Mic & Pre Help

Last response: in Home Audio
March 15, 2005 2:39:56 AM

My current pre selection is a Demeter H series tube, JoeMeek VC1Q, and
an ART Dual MP (yeah I know). My LDC mics are a Neumann TLM-103 and a
Rode NT-2. I have a Tascam M-3700 console that has good on-board pres
but I am looking for something clean, big and "airy". I can't afford a
M-5 or a Red series right now so I am considering either the Grace 101,
the Summit 2BA-221 or the FMR RNP. Can anyone compare these for me or
suggest something else in this price range. I am also considering
another vocal mic that has some character to it maybe an AT-4037, Rode
NTK or Rode NT-2a. Any user comments on these?

Thanks

Dave

More about : mic pre

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 11:51:44 AM

Sell the ART Dual MP, the Rode NT2, and possibly the JoeMeek. Possible
stuff to buy would be the FMR, Speck, Sytek preamps and/or some mics.
Why not another TLM-103 for stereo if you need to have two LDC? What
about other types of mics, like the KM184 or RE20 or whatever?

Cheers,
Trevor de Clercq

Noizman wrote:
> My current pre selection is a Demeter H series tube, JoeMeek VC1Q, and
> an ART Dual MP (yeah I know). My LDC mics are a Neumann TLM-103 and a
> Rode NT-2. I have a Tascam M-3700 console that has good on-board pres
> but I am looking for something clean, big and "airy". I can't afford a
> M-5 or a Red series right now so I am considering either the Grace 101,
> the Summit 2BA-221 or the FMR RNP. Can anyone compare these for me or
> suggest something else in this price range. I am also considering
> another vocal mic that has some character to it maybe an AT-4037, Rode
> NTK or Rode NT-2a. Any user comments on these?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 12:00:30 PM

In article <BEtZd.48329$%Y4.11806@bignews6.bellsouth.net>,
Noizman <monster@atlantic.net> wrote:
>My current pre selection is a Demeter H series tube, JoeMeek VC1Q, and
>an ART Dual MP (yeah I know). My LDC mics are a Neumann TLM-103 and a
>Rode NT-2. I have a Tascam M-3700 console that has good on-board pres
>but I am looking for something clean, big and "airy". I can't afford a
>M-5 or a Red series right now so I am considering either the Grace 101,
>the Summit 2BA-221 or the FMR RNP. Can anyone compare these for me or
>suggest something else in this price range. I am also considering
>another vocal mic that has some character to it maybe an AT-4037, Rode
>NTK or Rode NT-2a. Any user comments on these?

I can't say anything about the preamps, but the AT-4047 is very airy on
top. Very peaky and exaggerated response above 8 KC or so, which really
adds a sense of openness to a vocal.
--scott

March 15, 2005 1:36:57 PM

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 23:39:56 -0500, Noizman wrote
(in article <BEtZd.48329$%Y4.11806@bignews6.bellsouth.net>):

> My current pre selection is a Demeter H series tube, JoeMeek VC1Q, and
> an ART Dual MP (yeah I know). My LDC mics are a Neumann TLM-103 and a
> Rode NT-2. I have a Tascam M-3700 console that has good on-board pres
> but I am looking for something clean, big and "airy". I can't afford a
> M-5 or a Red series right now so I am considering either the Grace 101,
> the Summit 2BA-221 or the FMR RNP. Can anyone compare these for me or
> suggest something else in this price range. I am also considering
> another vocal mic that has some character to it maybe an AT-4037, Rode
> NTK or Rode NT-2a. Any user comments on these?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave

Mic, preamp and other reviews are in my articles archive.

Regards,

Ty ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 2:31:15 PM

"Noizman" <monster@atlantic.net> wrote in message
> My current pre selection is a Demeter H series tube, JoeMeek VC1Q, and
> an ART Dual MP (yeah I know). My LDC mics are a Neumann TLM-103 and a
> Rode NT-2. I have a Tascam M-3700 console that has good on-board pres
> but I am looking for something clean, big and "airy". I can't afford a
> M-5 or a Red series right now so I am considering either the Grace 101,
> the Summit 2BA-221 or the FMR RNP. Can anyone compare these for me or
> suggest something else in this price range. I am also considering
> another vocal mic that has some character to it maybe an AT-4037, Rode
> NTK or Rode NT-2a. Any user comments on these?

You should consider a Sytek preamp. It's a four channel solid-state unit
with two Burr-Brown channels and two "clean" channels. I don't have
experience with a lot of preamps so I can't make comparisons here, but I
will say that the clean channels are simply amazing to me. I don't think you
would be disappointed with the "clean and airy" factor, for sure. Compared
to the preamps in my Crest or my RNP, the Sytek blows them away.

They go for around $800 on Ebay, and it's by far the best bang for the buck
in a four channel unit I know of.

BTW: in one of your followups you said you have a Lex MPX100 and a TC
M-One - how would you compare those two? I also have the MPX100 and I'm
looking at the M-One as an affordable step up.

Sean
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 5:11:52 PM

> Does anyone have a comparison between the Grace and the RNP and the
Summit?

I've owned all three of those at the same time. I definitely preferred
the Grace Design 101 to the other two, particularly for vocals and
acoustic instruments.

Although fairly versatile, the 2BA-221 I had was terribly noisy (others
have reported this problem too, do some searches here). The RNP I
thought was a little "hard", although many in this price range can
present that, even the Grace.

Another preamp that's in the same ballpark is the Presonus MP20,
especially with the Burr Brown opamps.

They're all decent enough, but as mentioned by someone else, you'll
likely need some good EQ to add much "air" to any of them, depending on
your source.

I don't think there's a lot in that price range to give a clear, open,
three dimensional sound. The Focusrite ISA 428 is really nice for
that, and is roughly similar in price per channel, but you have to buy
four channels at once...

Steve
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 6:05:33 PM

Other mics I have are: Sennheiser 421, SM57's, 58's, Beta 91, Audix
OM-2's, D6, Blue Ball, Rode NT-5's some CAD drum mics, AKG D112 and the
TLM-103 and NT-2. Any suggestions on what would be good to fill in some
sonic spaces here. I've been looking at some AT models, a Baby Bottle, a
SM-81, and an Oktava 219. I do everything from mellow acoustic chick
singers to heavy metal rock bands. Other equipt. Tascam M-3700, 3X ADAT
XT20, MOTU 828MK II, Cubase, Sonar, several Berhenger Composer pro's,
FMR RNC, Lex MPX 100, TC M-one, Midiverb, DeltaLab, Samson Resolv 80a w/
sub, Westlake BBSM-8. Well thats pretty much my studio setup. Any
suggestions on where I could really take things up a notch (yeah maybe a
couple of Distressors, an 1176, a Great River NV-2, a lex PCM-81) I have
been doing this a long time and I know what is good but I'm smart enough
to know I don't know everything so by picking your brains I can either
be validated or educated so bring it on. Scott, Ethan, Roger, Norman,
Geoff, Mike, Fletcher.... what say you Sages of RAP.

Dave

Trevor de Clercq wrote:

> Sell the ART Dual MP, the Rode NT2, and possibly the JoeMeek. Possible
> stuff to buy would be the FMR, Speck, Sytek preamps and/or some mics.
> Why not another TLM-103 for stereo if you need to have two LDC? What
> about other types of mics, like the KM184 or RE20 or whatever?
>
> Cheers,
> Trevor de Clercq
>
> Noizman wrote:
>
>> My current pre selection is a Demeter H series tube, JoeMeek VC1Q, and
>> an ART Dual MP (yeah I know). My LDC mics are a Neumann TLM-103 and a
>> Rode NT-2. I have a Tascam M-3700 console that has good on-board pres
>> but I am looking for something clean, big and "airy". I can't afford
>> a M-5 or a Red series right now so I am considering either the Grace
>> 101, the Summit 2BA-221 or the FMR RNP. Can anyone compare these for
>> me or suggest something else in this price range. I am also
>> considering another vocal mic that has some character to it maybe an
>> AT-4037, Rode NTK or Rode NT-2a. Any user comments on these?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Dave
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 6:05:34 PM

The RE20 is great for bass and kick drum . And the KM184 kills on
acoustic instruments. I tend to go in favor of quality over quantity.
I personally would sell most of the prosumer level stuff.

Cheers,
Trevor de Clercq

Noizman wrote:
> Other mics I have are: Sennheiser 421, SM57's, 58's, Beta 91, Audix
> OM-2's, D6, Blue Ball, Rode NT-5's some CAD drum mics, AKG D112 and the
> TLM-103 and NT-2. Any suggestions on what would be good to fill in some
> sonic spaces here. I've been looking at some AT models, a Baby Bottle, a
> SM-81, and an Oktava 219. I do everything from mellow acoustic chick
> singers to heavy metal rock bands. Other equipt. Tascam M-3700, 3X ADAT
> XT20, MOTU 828MK II, Cubase, Sonar, several Berhenger Composer pro's,
> FMR RNC, Lex MPX 100, TC M-one, Midiverb, DeltaLab, Samson Resolv 80a w/
> sub, Westlake BBSM-8. Well thats pretty much my studio setup. Any
> suggestions on where I could really take things up a notch (yeah maybe a
> couple of Distressors, an 1176, a Great River NV-2, a lex PCM-81) I have
> been doing this a long time and I know what is good but I'm smart enough
> to know I don't know everything so by picking your brains I can either
> be validated or educated so bring it on. Scott, Ethan, Roger, Norman,
> Geoff, Mike, Fletcher.... what say you Sages of RAP.
>
> Dave
>
> Trevor de Clercq wrote:
>
>> Sell the ART Dual MP, the Rode NT2, and possibly the JoeMeek.
>> Possible stuff to buy would be the FMR, Speck, Sytek preamps and/or
>> some mics. Why not another TLM-103 for stereo if you need to have two
>> LDC? What about other types of mics, like the KM184 or RE20 or whatever?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Trevor de Clercq
>>
>> Noizman wrote:
>>
>>> My current pre selection is a Demeter H series tube, JoeMeek VC1Q,
>>> and an ART Dual MP (yeah I know). My LDC mics are a Neumann TLM-103
>>> and a Rode NT-2. I have a Tascam M-3700 console that has good
>>> on-board pres but I am looking for something clean, big and "airy".
>>> I can't afford a M-5 or a Red series right now so I am considering
>>> either the Grace 101, the Summit 2BA-221 or the FMR RNP. Can anyone
>>> compare these for me or suggest something else in this price range. I
>>> am also considering another vocal mic that has some character to it
>>> maybe an AT-4037, Rode NTK or Rode NT-2a. Any user comments on these?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Dave
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 6:05:34 PM

Noizman <monster@atlantic.net> wrote:
>couple of Distressors, an 1176, a Great River NV-2, a lex PCM-81) I have
>been doing this a long time and I know what is good but I'm smart enough
>to know I don't know everything so by picking your brains I can either
>be validated or educated so bring it on. Scott, Ethan, Roger, Norman,
>Geoff, Mike, Fletcher.... what say you Sages of RAP.

I say you should audition the original Great River preamp (not the NV).
And also the John Hardy. Get something really good that is neutral-sounding.
I think you'll be amazed at what an SM-57 sounds like through either of
these. Or the 421, for that matter.

Then worry about getting some nice colored preamps. But spend some money
on the cleanest transformer-input preamp you can get first. Or at least
audition them for a week on loan to see if I'm not right.
--scott
March 15, 2005 7:07:45 PM

Noizman wrote:

> Does anyone have a comparison between the Grace and the RNP and the Summit?

I've had a short round with a Grace Lunatec V3 and the RNP. I prefer the
RNP. YMMV

--
ha
Anonymous

news:D 1717g$pb5$1@panix2.panix.com...
> Noizman <monster@atlantic.net> wrote:
> >couple of Distressors, an 1176, a Great River NV-2, a lex PCM-81) I have
> >been doing this a long time and I know what is good but I'm smart enough
> >to know I don't know everything so by picking your brains I can either
> >be validated or educated so bring it on. Scott, Ethan, Roger, Norman,
> >Geoff, Mike, Fletcher.... what say you Sages of RAP.
>
> I say you should audition the original Great River preamp (not the NV).
> And also the John Hardy. Get something really good that is
neutral-sounding.
> I think you'll be amazed at what an SM-57 sounds like through either of
> these. Or the 421, for that matter.
>
> Then worry about getting some nice colored preamps. But spend some money
> on the cleanest transformer-input preamp you can get first. Or at least
> audition them for a week on loan to see if I'm not right.

Another observation: Almost all of your microphones, excepting the D112 and
NT5, are varying degrees of bright, from gentle to screaming. I'd suggest
getting some neutral ones too. You mentioned the SM81; other possibilities
include the Neumann TLM193 (well, not perfectly neutral but more so than
most), E-V RE15 (used, on e-bay), and Shure SM-7.

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 12:10:59 AM

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> I say you should audition the original Great River preamp (not the NV).
> And also the John Hardy. Get something really good that is neutral-sounding.
> I think you'll be amazed at what an SM-57 sounds like through either of
> these. Or the 421, for that matter.

What he said. A good xfrmr input pre turns a hundred dollar Shure into a
thousand dolalrs worth of mic sound. That's my arrogant opinion.

> Then worry about getting some nice colored preamps. But spend some money
> on the cleanest transformer-input preamp you can get first. Or at least
> audition them for a week on loan to see if I'm not right.

You're right, IMAO.

--
ha
Anonymous

Thanks for the tip on the Sytek. Several people have mentioned them so I
will check them out. On the reverbs - the Lex MPX100 has a denser more
lush sound to it but very little control over room size or delay. The TC
is a good reverb, not as thick as the Lex but still sounds big with
good stereo imaging and there is control over room size, pre delay,
decay, and HF cut. The other effects in the TC are good too with a lot
more control options than the MPX100. I use the lex mostly for vocals
and the TC for guitar and drums and when the vocals call for a more
delicate verb. Lexicon has a MPX 550 model with more parameter control
so that might be the way to go if you gotta have a Lexicon.

!