CoolEdit Pro vs. Audition

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
March 15, 2005 7:20:36 PM

Did Adobe Audition really add very many important new features to
CoolEdit Pro? I see that one of the highly-touted "new" features of
Audition is the ability to select part of a waveform and drag and drop
it somewhere else in the waveform. But isn't this pretty much the same
as the old CoolEdit "punch through" command? Any information would be
apppreciated. I'm trying to decide whether to upgrade.

More about : cooledit pro audition

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 8:05:12 PM

Bill wrote:

> Did Adobe Audition really add very many important new features to
> CoolEdit Pro? I see that one of the highly-touted "new" features of
> Audition is the ability to select part of a waveform and drag and
drop
> it somewhere else in the waveform. But isn't this pretty much the
same
> as the old CoolEdit "punch through" command? Any information would
be
> apppreciated. I'm trying to decide whether to upgrade.

When Adobe bought out Syntrillium's Cool Edit Pro,
they simply made a few bug fixes and rebranded it as
Audition 1.0.
With Audition 1.5 there are some significant new
features most notably the use of VST plugins,
and a pitch correction utility.

http://www.adobe.com/products/audition/newfeatures.html

http://www.adobe.com/products/audition/pdfs/audition_nf...

I say go for it.

rd
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 9:07:40 PM

Adobe is a little heavier than Cool Edit Pro. I like Cool Edit Pro for
editing because undos and redos are really easy; the for some stupid
reason took the feature out in Adobe Audition. They're both great
software and you won't really need Adobe Audition unless you want some
extra features which you probably won't be using. I use Adobe Audition
to record and Cool Edit Pro to master.
March 16, 2005 4:11:51 AM

www.HassanAnsari.com - Writer / Singer / Rapper / Producer
wrote:
> Adobe is a little heavier than Cool Edit Pro. I like Cool Edit Pro for
> editing because undos and redos are really easy; the for some stupid
> reason took the feature out in Adobe Audition.

Huh? Not so.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 12:50:49 PM

"Bill" <bcrowell@excite.com> wrote in message
> Did Adobe Audition really add very many important new features to
> CoolEdit Pro? I see that one of the highly-touted "new" features of
> Audition is the ability to select part of a waveform and drag and drop
> it somewhere else in the waveform. But isn't this pretty much the same
> as the old CoolEdit "punch through" command? Any information would be
> apppreciated. I'm trying to decide whether to upgrade.

For me, the frequency space editing feature that is new to Adobe Audition
1.5 is something I would now have trouble doing without. I would never go
back to Cool Edit.
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 5:41:04 PM

On 15 Mar 2005 16:20:36 -0800, "Bill" <bcrowell@excite.com> wrote:

>Did Adobe Audition really add very many important new features to
>CoolEdit Pro?

Some of the new features of AA 1.5 are very important for me.
I use the Marquee selection tool very often along with Fill
single click now. The latter function was reworked to fill
"clicks" that are longer than 0.1 sec. Both together help me
a lot to eliminate a cough in a live recording. I select all
frequencies above 2,000 Hz and use Fill single click to inter-
polate over the cough. If that creates to many artefacts I try
Hiss removal together with the Marquee cursor.

The automatic click remover fills the gap between Reduce
bg noise and the (manual) Fill single click.

I don't use many elaborated function of the multitrack side of
AA so any improvements weren't noticed.

OTOH the new features are added without introducing new bugs,
AA continues to be reliable and stable.

Norbert
!