively match impedance from the output
>of my mixer to the input of a guitar amp so that I can re-amp mixes that
>have direct-out guitar tracks?

Can you solder? If so, would you like to try something out?
--scott
March 15, 2005 12:44:55 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar (More info?)

In article <d16p6v$5o6$1@panix2.panix.com>, kludge@panix.com (Scott
Dorsey) wrote:

> Nick D. <njd@NOSPAMcultv.com> wrote:
> >What do I need to properly/effectively match impedance from the output
> >of my mixer to the input of a guitar amp so that I can re-amp mixes that
> >have direct-out guitar tracks?
>
> Can you solder? If so, would you like to try something out?
> --scott

Do you have a design for some new re-amp device? If so, I'd be interested
in trying it out.

--
Jedd Haas - Artist
http://www.gallerytungsten.com

Nick D. wrote:
> What do I need to properly/effectively match impedance from the
output
> of my mixer to the input of a guitar amp so that I can re-amp mixes
that
> have direct-out guitar tracks?
>
> My Bogner guitar amp has both an H and L input, if that makes a
> difference. Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Nick D.
> http://ironia.net
> http://www.cultv.com

I could be wrong but I don't think you need to match impedance?

Run a 1/4 cable guitar cable from your mixer to your guitar amp and
start with the volume on the mixer at 0. Just don't run the line out
of anything like "Mains".

Chris
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 7:55:34 PM

Guncho <cgunter@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I could be wrong but I don't think you need to match impedance?

It helps.

>Run a 1/4 cable guitar cable from your mixer to your guitar amp and
>start with the volume on the mixer at 0. Just don't run the line out
>of anything like "Mains".

You will need to pad the output of the mixer down a little bit, and you
may run into ground problems. It also won't sound as good as it might
if you had a source impedance on the amp that was closer to that of a
pickup. But this is a good first cut that you can do without any additional
equipment and is worth trying.
--scott

March 15, 2005 11:48:39 PM

In article <1110922303.363066.326880@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com> cgunter@hotmail.com writes:

> I could be wrong but I don't think you need to match impedance?

Electrically, no, but some guitar amplifiers sound different when fed
from a high impedance, particularly one with some reactance (like a
guitar pickup). The Milenia Media direct box has a re-amp function
with two taps on the transformer that feeds the amplifier to simulate
the source impedance of two popular pickup styles. John says it makes
a difference, and he's a guitar players so he should know.

> Run a 1/4 cable guitar cable from your mixer to your guitar amp and
> start with the volume on the mixer at 0.

That'll certainly get some signal to the amp and you can start playing
around. The amplifier source impedance thing isn't a deal maker or
breaker, but it's something that makes one reamp box different from
another.

March 16, 2005 12:49:11 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar (More info?)

In article <d16p6v$5o6$1@panix2.panix.com>, kludge@panix.com says...
> Nick D. <njd@NOSPAMcultv.com> wrote:
> >What do I need to properly/effectively match impedance from the output
> >of my mixer to the input of a guitar amp so that I can re-amp mixes that
> >have direct-out guitar tracks?
>
> Can you solder? If so, would you like to try something out?
> --scott

Hi Scott,

I'm an abysmally bad solderer, but I dare say that several of us would
be interested in hearing about your suggested project.

--
Nick D.
http://ironia.net

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar (More info?)

In article <39n2rnF637sqfU1@individual.net>, naren99@aol.com says...
> Nick D. wrote:
> > What do I need to properly/effectively match impedance from the output
> > of my mixer to the input of a guitar amp so that I can re-amp mixes that
> > have direct-out guitar tracks?
> >
> > My Bogner guitar amp has both an H and L input, if that makes a
> > difference. Thanks in advance.
> >

> Check out the following thread. The link will probably wrap, so cut and
> paste into your browser.
>
> http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.audio.pro/brows...
>
> -Naren

Thanks much, Naren. That was very informative and I had failed to find
that thread with a Google search.

--
Nick D.
http://ironia.net

A decade ago, I occasionally used to re-amp in my studio, I believe by
simply going backwards through a passive direct box. But now I'm
forgetting exactly how to do it. The only D.I.'s I currently have
available are the ones in my Brent Averill API 312 lunchbox mic-pre
modules. I suspect that these won't work because there's no way to
bypass the mic-pre stage. Or am I mistaken about that?
Thanks, Rick.
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 1:00:18 PM

rickymix <snovak2@earthlink.net> wrote:
>A decade ago, I occasionally used to re-amp in my studio, I believe by
>simply going backwards through a passive direct box. But now I'm
>forgetting exactly how to do it. The only D.I.'s I currently have
>available are the ones in my Brent Averill API 312 lunchbox mic-pre
>modules. I suspect that these won't work because there's no way to
>bypass the mic-pre stage. Or am I mistaken about that?

So, spend twenty bucks and buy a Whirlwind IMP-2 at the local MI store.
You should have one around the studio anyway. They come in handy for
the damndest things.
--scott
March 16, 2005 5:48:10 PM

Scott wrote:
> ..spend twenty bucks and buy a Whirlwind IMP-2 at the local MI
store.

That's really all that's necessary, isn't it? So what's the deal with
all the fancy-schmancy re-amping boxes for sale; pure marketing? Or
can you tweak the impedance or something?
Thanks, Rick.
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 9:34:33 PM

rickymix <snovak2@earthlink.net> wrote:
>Scott wrote:
>> ..spend twenty bucks and buy a Whirlwind IMP-2 at the local MI
>store.
>
>That's really all that's necessary, isn't it? So what's the deal with
>all the fancy-schmancy re-amping boxes for sale; pure marketing? Or
>can you tweak the impedance or something?

The reamp boxes first of all do a better job of emulating the impedance
of a real pickup, and on some amps that's a big deal. They also have
level controls on them, which turns out to be a huge help when you are
trying to fiddle the gain structure on the amp to the tone you want.

The reamp boxes are worth the money for the most part and I promise an
article on how they work and how to build one in Recording some time in
the distant future. But you can do something makeshift with an IMP-2
and it won't be optimal but it will help you get a sense of what you can
do.
--scott

March 16, 2005 10:44:10 PM

In article <d19hm2$9ck$1@panix2.panix.com>, kludge@panix.com (Scott
Dorsey) wrote:

> rickymix <snovak2@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >A decade ago, I occasionally used to re-amp in my studio, I believe by
> >simply going backwards through a passive direct box. But now I'm
> >forgetting exactly how to do it. The only D.I.'s I currently have
> >available are the ones in my Brent Averill API 312 lunchbox mic-pre
> >modules. I suspect that these won't work because there's no way to
> >bypass the mic-pre stage. Or am I mistaken about that?
>
> So, spend twenty bucks and buy a Whirlwind IMP-2 at the local MI store.
> You should have one around the studio anyway. They come in handy for
> the damndest things.

What value pot would you suggest for those who want to add a level control
and don't mind drilling a hole in the DI?

--
Jedd Haas - Artist
http://www.gallerytungsten.com
http://www.epsno.com
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 2:39:58 AM

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 19:44:10 -0600, jnh@epsno.com (Jedd Haas) wrote:

>What value pot would you suggest for those who want to add a level control
>and don't mind drilling a hole in the DI?

Smoke whatever you got on hand. No need to run out and look for the
exotic stuff.

====================
Tracy Wintermute
arrgh@greenapple.com
Rushcreek Ranch
====================
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 6:58:42 AM

rickymix wrote:
> Scott wrote:
>
>> ..spend twenty bucks and buy a Whirlwind IMP-2 at the local MI
>
> store.
>
> That's really all that's necessary, isn't it? So what's the deal with
> all the fancy-schmancy re-amping boxes for sale; pure marketing? Or
> can you tweak the impedance or something?
> Thanks, Rick.

We have the ReAmp and the Little Labs RedEye and use
them often for reamping guitars, keyboards into amps,
vocals into Leslies, snares into the room, etc., etc.

Our ReAmp is permanently wired to the patchbay and
mounted on an equipment rack near the control room door.
"Hey, lets run the vocal into a distorted guitar amp.
Sure. No problem". We patch it into the ReAmp, run a
guitar cable under the door into the studio, plug it
into the amp and in about 3-4 minutes, the track is
being recorded.

It's invaluable to have the right tool for the job ready
to go at any time. The specially designed reamp boxes
match the impedance properly and have a volume control
for tweaking the gain. You get the sound you want right
away and everybody's happy. Well worth the expense IMHO.

John Noll
Retromedia Sound Studios
Red Bank, NJ

jn145_deletethisfirst_@verizon.net
http://www.retromedia.net
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 1:17:16 PM

Jedd Haas <jnh@epsno.com> wrote:
>In article <d19hm2$9ck$1@panix2.panix.com>, kludge@panix.com (Scott
>Dorsey) wrote:
>
>> rickymix <snovak2@earthlink.net> wrote:
>> >A decade ago, I occasionally used to re-amp in my studio, I believe by
>> >simply going backwards through a passive direct box. But now I'm
>> >forgetting exactly how to do it. The only D.I.'s I currently have
>> >available are the ones in my Brent Averill API 312 lunchbox mic-pre
>> >modules. I suspect that these won't work because there's no way to
>> >bypass the mic-pre stage. Or am I mistaken about that?
>>
>> So, spend twenty bucks and buy a Whirlwind IMP-2 at the local MI store.
>> You should have one around the studio anyway. They come in handy for
>> the damndest things.
>
>What value pot would you suggest for those who want to add a level control
>and don't mind drilling a hole in the DI?

Problem is that if you put the level control in front of the transformer,
you're changing the impedance the transformer sees when you turn it, and
if you put it after the transformer, you're changing the impedance the
amp sees (unless you put a big series resistor after the pot so the
resistor swamps the pot impedance).

Look for a Recording article soon.
--scott
March 30, 2005 1:42:56 AM

On 16 Mar 2005 10:00:18 -0500, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

>So, spend twenty bucks and buy a Whirlwind IMP-2 at the local MI store.
>You should have one around the studio anyway. They come in handy for
>the damndest things.
>--scott

Is this any better than the Rolls DB 25 (I got one of those).
<nitpick> And from what I can see they are more than $30 bucks
</nitpick>.

Also, I don't think it would help with the Clarus which has an XLR
out. I think in need the ground lifter thingie that Mike recommended.

>--
>"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

Willie K. Yee, M.D. http://users.bestweb.net/~wkyee
Developer of Problem Knowledge Couplers for Psychiatry http://www.pkc.com
Webmaster and Guitarist for the Big Blue Big Band http://www.bigbluebigband.org
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 1:42:57 AM

Willie K.Yee, M.D. <wkyeeATbestwebDOTnet> wrote:
>On 16 Mar 2005 10:00:18 -0500, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>
>>So, spend twenty bucks and buy a Whirlwind IMP-2 at the local MI store.
>>You should have one around the studio anyway. They come in handy for
>>the damndest things.
>
>Is this any better than the Rolls DB 25 (I got one of those).
><nitpick> And from what I can see they are more than $30 bucks
></nitpick>.

I don't know the Rolls, but if it's passive it should be fine. It's
probably more expensive than the IMP-2, though.

>Also, I don't think it would help with the Clarus which has an XLR
>out. I think in need the ground lifter thingie that Mike recommended.

Right. You connect the output of the tape deck into the _output_ of the
DI box and use it in reverse. Then you can use the ground lift switch
on the DI box when you need to break grounds. You will need a female-female
cable or barrel connector.
--scott

March 30, 2005 1:42:57 AM

In article <4249cb4c.33067654@nntp.bestweb.net> wkyeeATbestwebDOTnet writes:

> Is this any better than the Rolls DB 25 (I got one of those).

Whatever you have is always the best one to try first. Then you can
learn what's wrong with it and either fix it or get something else
that doesn't have the problem.

Or did you already do that? I lose track so quickly.