Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Needing phone with exceptional reception

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
January 20, 2005 6:37:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

I'm in need of figuring out which of the SprintPCS phones have exceptional
reception.

Any recommendations please?

Thanks,
jt
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 6:37:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"jt" <jtsoft@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:nIFHd.5763$zr4.4696@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
> I'm in need of figuring out which of the SprintPCS phones have exceptional
> reception.
>
> Any recommendations please?

I don't have any specific recommendations, but if you're OK with a more or
less fixed installation (e.g., a vehicle or a job/home site), an external
antenna can provide enough gain that the difference between the most and
least sensitive phones becomes negligible relative to the overall system
gain.

Individual phone vary a fair amount in sensitivity due to normal
manufacturing variations (probably +/-3dB easily), and this variation is not
specified to the public by Sprint (or any other cell phone service
provider). I've always figured this is the primary reason you see many
differing opinions on the sensitivity of the same model phone.

---Joel Kolstad
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 9:41:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

jt <jtsoft@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I'm in need of figuring out which of the SprintPCS
> phones have exceptional reception.
>
> Any recommendations please?

The Sanyo RL-4920 is friggin' amazing. It has never let me down unless
I'm underneath LOTS of steel and concrete (such as the basement of the
casino where I work) or when I'm like 10 miles away from the nearest tower
(such as going to the lake). Once a month I do the run between Las Vegas
and LA and there's reception 98% of the way.

In addition, it is durable, has a beautiful screen which is quite scratch
resistant, comes with an extremely handy personal voice recorder (one of
the reasons I bought the phone), has the new "ready-link" (i.e.
walkie-talkie) feature, and has ridiculously long battery life.

> Thanks,
> jt

Kevin M.
"Know your enemy, and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment... Complacency... Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Related resources
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 12:54:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

That is very true. I have experienced it myself. I would suggest the Sanyo
Phones. They seem to do very well from an RF standpoint.

"Joel Kolstad" <JKolstad71HatesSpam@Yahoo.Com> wrote in message
news:Y4ednVhvo9WRE3LcRVn-gw@comcast.com...
> "jt" <jtsoft@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:nIFHd.5763$zr4.4696@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>> I'm in need of figuring out which of the SprintPCS phones have
>> exceptional
>> reception.
>>
>> Any recommendations please?
>
> I don't have any specific recommendations, but if you're OK with a more or
> less fixed installation (e.g., a vehicle or a job/home site), an external
> antenna can provide enough gain that the difference between the most and
> least sensitive phones becomes negligible relative to the overall system
> gain.
>
> Individual phone vary a fair amount in sensitivity due to normal
> manufacturing variations (probably +/-3dB easily), and this variation is
> not specified to the public by Sprint (or any other cell phone service
> provider). I've always figured this is the primary reason you see many
> differing opinions on the sensitivity of the same model phone.
>
> ---Joel Kolstad
>
>
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 3:59:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"Joel Kolstad" <JKolstad71HatesSpam@Yahoo.Com> wrote in
news:Y4ednVhvo9WRE3LcRVn-gw@comcast.com:

> "jt" <jtsoft@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:nIFHd.5763$zr4.4696@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>> I'm in need of figuring out which of the SprintPCS phones have
>> exceptional reception.
>>
>> Any recommendations please?
>
Sanyo and Nokia seem to get the best results
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 10:43:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

What kind of external antenna are you referring to? Can you be a
little more specific please?

Lenny

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 02:55:04 -0800, "Joel Kolstad"
<JKolstad71HatesSpam@Yahoo.Com> wrote:

>"jt" <jtsoft@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>news:nIFHd.5763$zr4.4696@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>> I'm in need of figuring out which of the SprintPCS phones have exceptional
>> reception.
>>
>> Any recommendations please?
>
>I don't have any specific recommendations, but if you're OK with a more or
>less fixed installation (e.g., a vehicle or a job/home site), an external
>antenna can provide enough gain that the difference between the most and
>least sensitive phones becomes negligible relative to the overall system
>gain.
>
>Individual phone vary a fair amount in sensitivity due to normal
>manufacturing variations (probably +/-3dB easily), and this variation is not
>specified to the public by Sprint (or any other cell phone service
>provider). I've always figured this is the primary reason you see many
>differing opinions on the sensitivity of the same model phone.
>
>---Joel Kolstad
>
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 12:59:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

I think that Wilson antennas are about the best external antenna
available.

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 19:43:00 -0500, Agent User <AgentUser@agent.com>
wrote:

>What kind of external antenna are you referring to? Can you be a
>little more specific please?
>
>Lenny
>
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 12:39:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:41:58 -0800, "Kevin M."
<youwish@imaspammer.org> wrote:

>jt <jtsoft@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm in need of figuring out which of the SprintPCS
>> phones have exceptional reception.
>>
>> Any recommendations please?
>
>The Sanyo RL-4920 is friggin' amazing. It has never let me down unless
>I'm underneath LOTS of steel and concrete (such as the basement of the
>casino where I work) or when I'm like 10 miles away from the nearest tower
>(such as going to the lake). Once a month I do the run between Las Vegas
>and LA and there's reception 98% of the way.
>
>In addition, it is durable, has a beautiful screen which is quite scratch
>resistant, comes with an extremely handy personal voice recorder (one of
>the reasons I bought the phone), has the new "ready-link" (i.e.
>walkie-talkie) feature, and has ridiculously long battery life.

I'll echo your comments on the RL-4920. It's a great phone with
wonderful reception and a battery that just won't quit.
!