Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Petition to get sprint to fix bluetooth on the lg pm-325

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 10:38:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

The lg pm-325 can only use bluetooth to connect to a wireless bluetooth
headset. It can not communicate with any other bluetooth enabled devices. In
other words the bluetooth has been crippled. Please sign the petition below
to protest this and please spread the word! thanks

http://www.petitiononline.com/fixobex/petition.html
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 1:51:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

gj wrote:
> The lg pm-325 can only use bluetooth to connect to a wireless bluetooth
> headset. It can not communicate with any other bluetooth enabled devices. In
> other words the bluetooth has been crippled.


Uhh, not correct. I know someone with a PM325 and they have
successfully used DUN.

As for OBEX, it's an acknowledged bug that is supposed to be fixed in a
future OTA firmware update. So unfortuately for you, your petition is
moot (as generally most online petitions are anwyay).



--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 9:41:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

OBEX is an acknowledged bug? where is that stated? are you a sprintpcs
representative?

For other people just sign the petition. It's not mine but I will try to get
the sprint people aware that there is a petition out there. If you keep
quiet about it then sprint will keep selling more crippled phones.


"Isaiah Beard" <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in message
news:10va6c9aeb9ef3@corp.supernews.com...
> gj wrote:
> > The lg pm-325 can only use bluetooth to connect to a wireless bluetooth
> > headset. It can not communicate with any other bluetooth enabled
devices. In
> > other words the bluetooth has been crippled.
>
>
> Uhh, not correct. I know someone with a PM325 and they have
> successfully used DUN.
>
> As for OBEX, it's an acknowledged bug that is supposed to be fixed in a
> future OTA firmware update. So unfortuately for you, your petition is
> moot (as generally most online petitions are anwyay).
>
>
>
> --
> E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
> Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 3:20:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

It is a phone that has a functionality that most phones do not. It can
connect to a bluetooth headset. That is a plus, not something to
complain to SprintPCS about. It is against the terms of service to
connect it to a data device. You want to petition SprintPCS to make it
easier for you to do what you are not supposed to do? hihi
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 11:05:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

I wonder how many folks reading this thread will understand hihi....could be
interesting!

73

"Jerome Zelinske" <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:YPqJd.5357$r27.2203@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> It is a phone that has a functionality that most phones do not. It can
> connect to a bluetooth headset. That is a plus, not something to complain
> to SprintPCS about. It is against the terms of service to connect it to a
> data device. You want to petition SprintPCS to make it easier for you to
> do what you are not supposed to do? hihi
>
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 5:32:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

gj wrote:
> OBEX is an acknowledged bug? where is that stated?

I'm not doing your research for you.

> are you a sprintpcs representative?

I don't have to be. I've already stated that 1. I have seen with own
eyes a bought-at-radioshack LG PM 325 work correctly with a DUN profile
without any modification, and 2. It has already been stated on many
forums that OBEX just wasn't ready for prime time. This phone was one
of the first with OTA firmware update capability for a reason.

> For other people just sign the petition.

If you want to waste your time, you're welcome to.


> It's not mine but I will try to get
> the sprint people aware that there is a petition out there. If you keep
> quiet about it then sprint will keep selling more crippled phones.

Crippled? The LG is a major step forward in what Sprint phones have
been able to do in the past.

Here's what I don't get. You're sitting there with an apparent sense of
entitlement, feeling that Sprint should do something, when frankly, it's
their business. The phones were built to Sprint specs, and they can
CHOOSE to include OBEX or not. If that does not sit well with you, then
your best, most influential, and most effective option is to not buy
that phone, not waste people's time with some faux-grass roots online
petition that isn't worth the bits it takes up in bandwidth and storage
space.



--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 11:17:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

I'm not the OP, but I got myself a PM-325. When I picked it up, the
large Sprint store employee told me that I wouldn't have a problem
using the phone as a modem over bluetooth with my laptop. She also told
me that PCS Vision would allow me unlimited data transfer while doing
so.

I called Sprint tech support tonight, and I got a bunch of jibba-jabber
about how using this phone as a modem "Will spoil the phone" and "Is
not the good way to use the internet". I was also told that I'd be
breaching my contract, and if I wanted to use any sort of internet with
Sprint that I had to buy a data card and pay for extra service.

Incidentally, the phone works fine as a modem paired as a DUN device
with my laptop. It dials to #777 and works well. My problem is that I
bought a PocketSurfer from DataWind (www.datawind.com if you don't know
what I'm talking about) and I can't seem to get this thing to connect
properly.

You say you've seen these phones connect properly before, and I know
it's possible since my own laptop is doing it. Any idea what this
little thing isn't doing that my laptop is?


Isaiah Beard wrote:
> gj wrote:
> > OBEX is an acknowledged bug? where is that stated?
>
> I'm not doing your research for you.
>
> > are you a sprintpcs representative?
>
> I don't have to be. I've already stated that 1. I have seen with own

> eyes a bought-at-radioshack LG PM 325 work correctly with a DUN
profile
> without any modification, and 2. It has already been stated on many
> forums that OBEX just wasn't ready for prime time. This phone was
one
> of the first with OTA firmware update capability for a reason.
>
> > For other people just sign the petition.
>
> If you want to waste your time, you're welcome to.
>
>
> > It's not mine but I will try to get
> > the sprint people aware that there is a petition out there. If you
keep
> > quiet about it then sprint will keep selling more crippled phones.
>
> Crippled? The LG is a major step forward in what Sprint phones have
> been able to do in the past.
>
> Here's what I don't get. You're sitting there with an apparent sense
of
> entitlement, feeling that Sprint should do something, when frankly,
it's
> their business. The phones were built to Sprint specs, and they can
> CHOOSE to include OBEX or not. If that does not sit well with you,
then
> your best, most influential, and most effective option is to not buy
> that phone, not waste people's time with some faux-grass roots online

> petition that isn't worth the bits it takes up in bandwidth and
storage
> space.
>
>
>
> --
> E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
> Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 6:28:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

enziarro@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm not the OP, but I got myself a PM-325. When I picked it up, the
> large Sprint store employee

Just curious, what does the employee's size have to do with this topic?
It just seems out there for no reason. Almost like saying "the
employee who had black shoes on..." total non-sequitir. But anyway...

> told me that I wouldn't have a problem
> using the phone as a modem over bluetooth with my laptop. She also told
> me that PCS Vision would allow me unlimited data transfer while doing
> so.

Well, she was unofficially right and officially wrong. In reality, yes
this is the case, and tethering is possible. However, the PCS Vision
plan was intended for unlimited use *on your phone*, and not intended as
a way to tether a computer to the network to use for real web surfing.
The written contract makes it clear that such use is prohibited.

Now, others who have done this have said that as long as your use is
light, then Sprint will look the other way. However, if you end up
using quite a bit of bandwidth, expect to get contacted by Sprint about
that. And who knows? Sprint may decide to crack down on this a little
harder than they have before at any time. I'm not saying you should or
shouldn't do anything, just be aware of the risk you're taking here.

> I called Sprint tech support tonight, and I got a bunch of jibba-jabber
> about how using this phone as a modem "Will spoil the phone" and "Is
> not the good way to use the internet". I was also told that I'd be
> breaching my contract, and if I wanted to use any sort of internet with
> Sprint that I had to buy a data card and pay for extra service.

Not jibba-jabber. See above.

> Incidentally, the phone works fine as a modem paired as a DUN device
> with my laptop. It dials to #777 and works well. My problem is that I
> bought a PocketSurfer from DataWind (www.datawind.com if you don't know
> what I'm talking about) and I can't seem to get this thing to connect
> properly.

> You say you've seen these phones connect properly before, and I know
> it's possible since my own laptop is doing it. Any idea what this
> little thing isn't doing that my laptop is?

I don't know how the datawind works, so I can't really help you. I can
only assume that maybe the Datawind device uses a proxy on port 80, and
that will cause problems. Sprint has its own proxy that pretty much all
port 80 traffic passes through, so there will bre conflicts if you
decide to use something else.

One question for you though: why not just get a Treo or a PPC device?
Given the cost of the PM-325, and the cost of the Datawind device plus
accessories, you could have bought a fully loaded Treo 600
or 650, thus allowing you to surf the web without having to go through
this rigamarole. Further you wouldn't be violating any terms of
service, since you would be using the device to surf the web, and not
tethering anything as you're doing now.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.
!