Any better pre & A>D for $260?

Last response: in Home Audio
March 15, 2005 6:35:32 PM

(hey... that was a rap... "Any bedda pre 'n A da Dee for too-siczdee")

I'm ready to buy an M-Audio DMP3 pre with 2496 card. Price then Sound
Quality then stability are main factors. For $260, Is there a better
option for digitizing large diaphram Neumann mic and elec. guitar to
1ghz PC running XP? (what about E-MU)?

More about : pre 260

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 6:41:43 PM

....or what about a cheapie ($60) Behringer Eurorack mixer for the pre
(saves $100, but I worry about noise, true 48-phantom, overload and
smooth sound)?
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 11:39:36 AM

>>I think the MXB1002 is the lowest
>>cost Behr mixer with anything like two direct outs.

By direct outs, are you referring to a tap on the preamp before signal
runs through the rest of the mixer? If yes, I assume you suggest this
to minimize extra noise introduced by the mixer circuitry. How
significant is the additional noise not to want to use the main outs?
I can get away with a UB1002 ($60), but sounds like it has no direct
outs.

I'm more worried about the sound quality of the Behr's preamps... Behr
is cheap, and I can always use the functionality, but my gut tells me
the sound of a dedicated pre (DMMP3) is going to be noticeably
superior. Do any of the small Behr have guitar imp. level inputs?
Thanks, Arny
March 16, 2005 12:31:43 PM

"wevowva" <deletetoLASTCAPrandy@suchys.com> wrote in message
> (hey... that was a rap... "Any bedda pre 'n A da Dee for
> too-siczdee")

> I'm ready to buy an M-Audio DMP3 pre with 2496 card.

This can work.

> Price then Sound
> Quality then stability are main factors. For $260, Is there a better
> option for digitizing large diaphram Neumann mic and elec. guitar to
> 1ghz PC running XP? (what about E-MU)?

Since you mention using a little Behr mixer in another post, here's a
specific example. Consider using a Behr MXB 1002 ($100) as a stereo mic
preamp and monitoring control facility. I think the MXB1002 is the lowest
cost Behr mixer with anything like two direct outs. 1/4" plugs shoved into
the inserts to the first click get the job done.

I admit that when I do more critical live venue recording of music I use a
better mic preamp, like my Symmetrix SX202. I guess its better, I've never
done any close comparisons.

Furthermore, the DMP3 has built-in guitar inputs, so if you don't already
have a direct box (I own two either of which cost almost as much as the MXB
1002), it may be more economical, over all.
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 2:50:09 PM

>>> I think the MXB1002 is the lowest
>>> cost Behr mixer with anything like two direct outs.

> By direct outs, are you referring to a tap on the preamp before signal
> runs through the rest of the mixer?

Yes.

> If yes, I assume you suggest this
> to minimize extra noise introduced by the mixer circuitry.

In this application, I'm interested in being able to use the mixer for
controlling monitoring, while not affecting the recording with the faders,
etc.

> How significant is the additional noise not to want to use the main outs?

That depends on the position of the faders. Many consoles also have
equalizers in those paths, and I prefer to record dry and add processing
later on. That way I can try different things after the tracking is done.

> I can get away with a UB1002 ($60), but sounds like it has no direct
outs.

So it seems. The pix show line level inputs,but no insert jacks

> I'm more worried about the sound quality of the Behr's preamps... Behr
> is cheap, and I can always use the functionality, but my gut tells me
> the sound of a dedicated pre (DMMP3) is going to be noticeably
> superior.

Who knows? Just because you pay more for it doesn't mean it has to work
better.

> Do any of the small Behr have guitar imp. level inputs?

I don't know for sure, but I suspect not. Behr does have a low-cost direct
box - about $30.
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 2:50:10 PM

The phantom power of an MXB1002 is 23V, probably won't drive your Neumann
mic properly.

> > I'm more worried about the sound quality of the Behr's preamps... Behr
> > is cheap, and I can always use the functionality, but my gut tells me
> > the sound of a dedicated pre (DMMP3) is going to be noticeably
> > superior.

At the DMP3's pricepoint, the VU meters are a serious waste of money. It's
just an Audio Buddy with window dressing. There is no way that the pre's
are any better than the typical Behringer/Mackie stuff, just like the rest
of M-Audio's product line.

If I were you I'd get a Soundcraft Notepad and M-Audio Transit. I can
attest that the Notepad sounds better (even going through the mixer through
the main outs) than the MXB1002's direct outputs. The MXB is a much more
versatile unit, but if it's simple good tone you're after, the Notepad goes
for ~$80 on eBay, $150-ish new. There are other sub-compact mixers from
Soundcraft now, but I thought the Notepad did better than their E-series,
for example, more on par with the FX16. The Transit's minijack input is
something you don't want to use in the field, but should be fine at home,
only about $80 as well. That leaves you plenty for a DI.
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 3:56:21 PM

>>The phantom power of an MXB1002 is 23V, probably won't drive your
Neumann
>>mic properly.

Nice catch! I checked, and the smaller UB1002 does list 48v phantom.
Anybody know if Behr's 48v phantom spec is for real when put to the
test?
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 10:04:31 PM

> >>The phantom power of an MXB1002 is 23V, probably won't drive your
> Neumann
> >>mic properly.
>
> Nice catch! I checked, and the smaller UB1002 does list 48v phantom.
> Anybody know if Behr's 48v phantom spec is for real when put to the
> test?

Yes, it is. The 23V phantom on the MXB1002 is cost-saving comprimise to
facilitate battery-powered 18V phantom on the same circtuitry. The UB
models don't run on batteries so the phantom power is the standard 48V, no
reason to skimp there.

However, a Neumann mic paired with a Behringer mixer is like Dom Perignon
paired with a Big Mac.
!