Warlords III Darklords Rising - need no-CD patch

magnate

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

A long shot for a game 7 years old, but does anyone know where I can
get the patch for DLR that bypasses the infuriating CD check? I've just
dug it out for a bit of old-fashioned fun, and I don't want an old CD
whirring around in my drive.

I've made an NRG image of the CD and it works ok if I mount it in
Daemon Tools, but that's a tedious kludge.

It's too old to be on GCW and patches-scrolls doesn't have no-CD
patches.

If anyone knows of a site that carries noCDs for old game, pls let me
know.

CC

I use a no-CD for DLR, even though I own two copies. I play it in such
short sessions that I wouldn't play it at all if I had to find and
mount the CD each time. I can't remember where I downloaded it, but
the standard site is

http://www.gamecopyworld.com/

Oh, I missed "It's too old to be on GCW and patches-scrolls doesn't
have no-CD
patches. " in the original post. I found it on my hard drive -- it's a
very small cracking .exe, not an .exe replacement. Zipped up it's only
6 KB! Email me.

magnate

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I had the freezing problem as well. I use the -wincurs switch and it
seems to work - but only once I patched it to 1.02 - the original 1.00
install freezes even with -wincurs. The 1.02 patch *is* on
patches-scrolls.

Many thanks fizzy - I'll email you.

CC

magnate

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

While we're on the subject, has anybody ever run Warlords TWO in xp?
I've made a DVD of all the Warlords titles, and 1, 3 and 4 all install
and run in xp - yes, the original warlords.exe runs just fine when you
double-click it! But Warlords II says this:

16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
W2.EXE
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:0000 IP:0002 OP:c7 0d 8b 01 70 Choose 'Close' to terminate the
application

I'm pretty sure this has something to do with that evil early '90s
fiasco "expanded memory", because when I click Ignore twice, the dos
box says

MODULE:(emmInit) EMM ERROR: EMM Not Available

Yes, I've allocated Expanded Memory on the Memory tab in the Properties
of W2.EXE - I've tried compatibility modes, conventional memory, XMS,
etc. Same error every time. Anyone solved this or have any ideas?

No, there's no good reason *why* I'm trying to do this. As Sir Edmund
Hillary would have said, because it's there.

CC

Isn't Warlords 2 a dos game, IIRC? Have you tried running it under
DosBox?

magnate

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

knight37 wrote:
> Isn't Warlords 2 a dos game, IIRC? Have you tried running it under
> DosBox?

Doh! Of course, thank you. That works perfectly, sound and all.

Thanks be to DosBox.

CC

In article <1125447855.314056.95460@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
ewoh27@aol.com says...
> I use a no-CD for DLR, even though I own two copies. I play it in such
> short sessions that I wouldn't play it at all if I had to find and
> mount the CD each time. I can't remember where I downloaded it, but
> the standard site is

What OS? I am asking because I had little luck running DLR under WinXP,
it kept freezing after a little while. I might try to reinstall it some
time if it works for others.
Obviously hardware plays a role, I've changed RAM and video card in the
last 3 months ...

cheers, -P.

johniemi

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
Any chance of me getting the no-cd patch too? I'd like to play Warlords on my sublaptop which has an external cd-rom that I don't want to carry around with me.

EDIT: My email is john@cc.joensuu.fi

Thanks!

-John

TRENDING THREADS