headphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

I need to get headphones for both monitoring and recording, in
conjunction with an mBox. I was warned that unless the headphones were
super-aural open, then I may have feedback problems when used with a
microphone.

Should I get seperate headphones for recording and for monitoring
playback, or are there any decent headphones that can function in both
situations?

TIA!

gms--

Greg M. Silverman <gmsRE@MOVEumn.MEeduAT.COM> wrote:
>I need to get headphones for both monitoring and recording, in
>conjunction with an mBox. I was warned that unless the headphones were
>super-aural open, then I may have feedback problems when used with a
>microphone.
>
>Should I get seperate headphones for recording and for monitoring
>playback, or are there any decent headphones that can function in both
>situations?

There are no headphones made that will function well for monitoring work.

For tracking, consider the Sony MDR-V6. It's inexpensive and easy to drive,
and it has a very exaggerated top end that makes everything sound more
forward, which is handy for tracking work. It doesn't leak much.
--scott

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Greg M. Silverman <gmsRE@MOVEumn.MEeduAT.COM> wrote:
>
>>I need to get headphones for both monitoring and recording, in
>>conjunction with an mBox. I was warned that unless the headphones were
>>super-aural open, then I may have feedback problems when used with a
>>microphone.
>>
>>Should I get seperate headphones for recording and for monitoring
>>playback, or are there any decent headphones that can function in both
>>situations?
>

> There are no headphones made that will function well for monitoring work.

Yeah, I suppose that's what monitors are for, eh? :)

> For tracking, consider the Sony MDR-V6. It's inexpensive and easy to drive,
> and it has a very exaggerated top end that makes everything sound more
> forward, which is handy for tracking work. It doesn't leak much.

Cool. By "easy to drive," I assume you mean they don't need any
amplification and they should work fine plugged into my mBox as is?

Thanks again!

gms--

Greg M. Silverman wrote:
> I need to get headphones for both monitoring and recording, in
> conjunction with an mBox. I was warned that unless the headphones
were
> super-aural open, then I may have feedback problems when used with a
> microphone.

Super-aural means "sits on the ears"
Supra-aural means "surrounds the ears"

Open headphones can tend to leak sound back into the mic, so things
like click track and drums will end up on your vocal tracks. Thus, for
tracking, generally super- or supra-aural SEALED headphones will
generally be your best choice.

> Should I get seperate headphones for recording and for monitoring
> playback, or are there any decent headphones that can function in
both
> situations?

Depends on how critical the playback monitoring is. For editing, some
mastering, and some mixing, high-end OPEN headphones like the
Sennheiser HD600 are used by quite a number of people. They are more
accurate than sealed headphones, and are generally more comfortable for
longer periods.

Just don't expect your mixes to translate back to speakers... however
headphones can be a great reference to hear things that are lost in the
speaker-room system.

Karl Winkler
Lectrosonics, Inc.
http://www.lectrosonics.com

Greg M. Silverman wrote:
> I need to get headphones for both monitoring and recording, in
> conjunction with an mBox. I was warned that unless the headphones
were
> super-aural open, then I may have feedback problems when used with a
> microphone.
>
> Should I get seperate headphones for recording and for monitoring
> playback, or are there any decent headphones that can function in
both
> situations?

Yes, get separate headphones. "Supra-aural" means on-ear, these are
ridiculously uncomfortable to me. Open means more accurate sound, but
at the expense of cue bleed, and yes you can get feedback with these.
The on-ear types will still bleed, even if closed back.

You need circumaural (over-ear) closed back for tracking. Sennheiser
HD280 Pro are decent, not hyped, and with advertised 32 dB attenuation.
They do a good job of minimizing bleed, but are not really accurate
(but none of that type are AFAIK). I'm getting ready to try the new
AKG K271 for this application, maybe they are a little more accurate,
but they're more expensive than the HD280.

For rough mixing/playback reference, the AKG K240DF are excellent.
Circumaural open-back, wide open sound, very comfortable and pleasant
to use. The "DF" means Diffuse Field, supposedly to mimic open field
monitors a little better. In my experience they are very close to the
sound of my monitors, I can switch back and forth without huge tone
shifts.

But, the 240DF need a lot of power. They are inefficient and high
impedance, so without a good headphone amp they will sound weak in the
bass, and will not have much volume. I use a Hafler 230 watt amp to
drive mine, works great <g>

Some folks like the Grados, Koss, etc. But those kinds of "music
listening" headphones will tend to sound good on many things, and not
always give enough uncolored accuracy for monitoring. So, now you need
three pairs :eek:

Steve

Yeah, those Sonys will be loud. Be careful not to blow your ears out;
they're pretty hyped.

Cheers,
Trevor de Clercq

Greg M. Silverman wrote:
> Scott Dorsey wrote:
>
>> Greg M. Silverman <gmsRE@MOVEumn.MEeduAT.COM> wrote:
>>
>>> I need to get headphones for both monitoring and recording, in
>>> conjunction with an mBox. I was warned that unless the headphones
>>> were super-aural open, then I may have feedback problems when used
>>> with a microphone.
>>>
>>> Should I get seperate headphones for recording and for monitoring
>>> playback, or are there any decent headphones that can function in
>>> both situations?
>>

>> There are no headphones made that will function well for monitoring work.
>

> Yeah, I suppose that's what monitors are for, eh? :)
>

>> For tracking, consider the Sony MDR-V6. It's inexpensive and easy to
>> drive,
>> and it has a very exaggerated top end that makes everything sound more
>> forward, which is handy for tracking work. It doesn't leak much.
>

> Cool. By "easy to drive," I assume you mean they don't need any
> amplification and they should work fine plugged into my mBox as is?
>
> Thanks again!
>
> gms--

> I was warned that unless the headphones were super-aural open,
> I may have feedback problems when used with a microphone.

You've got it exactly backwards.