Question on how I should have Page File set up for my system

Drax8

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
Hello,

I am having some issues with my system, and I think it may have to do with how page file is set up. I am by no means an expert, in fact I'm really new to alot of the terminology and processes involved.

So here's my setup, I have windows 7 64, and I have 3 hard drives. The C drive is a SSD and has my OS, and other basic applications, the D drive is a HDD and has pictures, music, etc. The J Drive (which is new, and listed as "new volume") is another SSD which is only for games.

As of now, I only have Skyrim on the J drive, and having an issue where it freezes quite often. By freeze, I mean the screen freezes, however I can hear sound, and the only way out it to crtl-alt-del and use the task manager to shut down Skyrim which is "Not Responding". This may or may not have anything to do with page filing.

Regardless, I want to make sure I have page filing set up the best possible way for my system. Thanks for any help anyone can give.

You need to specify the rest of your system.

The page file should not be any part of your problem so long as you have sufficient ram. 4gb is enoough for any game I know of.

Leaving the page file at the default "C" SSD drive is perfect. Any page faults will be resolved the quickest there.

The more likely source of your problem is some sort of a patch to the game, or possibly a graphics driver update.

Drax8

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
geofelt,

Thanks for the reply! The rest of my system is:

i5 2500k @ 3.7GHz
HIS IceQ Turbo 6950 2 GB
16 GB Corsair Vengeance
850w Coolermaster PS

Just to clarify, should I let the system manage the page file, or use custom setting? An no page file on the other 2 drives?

Thanks again for your help.

Let the system manage the page file.

With 16gb of ram, you will do no demand paging.
Yes, there are tweaks to reduce the size of the page file and conserve space on a SSD

If you allow hibernation, 16gb will be allocated to a hiberfile. It is a bit tricky to get rid of it, once there. Google the question.

If space is not an issue, don't bother.