Bought GalCiv used, no serial

So, I spotted a baggie with a used copy of GalCiv on sale at a local EB.
CD and manual for $9.99. Perfect price to give it a try, and it's not
like I had a shortage of game boxes at home.

So, I bought it and came home. Problem is, it's asking for a serial
number. And the CD came in a paper sleeve for "Pre-Played Playstation
Game, EB" and a paper sticker for "POX-SEGA NFL2K DC". Unless it's
hiding somewhere in the manual, I have no serial and have therefore
wasted $9.99.

Lousy EB. *shakes fist*
--
Leons Petrazickis
import java.lang.Disclaimer;

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 00:29:09 -0400, Petrazickis
<spamPETRAZIspam@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>So, I spotted a baggie with a used copy of GalCiv on sale at a local EB.
>CD and manual for $9.99. Perfect price to give it a try, and it's not
>like I had a shortage of game boxes at home.
>
>So, I bought it and came home. Problem is, it's asking for a serial
>number. And the CD came in a paper sleeve for "Pre-Played Playstation
>Game, EB" and a paper sticker for "POX-SEGA NFL2K DC". Unless it's
>hiding somewhere in the manual, I have no serial and have therefore
>wasted $9.99.
>
>Lousy EB. *shakes fist*

Take it back to EB and get your money back. The code for GalCiv comes
on the cdrom case. Same thing happened to me once when buying a used
game at EB. It was missing the code for multiplayer so I took it back
to EB and got my money back.

>Take it back to EB and get your money back. The code for GalCiv comes
>on the cdrom case. Same thing happened to me once when buying a used
>game at EB. It was missing the code for multiplayer so I took it back
>to EB and got my money back.

It's not really that hard to find ripped keys on the net.

I've done this a few times, having misplaced my own key for some
piece of software.

The only time that has been a problem is when MS went through an
update cycle where they invalidated all known warez keyz. I just
hunted a little harder and found my own key.

C//

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 00:29:09 -0400, Petrazickis
<spamPETRAZIspam@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>So, I spotted a baggie with a used copy of GalCiv on sale at a local EB.

Don't - even if the CD key was available, you wouldn't be able to get any
patches.

Your best bet is to return the package as defective (missing contents) or
to contact Stardock for pricing information on replacing a missing CD key.

>So, I bought it and came home. Problem is, it's asking for a serial
>number. And the CD came in a paper sleeve for "Pre-Played Playstation
>Game, EB" and a paper sticker for "POX-SEGA NFL2K DC". Unless it's
>hiding somewhere in the manual, I have no serial and have therefore
>wasted $9.99.

They accept returns for that case. I've had a similar problem with Q3
Team Arena and they allowed the return. (The CD-key was missing. In
addition, the CD was missing.)

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 12:32:34 -0700, Courageous wrote:

> The only time that has been a problem is when MS went through an
> update cycle where they invalidated all known warez keyz. I just
> hunted a little harder and found my own key.

Shouldn't be too hard to stick your WinXP key on the back/side of the
computer case, though (mine were always on a sticker). I currently have the
curious trouble that I have more legit XP keys than machines, and don't
remember which machine I used what key for. Don't think there is a "limit",
though, since I know for sure that I used the same key for three different
boxes so far (never at the same time, though), and it always worked.

M.

>Shouldn't be too hard to stick your WinXP key on the back/side of the
>computer case, though (mine were always on a sticker).

This was for Office. Over the years, I've learned to keep all certs
in a special envelope, and hand write CD keys on paper in there as well.
But... it's not perfect.

C//

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 15:56:15 -0700, Courageous wrote:

> This was for Office. Over the years, I've learned to keep all certs
> in a special envelope, and hand write CD keys on paper in there as well.
> But... it's not perfect.

Oh! I can relate to that. In fact, I wouldn't know where to find my Office
CD key right now, but then again, I did switch to Open Office a year or so
ago. Thankfully my job allows for that and doesn't require me to use Office
anymore (had a job before where that was a must).

M.

Contact me at alan.bernardo@gmail.com

Alanb

"Michael Vondung" <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 12:32:34 -0700, Courageous wrote:
>
> > The only time that has been a problem is when MS went through an
> > update cycle where they invalidated all known warez keyz. I just
> > hunted a little harder and found my own key.
>
> Shouldn't be too hard to stick your WinXP key on the back/side of the
> computer case, though (mine were always on a sticker). I currently have
the
> curious trouble that I have more legit XP keys than machines, and don't
> remember which machine I used what key for. Don't think there is a
"limit",
> though, since I know for sure that I used the same key for three different
> boxes so far (never at the same time, though), and it always worked.

For windows you can extract the key used by using "advanced windows password
recovery". I don't remember where I got the program from, but it saved my
life when 2 used machines went down and I had to reinstall, luckily I had
planned ahead and printed out the info on both installs already.